Electrical Battery

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the best value battery for my caravan please. I do not use it a lot but have it for lights, maybe TV (looking for free camping)/ 12v fan and charging of appliances.
I am considering buying a battery box that already has connections fitted and will use a short Anderson lead to outside the can where I can connect a solar blanket for longer stays.
I will use gas for cooking and kettle.
I am not a technical person but happy to answer any further questions if it helps get me some good advice.
Thanks in advance.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the best value battery for my caravan please. I do not use it a lot but have it for lights, maybe TV (looking for free camping)/ 12v fan and charging of appliances.
I am considering buying a battery box that already has connections fitted and will use a short Anderson lead to outside the can where I can connect a solar blanket for longer stays.
I am not a technical person but happy to answer any further questions if it helps get me some good advice.
Thanks in advance.

Check out 4WD Supa Centre here. They are offering free delivery on their battery and battery box and their products are usually pretty good.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
For ease of use and management and if you don't mind shedding a few sheckles, then a KickAss battery box with DC/DC charger isn't too bad, chuck a 120a AGM in it and from then on its just plug and play ........... Son has one for his Ute as he's a swag bloke and it runs his (my old Engel) and lights, charging phone/laptop etc while he's bush........... Comes with its own BMS so no need for panel regs just plug tug, panels into the box and it does its thing and you can plug van and/or fridge into the box to feed off battery.... Where you have the box is where ever you want really....... they come with multiple outlets anderson and cig lighter........... only down side is cost but if your starting from scratch then not really..... Your proposed use hooked to a 160w panel would cover the works...

This is the one the young bloke got, while I jagged at the cost once I added up things, its all right really, I sorted it out for him on his last visit and it works very well and is portable........... https://www.kickassproducts.com.au/...battery-box-power-station-with-in/KAJBAGMKIT2

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi,
Thanks in advance.
@1DayIll , what's wrong with using the BMS already in your van?? If you purchase a reasonable AGM 120 to 135ah for around $250.00 on Ebay including delivery, you are set all the time. If existing battery - if you have one!!!??? - has failed or no longer usable, all you do is connect up leads in existing battery container under bed or in cupboard. I expect that you have an early Setec ST20 Series II or III and you can still connect any solar panels to your battery direct. The battery box and all the Anderson plug connections are just more connections to be made, especially if you are not too good on electrics. Having to hump around a battery box with battery in it to get it into position is heavy work, something you don't have to do if battery is already in van. You can run your lights (12 volt), your 12 volt TV, fan and still be able to charge appliances with USB connections. Not to mention you can charge the van battery with a 240 volt connection when available, even though the Setec won't be able to fully charge an AGM properly. But it is YOUR money!!!!

Reactions: chartrock