Toy Hauler Building extra cabinets and under bed storage?

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi all,
About to start planning an additional rear wardrobe for the back of the Basestation, along with a box of sorts under the bed to house the relocated battery (to help reduce ball weight).
Has anyone built their own wardrobe or storage unit?
Paul

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 is the carpenter - maybe he has some suggestions for you........?
I was chatting with a mate yesterday afternoon. He's seen first hand all the effort and mods Ive made to the van. He asked (seriously) why I didn't just build my own van. My response was I couldn't bring myself to build it so cheap and flimsy (not a cheap shot at Jayco .... this time anyway) If I built the exact same van it would weigh at least a full tonne more than mine does. I look at the cabinetry and just close my eyes and shake my head. I guess Jayco have cheapened it all down to such a fine line that it still hangs on ... just.

The way Jayco is very simple and the materials are all available either via Jayco directly or generally if your not fussed on matching colors. You can buy 2.4x1.2 matching sheets of both 12mm and 9mm ply, the plastic knock-on shelf edge strip, the universal corner connectors and hardware.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What did you say...........????????

pictures for us NON carpenters please......
Whats left of a coupe of 2.4mx1.2m sets of 12mm ply that matches the van
2015-11-21 15.22.37.jpg

Universal connectors that Jayco join "everything" with, they are common in furniture industry
2015-11-21 15.33.53.jpg

Push on shelf edging. Comes in length of 2m from memory
2015-11-21 15.34.24.jpg

Jayco also supply all the hinges, handles etc if required

Last edited by a moderator: