Electrical Battery on switch

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Hi, I'm the same as @Colin&Sue and leave mine on - it charges the batteries, also, before I ran a memory wire for the stereo head unit, it kept all the setting etc. from being wiped.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I think I depends on your van ... our 2009 Expanda required the battery switch to be turned on in order to use and/or charge the battery, the switch basically isolated the battery from all activity. The new van with solar and a Drifter panel apparently charges wherever the battery switch points.

But either way the Setec is a smart charger and will help to keep your battery conditioned and extend it life .... so it likes to be on all the time when connected to mains. The only time you should probably turn it off will be to help stop any drain on the battery if the vans in storage and not connected to mains ...

Reactions: Drover

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
Remote Battery Isolate Switch: The ST-III series power supplies allow for connection to a remotely positioned switch that provides a manual disconnection of the battery from the loads and the main charger. When the switch contacts are closed, the battery will be isolated from the loads.

NOTE: When the battery is isolated from the loads using the battery isolate switch it will NOT charge at the 10/15 A rate even if the mains is connected to the power supply. In this condition it will ONLY charge at the Trickle charge rate.