Birdsville Track

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi all,
We are leaving Emerald(Qld) on Friday headed for Lake Eyre. We are pulling a 20.64 expanda. Any news on either the Strezleki or Birdsville track down to Marree. We have not been to Birdsville or Innaminka so either way will be good.
We have done plenty of rough roads before, eg the Gibb and up to Cape Leveque so we are not new to less than average roads

I look forward to your help
Cheers
David

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi David,
Neither the Birdsville or Strezleki is a "track" they are both well formed roads and overall in excellent condition.
The worse stretch of the Birdsville is between Mungerannie and Marree
While it was last year (Sept) that we did both I doubt that they would be in much worse condition then they were then, might even be better if that's possible.

Innamincka is a great place to visit, I was amazed at the amount of water there was, mind you there is also approx 10 billion flies per sq km.

My only caution would be to stay off of Cordillo Downs Road. The northern end is strewn with as many rocks as there is flies in Innamincka.
My avatar has a pic of Cordillo Downs shearing shed in the background but I'm not sure it was worth the effort, it would be so easy to break something on that road.

Regards,
Greg.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi David,
Neither the Birdsville or Strezleki is a "track" they are both well formed roads and overall in excellent condition.
The worse stretch of the Birdsville is between Mungerannie and Marree
While it was last year (Sept) that we did both I doubt that they would be in much worse condition then they were then, might even be better if that's possible.

Innamincka is a great place to visit, I was amazed at the amount of water there was, mind you there is also approx 10 billion flies per sq km.

My only caution would be to stay off of Cordillo Downs Road. The northern end is strewn with as many rocks as there is flies in Innamincka.
My avatar has a pic of Cordillo Downs shearing shed in the background but I'm not sure it was worth the effort, it would be so easy to break something on that road.

Regards,
Greg.
Cheers Greg
Great information. You might be able to help with another one since you are from down in SA. We are going to the Flinders for 4 days. Staying at Rawnlsey Park. Any must do things you can recommend
Cheers
David

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
When we did the Birdsville track it was shocking after the races, we had to go cordillo because the strezleki was impassable due to previous rain, you never know what the conditions are in advance but we loved the experience anyway. Innamincka pub steak sandwich and a schooner of James Squire 150 lashes was a welcome delight, but I think @2slow was wrong about the flies he obviously missed a few when he counted them

Reactions: 2slow

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
DRW, I was allowing for the fact that the rain was a while ago and I would have thought a grader would have been over them by now but I could be wrong just as I was about the flies. Seriously though Red1 take one of those netted hats, you'll thank me many times over, I guarantee it.

Of the 2 roads I'd say the Strezlecki would be the one to use as it is maintained for the gas/oil fields at Moomba etc. The oil/gas derricks can been seen from the road.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi Red1,

We have been to the Flinders a couple of times in the last 2-3years. Stayed at Wilpena Pound caravan/campground and I reckon you have the right idea by staying somewhere else. The last time we were there the place was chokkas and the amenities filthy, obviously hadn’t been cleaned properly for months.

If your budget stretches the flights over Wilpena Pound are absolutely spectacular.

The Brachina Gorge Geological Trail Drive is excellent and a visit to the townships of Blinman and Parachilna are also worthwhile. I wouldn’t call them stunning but they are interesting places and the mine tour at Blinman is informative.

The walks inside Wilpena Pound can be strenuous but are a great way to see the Pound.

The main roads in and out of the area are sealed and any dirt roads are well maintained and shouldn’t cause any problems.

Greg.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi Red1,

We have been to the Flinders a couple of times in the last 2-3years. Stayed at Wilpena Pound caravan/campground and I reckon you have the right idea by staying somewhere else. The last time we were there the place was chokkas and the amenities filthy, obviously hadn’t been cleaned properly for months.

If your budget stretches the flights over Wilpena Pound are absolutely spectacular.

The Brachina Gorge Geological Trail Drive is excellent and a visit to the townships of Blinman and Parachilna are also worthwhile. I wouldn’t call them stunning but they are interesting places and the mine tour at Blinman is informative.

The walks inside Wilpena Pound can be strenuous but are a great way to see the Pound.

The main roads in and out of the area are sealed and any dirt roads are well maintained and shouldn’t cause any problems.

Greg.
Great , thanks for the ideas. Probably won’t be up for flights as we are going over lake Eyre from Marree. Have to be another time.
David

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
When we did the Birdsville track it was shocking after the races, we had to go cordillo because the strezleki was impassable due to previous rain, you never know what the conditions are in advance but we loved the experience anyway. Innamincka pub steak sandwich and a schooner of James Squire 150 lashes was a welcome delight, but I think @2slow was wrong about the flies he obviously missed a few when he counted them
Thanks for your help. We will make a couple of calls to the Birdsville and Innaminka pubs during the week
David

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Good idea to make some phones calls but to be honest I'm not sure about calling the pubs.
Birdsville has a tourist info center staffed by locals and I reckon they'd have a better idea than a backpacker bartender at the pub. The Birdsville visitors center is is well worth a visit, great video about the history of the region.
Innamincka has a Rangers station and once again the pub is staffed by backpackers some of whom might know but from my experience I don't reckon they'd shyte from clay.

Reactions: Bluey

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
When I said the Birdsville Track was really bad all we did was slow right down it was full of corrugations from all the race traffic and windy as hell, the Cordillo road was absolute crap but we had no choice at the time as the others were closed, but even if you arrive and conditions are not perfect if its not raining or hasn't been for a while its not really difficult just slow down and enjoy the scenery but yeah take a netted hat!!!

Reactions: mfexpanda