17' Series Bed end covers what’s good?

EASTY

Apr 25, 2018
Gold Coast
Hi guys, I’m after some advice on the expanda bed end covers, what is good bad and are they even needed? I have seen canvas ones that look very constricting and also screen style covers...
Any experience with these would be greatly appreciated.
Easty

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
We’ve got vinyl covers. Great in wet weather, nothing gets wet. Great in cool weather as they keep the heat in. Not so good in summer for the same reason.

We don’t use privacy screens, don’t see the need. If we want privacy we close the window!

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
Have the Kakadu bed ends fitted. They are canvas, work great. The key is to keep them from touching the inside bed canvas. Ours are spaced 100mm apart from internal canvas and come with additional tie downs to ensure spacing.

Apr 25, 2018
Cranebrook NSW
Hi easty,
I’m only new too, I have factory Jayco canvas storm covers, used them just last weekend at Forster where we had rain for 4 days, worked well but i actually just ordered custom made full vinyl ones with zipper in each corner so we can still roll them up and get airflow when not raining etc, the reason I went with these is so if I have to pack them up wet I can basically wipe them over with a cloth and don’t have to unpack and dry them out when I get home etc, also have no concerns with the Jayco cover canvas sitting on the bed end canvas and eventually water seeping through!

turbopsi

Mar 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi easty,
I’m only new too, I have factory Jayco canvas storm covers, used them just last weekend at Forster where we had rain for 4 days, worked well but i actually just ordered custom made full vinyl ones with zipper in each corner so we can still roll them up and get airflow when not raining etc, the reason I went with these is so if I have to pack them up wet I can basically wipe them over with a cloth and don’t have to unpack and dry them out when I get home etc, also have no concerns with the Jayco cover canvas sitting on the bed end canvas and eventually water seeping through!

Any details on supplier and price? Cheers

EASTY

Apr 25, 2018
Gold Coast
Thanks for the prompt reply’s guys it’s great to see what user experience says over salesman speels...
@Simo’s and tam’s are you looking to off load your jayco covers or keeping them in case you need them. If you are looking to off load them let me know and we might be able to help each other out ;)
Just 5 days out from our first trip now and the excitement is building, kids are excited and we’re ready to go!

Apr 25, 2018
Cranebrook NSW
Any details on supplier and price? Cheers
Hey turbo psi,
Only order them yesterday at the expo in Sydney from Australiawide annexes(www.extendoutdoors.com.au)they do a range of things and will custom make whatever you want, $400 a end, I got them for $300 a end as I also ordered a complete annexe and porch at a excellent show price, awesome company, they come out to your house measure and fit all inc in price, my brother in law and his son law have both used them and highly recommended them. I won’t have mine for a while, as I don’t need them straight away and only had to pay a deposit to get the show price and can pay it off. But will post pictures when I do get them. And going off the stuff they have done for my brother in law won’t be disappointed!

Reactions: turbopsi
Apr 25, 2018
Cranebrook NSW
Thanks for the prompt reply’s guys it’s great to see what user experience says over salesman speels...
@Simo’s and tam’s are you looking to off load your jayco covers or keeping them in case you need them. If you are looking to off load them let me know and we might be able to help each other out ;)
Just 5 days out from our first trip now and the excitement is building, kids are excited and we’re ready to go!
Hi Easty, sorry but want to hang on to them for the moment.
Hope you enjoy your first trip, I did and by the first night away the wife was already planning the 2nd, 3trips now just came back from Forster nsw on Anzac Day and we are off to Dubbo nsw for June long weekend.
We all love it, beats working!

EASTY

Apr 25, 2018
Gold Coast
Yeah was worth an ask @Simo’s and tam’s , I’m sure we will love the expanda as much as we did the swan before it.... were off to Noosa this coming weekend with friends who bought the same van but a little older.. will be first time use for both of us!
Forster is a great place I’m sure you would have had a great time there even in the rain .
Would love to see some pics of your setup!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi guys, I’m after some advice on the expanda bed end covers, what is good bad and are they even needed? I have seen canvas ones that look very constricting and also screen style covers...
Any experience with these would be greatly appreciated.
Easty
@EASTY, @Simo’s and tam’s and any other newbies following on. Do yourself a favour and season your canvas bed ends before your first outing. The canvas is mostly water proof, its the stitching that will let you down. In the manufacturing process the sewing needle creates a large hole which is then only partly filled by a tiny non water proof thread. The internal zipper material is also not water proof and in the rain the stitching will wick the water though and into whatever is touching it, especially the zipper material eventually soaking it. Its not a fault, its common in all tents. Seasoning is the repeated soaking and drying particularly any stitching, which will cause shrinkage and close all the needle holes. For a complete job, finish by proofing the zipper material. I use Nikwax as my proofer of choice and Ive never had leakage issues in any on my 3 vans. Follow this and you wont either.

The wicking process is very obvious in the pic; its so soaked there are beads of water running off it yet the canvas is quite dry

IMG_0346.JPG

The current is our 3rd canvas bed end van, and 2nd Expanda. All 3 had only shade mesh flies (home made) and they were/are great. We had no issues with water and leakage anyway (as per above) so we never needed anything more than the privacy that mesh provides plus the shade mesh folds up inside the lid, which I prefer. The current van came with a purchase sweetener, the Jayco storm cover. We still have the shade mesh attached. The storm cover is a bit of a nuisance to install, in my case because it wont fold up in the lid. Because our bed end is competely water proof, so we have no need for a "storm cover". We rarely use storm cover but after getting smashed on a handful of occasions with extremes in temperature both hot and cold, we discovered the storm cover is enough to create a pocket of air that adds some thermal resistance to the bed end.

So although I don't have any need to actually purchasing one, Im glad Ive had it for the handful of occasions we've used it particularly for the cold.

Last edited:

EASTY

Apr 25, 2018
Gold Coast
@Crusty181 thank you mate for the advice...
We have the van setup atm and the rain has been on and off for the last cpl of days, there is no water to be seen anywhere as yet so I am quietly confident that we should be ok.
Like you say it would be good to have the storm covers as a back up for the one in one hundred storm we may get caught up in.
I’ll get some Nikwax like you advised and give the stitching a good seal aswell.
Thanks for your advise ;)
Easty

Reactions: Crusty181