Electrical Brake wiring

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
Hi all.

Done
20191009_161638.jpg
some hard kms and put my head under van. See photo. Brake wiring on both rear wheel has ripped out. I can reconnect the wires but the ones from hub are same colour. Does it matter which way the are connected back together?

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
No, it doesn't matter which way they are connected. The electro magnets in the brake assembly are not sensitive to polarity.

That will be the easy part. You will need to put some thought into routing the cables and protecting them so it doesn't happen again.

cheers
Mike

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
No, it doesn't matter which way they are connected. The electro magnets in the brake assembly are not sensitive to polarity.

That will be the easy part. You will need to put some thought into routing the cables and protecting them so it doesn't happen again.

cheers
Mike
Thanks mike

Yeah, just a bush fix today but needs a bit more thought. While van is back on bitumen today after a huge trip. She needs a lot of TLC...

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Try to cable tie the wires around the axle as a temp measure to keep the strain off the wires going into the hub. If they break off you are up for a lot more work either rejoining the wires inside the hub or fitting new magnets. Either way it means removing the hub and repacking the bearings.

cheers
Mike

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
Try to cable tie the wires around the axle as a temp measure to keep the strain off the wires going into the hub. If they break off you are up for a lot more work either rejoining the wires inside the hub or fitting new magnets. Either way it means removing the hub and repacking the bearings.

cheers
Mike
I added a 3inch length of wire so plenty of play....

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
The connectors on mine were smashed to bits so I bought new automotive type ones from jaycar, covered all the cables (which were just hanging down from the factory) with split tubing, and then used a dob of silicon to hold the connector up behind the axle, well out of trouble. Silicon is good because it will hold a cable but can be easily peeled off later.