BF Falcon as Tug don't use overdrive.

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
P1010300.jpg
G'day,
we have been towing a 14.442 expanda(rear bed) and now a 16-52.2 Discovery with OB frame and found it excellent.
This is a 2007 BF Futura ex police car with Police fitted Munro shocks and low springs(lower than xr6) plenty of power and yes added an oil cooler and Anderson plug.(de tuned engine to civilian specs)
Hayman Reece tow gear.

The only trick to remember is never tow in overdrive, our auto guy told us this and it is in the Ford manual.I bring this up as several people I have come across use overdrive while towing.XR6 cars cannot tow the same loads according to the Ford Manual.14-16 litres per 100k at 85 to 100k and creeps up above that so at 110 more like 18 per 100k and 20 at 110.
Very comfortable and no worries with servo access as the van is high .
The combo looks good and works well.

Greg

Attachments

• P1010300.jpg
    P1010300.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 415

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
interesting... im running a territory awd, usually sits at 100kph on long hauls and averages 12-13L per 100. I leave the transmission out of 6th. towing 16ft xpanda.

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
Hmm, I'm sure the falcon would be using less fuel in OD but not good for the box.
So far I have only towed North and south of Newcastle to Hervey Bay so experience is limited maybe the territory has different drive/gearbox ratios as it is designed for heavier use? Don't know. could the heavier tug help inertia up hills ?
A quick google http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34052 however smooth driving and good maintenance may improve these figures?
Also I am believing the fuel consumption and average gauge. Is it accurate???
Still the BF cost 15K 3 years ago with 48k on the clock so a cheap tug for towing.
The BF uses 12k on short runs around town with no van and 8-10 litres loaded on long trips with no van!

Thanks for the comment .

Reactions: LUK77Y

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Used overdrive in my BA, until I blew the transmission, after the rebuild never used OD and never had another problem. In thee ranger I use 6th and return good figures at 110

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Thats pretty much the rule for any car.... downhill or no load is the only time you can really get away with it without causing dramas. I know with the cruisers its better to drive in S (sports) and manual shift between gears to increase fuel economy and decrease TFT (Auto Transmission Fluid Temperature)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Same with the PJ, keep it out of OD and it will pull up hill and dale all day long, I usually have it in drive around town to take off etc.
4th in a 5 speed transmission is the most direct gear in the driveline,

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
When you mean dont use overdrive are you saying only use Power/Sports Mode? I have a XR6 FG 6spd and tow a 16.49 and find I get around 14-15L to 100km and always just selected normal Drive on the Auto. I found on a trip where I was selecting back and forth between modes on hills that I consumed more fuel.

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
When you mean dont use overdrive are you saying only use Power/Sports Mode? I have a XR6 FG 6spd and tow a 16.49 and find I get around 14-15L to 100km and always just selected normal Drive on the Auto. I found on a trip where I was selecting back and forth between modes on hills that I consumed more fuel.
Hey Sledge, how do you find the XR sits when your drop the weight onto the ball? What size wheels 18's or 19's?

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
Yes that's right ,
Always in sports mode never overdrive(right hand side normal auto if you like).
My Ford manual(page 232) says BF 2300kg with braked trailer and 230 kg ball with approved towing system.
However it says 1600kg for XR6 turbo and XR8 vehicles with auto.
All manual gearboxes with braked trailer are limited to 1200kg !
Sledge hope yours is not turbo?
My ex cop car is fitted with short springs and top of the range Muro shock so while lower than an xr6 it doesn't often bottom out cause it is stiff.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Hey Sledge, how do you find the XR sits when your drop the weight onto the ball? What size wheels 18's or 19's?
I find the rear drops around 2cm with 170kg on towball however I have a 600lb WDH which gets it back up and produces a nice ride. My wheels are 17s but dont think the outer diameter differs whether 18 or 19. Overall I find the FG XR 6spd auto a great towing car that never struggles. My only bad habit is driving to traffic speed because the car has got the grunt which instead should be driving to the rpm to get better fuel economy.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Yes that's right ,
Always in sports mode never overdrive(right hand side normal auto if you like).
My Ford manual(page 232) says BF 2300kg with braked trailer and 230 kg ball with approved towing system.
However it says 1600kg for XR6 turbo and XR8 vehicles with auto.
All manual gearboxes with braked trailer are limited to 1200kg !
Sledge hope yours is not turbo?
My ex cop car is fitted with short springs and top of the range Muro shock so while lower than an xr6 it doesn't often bottom out cause it is stiff.
No, mine is not the turbo and has the same towing specs as the BF. Whilst the FG manual doesnt mandate using sports mode when towing it just recommends if driving hills and towing, so not sure why this is as the 6spd produces a smooth drive with good economy. I havent had any issues with bottoming out as the XR6 has a sports suspension which I find is stiff enough. I am getting better economy than yours though with 14-15L per 100km but the series 2 FG was rated the most economical model. Last weekend I did a trip to the ACT without towing and was getting 9L per 100km.

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
Hmm, The FG is more refined than the BF and I guess 6 speed gives a smoother change and less work for the box( I drove trucks a bit and the more gears the better ), when climbing big hills mine kicks down and revs high.
Yes my van weighs similar to yours and drops about the same
Same problem with mine if I don't use cruise control I end up at traffic speed when my best economy is 85-100 k.
My BF has 130,000 k and most likely did 200kph a few times in her former life so wear has a bit to do with it? Changed the oil today to see if that helps.
I'm very happy towing with my Falcon(cost 15k at auction 52,000k on the clock and 3 years warranty left) and unlike many see no reason to go the truck path.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
I reckon the falcon is the greatest value for money for towing. Pretty sure there are no other sixes that can beat it in torque and if you shop around you pick up a new xr6 for 32k and a 2yrold for under 20k and Im certainly no ford fanatic. I just hope they keep making the straight 6 in oz and dont sell out to a yank v6 model as I would probably buy another with the price of other towing options.:)

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
ive had the XR6T FG and now have a the current series 2 release, beautiful car with absolute buckets of horse power and torque, the 6 speed trans is flawless and I average fuel economy of 9.3 to 9.8. On my first turbo, I towed a 2000 kg boat at about 13.2 to 14.3, for the caravan I use the wife's territory which sits about 13 to 14.5 on average. I was just not comfortable with the 200kg on the back axle with that weight. However is rated at 230kg on heavy hitch.