Chassis Be aware - Trailamate

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
The other day the wheel dropped down while driving.
I had found it best to raise the trailamate in the drawbar clamp when towing the van, as I noticed the hydraulics didn't work too well if the unit was laid sideways while travelling.
But the inner shaft is held in place by a small bolt which screws up into the hydraulic ram. This had fallen out and that let the inner shaft to drop - fortunately it didn't come out of the outer shaft. I found a suitable bolt and used locktight on the thread so it shouldn't happen again!

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
I always just lay mine flat in the back of the car when travelling between sites.

There is also a "locking kit" (which was a bit of Stainless steel wire that you looped through the chassis and various parts of the Trailamate) which would mean the arm couldn't fall out - something like https://www.outbacktracks-au.com/product/trailer-mate-stainless-steel-security-cable/?v=6cc98ba2045f
Good idea, as I have wondered about theft, it is a security loop to stop theft, and not attachable to the foot or inner leg. It would not stop the inner leg from dropping if the bolt drops out while driving.