Chassis Bike Rack

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Thanks @bigcol,
Wasn't aware, am now:banplease:, nope not a member of their forum, all the info I have gathered here has been solid IMO. 2 mins looking on their forum this morning has cured me of the original curiosity based comment:eek-53:.

Cheers Max.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
2 mins looking on their forum this morning has cured me

sorry to have put you through that

I have noted on that forum there is sometimes good ideas / advice given - but its far to hard trying to dig it out

I think one of the reasons why this forum is great is that everyone has their opinion, and it is done in a friendly helpful way
not bombastic negatives from armchair experts

just my $0.02 worth

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And....the puerile idiotic questions that are often asked. I know we all have to start somewhere but when did the scattergun approach to knowledge replace good common sense? It's easier to ask basic questions on five different forums in the hope someone will take pity rather than do the basic research...even dr Google can provide simple answers to simple questions.

Eg I've just bought a camper trailer. Do I need a gas bottle? Or a spare tyre?

Maybe I'm having another grumpy day but at least on this forum people with common issues / areas of interest do contribute to the knowledge base by sharing their experiences. Preaching is rare.

(It's interesting to note when doing a search for something..,, in my case it was inverters and size requirements for coffee machines ....how often a post in this forum comes up high on the list) and so I did my homework, as suggested by @bigcol) and, yes, I now know a lot more about that topic.

But there's a lot I don't know! Including anything about bike racks.

So......:focus:......again

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
No answer re what it's going on so I'll add my 2c worth, we have a fiamma rack on the rear of our Journey and were very happy with it, no problem with the bikes moving around as I have had a mate follow and check, bikes are safe, secure and out of the way.
12112352_10207524828705213_4775480438641494916_n (1).jpg
12074903_10207485237755464_7005446455650403055_n.jpg

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ok I'm over my grump!

And I wasn't having a dig at @Rick or anyone else though I now realise it could be taken that way.

Apologies if it was!

I'd been looking for some more info....this time on battery chargers ....and was directed to that "other forum". By the time I'd plodded through all the irrelevant nonsense there, I was fed up and still couldn't find what I wanted!

What a waste of effort. I'm now exhausted after my apology so I'll start a new thread with the query I had....later.

:banplease:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You were just fishing again @Dobbie.............................................................Bike racks??, yes your are correct @bigcol , I do recall the post you mentioned and have no flamin idea other than it was a pretty cool set up..............................when I see people putting 3 or 4 bikes up I think must be a big van to carry that many 750's..................( relating to 750 Honda's etc )

So as usual my input is nothing more than eye fodder, hoping for the possible smile................................

Rick

Oct 19, 2014
Add...

How many bikes?
How heavy are they?
Fitted direct to the rear bumper?

8-)

Never had personal experience but a lot of people suggest NOT to put the bikes on the rear end due to bouncing around (Leverage issue) and others have lost theirs on their travels and knew nothing of it until they stopped somewhere :oops:

Some have done it without any issues so guessing it all depends on how it is mounted and strengthened????
If you scroll down the page there are a list of "Similar Threads". One of them may be of help to you @Rick ?

Otherwise someone with experience in these will pop in and answer your questions for you!
hi only going to put 2 adult bikes on it so would say 15kg each and a wild guess and yes thinking a rack fitted to the rear bar by a pressed plate with a couple gusets to brace the mounting point.

Reactions: dagree

Rick

Oct 19, 2014
Add...

How many bikes?
How heavy are they?
Fitted direct to the rear bumper?

8-)

Never had personal experience but a lot of people suggest NOT to put the bikes on the rear end due to bouncing around (Leverage issue) and others have lost theirs on their travels and knew nothing of it until they stopped somewhere :oops:

Some have done it without any issues so guessing it all depends on how it is mounted and strengthened????
If you scroll down the page there are a list of "Similar Threads". One of them may be of help to you @Rick ?

Otherwise someone with experience in these will pop in and answer your questions for you!

thankyou it worries me more not seeing what's going on behind me and losing the bikes

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Cheeky sod!

No need for either of them.

Gas bottle...just cadge from someone nearby (we've already met those people)

Spare tyre...why would you need one? The tyres on the trailer are fine! Do I need to check the pressure? How do I do that!

:o

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Gas bottle...just cadge from someone nearby (we've already met those people):o

yeah, I met a couple like that once - "oh, I cannot get the gas to work"......... found out next day, was an empty bottle & not connected......

Spare tyre...why would you need one? :o

and honestly, how many time have you had a flat on the Van..............
all that extra weight your carrying around - why, thats 0.2L per 1000kms you can save without it
plus your stability will be enhanced

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
its a 16. 49. 1 and its a 2006 year

Hi @Rick. It depends on the type of rear bar fitted.

If it's one of the round ones, it probably won't be strong enough.
If it's the heavier outback version, rectangular, then it's possibly strong enough.

I'd definately talk to someone who can look at the bar, the brackets and give you some ideas and advice. I definately wouldn't base my decision on anything else.

So....good luck!

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
looks nice, not the one I was thinking of, but yeah - same principle I was think...........

Hey @bigcol

When I upgraded to the 20.63 from the 16 I tried to sell the bike rack that I fabricated in gumtree and no one was interested.
If I had of know you would have been keen to copy one, I would have gladly given it to you rather than chop it up and put it in the bulk rubbish pickup for the council to collect after all those hours of fabrication.

Skip

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Hi @Rick,
I ummed and ahhed about bike racks and how to get them onto the front drawbar, rear drawbar etc - but without access to a decent welder or the skills to use one my options were limited. Taking all the options into account regarding cost, the ability to carry 4 adult mountain bikes, and wanting to be able to easily check on the bikes during travel, we settled on the Thule Proride. By buying on Ebay from a reputable seller in Germany (had to spend an hour or two using googles translate function to ensure i was getting what i wanted) we got 4 bike racks delivered for about $700 (they were $1000 from an Aust seller). They are set up with two bikes facing forward and two backwards and fit with no problems. I just use a small stepladder (that we carry in the van already) to put the bikes on top. Have done several trips and very solid
Pic as follows,
Cheers, Jemmo
file1-2_Ink_LI.jpg