18' Series cabin pressure

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
hey all,

was just wondering what people have used to equalise the cabin pressure in the van whilst travelling to help keep the dust out of an expanda?
I know there is a name for the thingy-ma-bobby that you install on your roof, just cant remember what it is?

any advise would be very appreciated.

thanks again :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Scupper vent

I just rolled around under the van on a creeper re-sealing all the floor penetrations, gaps and joins with Sika roof and gutter and haven't had any dust issues at all

Reactions: Dean81

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
Scupper vent

I just rolled around under the van on a creeper re-sealing all the floor penetrations, gaps and joins with Sika roof and gutter and haven't had any dust issues at all

hey Crusty,

did you install a scupper vent as well? we are doing a big trip from Brissy to Broome in the middle of the year, just wondering if its warranted or not?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
hey Crusty,

did you install a scupper vent as well? we are doing a big trip from Brissy to Broome in the middle of the year, just wondering if its warranted or not?
No. We have 3 largish roof hatches each with significant gas venting along with the lower gas door step vent that would have needed to be blocked to enable any effective pressurisation. Sealing all the under floor stuff with Sika roof and gutter along with other sub floor gaps and joins worked very well for us. Pay particular attention to the external join of where the plastic wheel arch skirts meet the chassis. I sealed that, but found that once the sealer in that area started to break down after about 8 months that was the only place we started to get dust in, which stopped once I re-sealed it.

To put that all into perspective over 14mths amongst others we did the Tanami, Gibb, and Savannah. I permanantly fitted a fish tank filter pad to the lower gas vent which is in my step, not the door, and I only sealed the fridge vent a couple of times throughout the 14 mths.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As the Crusty dude said, I sealed joints, rear lights where the cables entered the van put plugs in drains as they will cause a low pressure in van to suck in dirt, no dirt gets in...........................most 3 way fridges the rear should be fully sealed from the inside so dust shouldn't be getting in..................I have a roof scupper vent but it stays shut as not needed.

Reactions: Dean81