Toy Hauler Best inclusions in a work n play....

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
I have just ordered a 2015 WnP :)
I have a bit of a wait for the build, but only have a week or 2 left to make alterations/inclusions on the order and was wondering what tips you guys might have? We pretty much always free camp with 2 kids and ride dirt bikes, surf and generally pack lots of toys!

Apart from standard 2015 inclusions I have 3 bunks in the back, a 4 burner stove, extra water tank, external shower, drifter control panel, provision for 2nd battery, and Anderson plug on the draw bar for additional solar, and drop down external table....
I look forward to hearing your tips..

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@nawill congrats on the new van, and a hearty welcome to the forum.

Few cheap considerations before the hordes start appearing, and tearing your wallet apart for you ..... off side external light, ext drawbar (better anyway, but also good for a tool box), a real good look at the power points with the view to add more, 12v outlets, outdoor tv point, get the extra battery (and any other heavy extras) because putting it in afterward it will bite into your toy weight capacity

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluey

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I assume that you have an ensuite in your design as well. Get another water tank if you can or a grey water tank as well. Outdoor wall table is handy as well.

I rate the stereo with indoor/ outdoor speakers worth the expense as well as a wind up TV aerial and TV bracket. I optioned this in my new van and rate it highly. .

One thought I am going to do is to create a belly locker for the anti-flap rails and curved rafters to the roll out awning. It may be worth having one made up as well to help balance the van when it is loaded.

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Thanks for the replies guys.....
Great source of info in here!

I added the off side external light today, near the external shower ;) and put bunk lights and 12v outlets on each bed head for the kids with iPods.....
Great to hear the stereo is good as I got the external speakers but was unsure about the quality...

I had a 3rd water tank, but have decided to plumb it as grey water. I heard that lots of national parks camp grounds require it for caravans free camping? (Somebody mentioned a $250 fine for not using one is this correct?)

Has anybody done much with the small space at the front of each of the rear bunks?
I was thinking of folding/TIGing up a bit of stainless sheet to make some shelving storage for that space at the rear bunk bed heads, and incorporating the bunk light/power outlet into it.....
Also looking to make some curtains to enclose the rear bunks when down..... Lots of ideas!

Saw a great rear bumper set up on one of the threads here, I will be looking to copy that!

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
My WnP comes off the factory line tomorrow .... Still a lot of work to be done at Jayco Queanbeyan fitting some extras, so won't see it for stew weeks yet.....

Got a week off to test it out at the end of the month, and I'm keen to use the front boot for storage of the bbq, but not real impressed with the options provided. I need a good size plate to feed the masses and I like the webber Q or Ziegler n Brown, especially for pizza/roasts!

What are you guys doing for bbq storage/front boot storage?

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
With the lid on our Baby-Q (high lid version) won't fit through the hatch by a mere 20mm. Lid off and inverted it goes in OK in a cardboard box at the moment.
I added to that build topic (linked to above) to show my relocation of the batteries from that front storage area to create more room and to alter the weight distribution. Not much use to anyone wanting to actually carry toys though, which would fix the weight issue.

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Thanks phil, you have some great
Ideas in there, I will be doing similar with the rear bumper, and some of your storage.....

I was looking at pulling all the feet off a standard webberq and it would have about 10mm clearance.... I think.
Getting a slide under it in that 10mm might be really pushing it, and I don't want to be assembling anything on set-up. (The whole reason I bought this over my old pop top was to reduce set-up time )
I think I'm going to have to get my hands on one and pull it apart and see what sort of low profile stand I can fabricate .....

These bbq's look good (but expensive!) interested to hear a review:
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=13270

A mate has one of these fitted into a WnP, but at $1000 for the bbq and slide, it looks very small and limited function for top dollar;
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=11316

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Last edited:
Reactions: nawill

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
$99 from BCF
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Bloody hard to beat that bigman!

I like a few more frills around my BBQ, but I am interested in the detail of the slide you made for that..... Got any more pics?

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Cheers mate,
Your description makes sense, did you just bolt the angle up to the slide through the floor?

I stopped in to had a look at my WnP at the dealer today....
A few things I'm not real impressed with, but will see what they fix up at PD.....overall a decent package, and glad I got the WnP over an expanda
I have some work to do getting the details in the finish right, and making it into a home....
confident I can do a better job than the factory....
Will post some pics when I get it

Reactions: DRW

Hadaja

Sep 1, 2014
Nice work n play.
Just heard that Jayco are deleting the Work n Play model. They ar also deleting the 21" Basestation and going with a new 19" basestation to cover both bases. Not sure of the internal floorplan of the 19" yet. You kight have gotten one of the last Work n plays.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Nice work n play.
Just heard that Jayco are deleting the Work n Play model. They ar also deleting the 21" Basestation and going with a new 19" basestation to cover both bases. Not sure of the internal floorplan of the 19" yet. You kight have gotten one of the last Work n plays.
Interesting. Must keep a watch out for replacement.

Hadaja

Sep 1, 2014
Something about a 7% price increase next year on expandas and a 3% increase on other models as these are going bannas for Jayco. Not sure but salesman said something about going to a different lid design on expandas as they were have some issues of some sort. Not sure what that means as there does not seem to be any online complaints from recent owners of the bed lids?
At $50k drive away for an outback 17.56-2 it makes me think maybe i should trade my older van in get one.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Nice work n play.

Hmmm.....

Interesting. Must keep a watch out for replacement.

Certainly has my attention.