14' Series Bed end weight Limit

Mistiqi

Nov 25, 2011
Hi

Considering a purchase of an expanda but wondering if anyone knows the weight limit for the expanding beds?

Not the lightest people so keen to understand whet they can take

Thsnks

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
now that is a good question that I have never thought about.........

I know I'm WAY over the 100kgs, and dont know how much SWMBO is........ (true, a man never asks how much his Lady weighs)

so I am guessing atleast close to if not over the 250Kgs

hopefully someone who actually knows will be long soon-ish........... now I'm scared...............

Reactions: blacky and dagree

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I just checked the owners handbook and there is no mention of a weight limit for the bed end. It does specify 75kg for the bunks though.

Reactions: Smirke

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I dont recall ever hearing an actual figure on this. Would love to know. i can tell you they are a pretty strong construction /design.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I have in my head 300kgs from the dealer but in no way quote me on that. I think I may have to go on a diet soon anyway!

If anyone knows or finds out a definitive answer can they definitely post...

Thanks

BJ.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I think they need a SWL on the beds and the rear door of the Basestation, currently if it becomes overloaded and fails, Jayco wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on.

Always had the scary thought that it would fail when we were "snuggling" and we would end up naked, busted up all over the draw bar!!! Makes me giggle like a little school boy every time I think about it!!

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Always had the scary thought that it would fail when we were "snuggling" and we would end up naked, busted up all over the draw bar!!! Makes me giggle like a little school boy every time I think about it!!

:photo::photo::photo:

Reactions: bigcol

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I think they need a SWL on the beds and the rear door of the Basestation, currently if it becomes overloaded and fails, Jayco wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on.

Trust me that you are not alone in that thought! My mind has gone to that exact point at one time or another whilst camping.

BJ.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA

Not as funny as it sounds @bigman0510 and NO!!!! it didn't happen to us....... Told a story last month while away about a couple that this same issue did happen to. Person telling us was a neighbour at the time and didn't know who was more embarrassed.... The couple or her as she was sitting no more than 6 metres away :o.

Her husband was disappointed as he wasn't there at the time and said that they were a young couple and the woman was... Well I'll leave the rest to your imagination :p

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Not as funny as it sounds @bigman0510 and NO!!!! it didn't happen to us....... Told a story last month while away about a couple that this same issue did happen to. Person telling us was a neighbour at the time and didn't know who was more embarrassed.... The couple or her as she was sitting no more than 6 metres away :o.

Her husband was disappointed as he wasn't there at the time and said that they were a young couple and the woman was... Well I'll leave the rest to your imagination :p
lol
See it can happen!

Reactions: dagree

vivkingsa

Aug 23, 2014
Whittlesea
Just throwing a thought in, We have an expanda and I've found it to be a bit of a pain to set up and climb in and out of if I'm feeling stiff and sore, not sure if that is a consideration people have when thinking of purchasing? While I love our expanda, I do find myself breaking a sweat every time we set up and it gets taxing on my back stretching and getting the beds organised. Our next van will have an island bed. As for weight Im not sure, I know it takes us (and snuggles ;)) and our combined weight is 160kgs (ish) Goodluck with your search, :)

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham

Don't forget.
Force = Mass x Acceleration......:p

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Just throwing a thought in, We have an expanda and I've found it to be a bit of a pain to set up and climb in and out of if I'm feeling stiff and sore, not sure if that is a consideration people have when thinking of purchasing? While I love our expanda, I do find myself breaking a sweat every time we set up and it gets taxing on my back stretching and getting the beds organised. Our next van will have an island bed. As for weight Im not sure, I know it takes us (and snuggles ;)) and our combined weight is 160kgs (ish) Goodluck with your search, :)
Gday vivkingsa

The bed setting up was exactly one of the reasons we sold our Panda and purchased our full height van and with ensuite (separate shower). Great while young, but hard as joints and muscles seize up!

vivkingsa

Aug 23, 2014
Whittlesea
Gday vivkingsa

The bed setting up was exactly one of the reasons we sold our Panda and purchased our full height van and with ensuite (separate shower). Great while young, but hard as joints and muscles seize up!

Hi Glen,
Well I'm 33 and consider myself pretty fit but when you wake up in the middle of the night busting for the toilet and having to climb over your partner to run out the door, (without waking the kids) it sure isn't easy. In saying that the advantage of having a 4 sleeper and still being small enough (16.49) for me to tow and reverse sure is convenient, Its a hard line isn't I?..... I wouldn't recommend these vans for anyone who struggles physically. My dad was looking at one and he's a really fit 65 year old and I convinced him otherwise, his back, knees shoulders just wouldn't cope...especially after sleeping on one of the worlds worst mattresses all night! :) But best of luck to you Mistiqi and I hope to see you on the road :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well one of the reasons we got the Starcraft was we worried about combined weight "not telling,lets just say we both had one to many cakes :) :behindsofa: " .Although Starcraft again its east-west bed so someone has to climb over and squish the other.. And I sleep outside so do kids toilet runs all night..

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

Better still, because the bed end canvas is screwed onto the base, you'd end up all bunched up at the bottom the canvas like a couple of onions the bottom of a hessian bag .... or if your canvas window were open, like chips in the frying basket and the fish shop.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi Glen,
Well I'm 33 and consider myself pretty fit but when you wake up in the middle of the night busting for the toilet and having to climb over your partner to run out the door, (without waking the kids) it sure isn't easy..

wait untill you get older mate - that once a night, may become several........ hehehehehehe

all seriousness though, to stop the "mad" dash to the toilet block in the middle of the night, and then being wide awake until you warm up etc

have a look at these....... I have them for winter times (or WA group meets) when the weather is too crappy to go outside
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NO-SMELL...15?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item417c4afa1b

very simple - use - tie up string - go back to bed - throw out in the morning............