Breakaway battery charging?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Just a side note... on my last van I noticed that when I pushed the test button nothing would happen. I took it into Jayco for a service and asked them to take a look, they checked all the tail lights etc :doh: and said they couldn't find any problems. SO.... I thought I would take a closer look, 5 minutes later I found that the fuse on the actual battery was blown. This is how it came out of the factory! So it was never getting a charge and would never have worked in an emergency!!

Oh.. and both vans I've had charge that battery on 240v
So your saying your previous 17' and your Basestation charge the brakeaway battery on mains?

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
ok.. so this is what I found.
  1. The van is bloody hot inside!
  2. The charge light is on when battery is on and power is off.
  3. The charge light is on when battery is off and power is on.
  4. The charge light is off when battery is off and power is off.
I usually have my van plugged in all the time during camping season and when its not plugged in its still getting charged from the 300W of solar. Same deal with the 17.

Sunny

Aug 19, 2013
Lake Macquarie
ok.. so this is what I found.
  1. The van is bloody hot inside!
  2. The charge light is on when battery is on and power is off.
  3. The charge light is on when battery is off and power is on.
  4. The charge light is off when battery is off and power is off.
I usually have my van plugged in all the time during camping season and when its not plugged in its still getting charged from the 300W of solar. Same deal with the 17.

So, your battery isolator allows your solar to charge it whilst off grid (#2) when switched on. And then when connected to mains it is charging via ?? Not the Setec?

Homebrewpig

Feb 27, 2013
I come across this by accident and has me more than curious, we have a 2013 17.56.1, and cant remember anything at handover about the break away unit/battery where is it. I attached the break away lanyard to the vehicle but didn't know it had a stand along?? battery

Sunny

Aug 19, 2013
Lake Macquarie
I come across this by accident and has me more than curious, we have a 2013 17.56.1, and cant remember anything at handover about the break away unit/battery where is it. I attached the break away lanyard to the vehicle but didn't know it had a stand along?? battery

Hi there, it surprises me that given the purpose of the breaksafe battery and system that they don't explain it thoroughly at handover!
I think this thread covers most of the queries anyway, but in summary the battery for the break safe unit when connected to your car should (if wired correctly) be getting re charged. You should find the battery beneath the chair/cushion (closest to front of van).
Thanks to fellow forum members I have now added a simple charger for the break safe battery which operates whilst my van is parked up on 240V.
Hope that helps

Reactions: Homebrewpig