Toy Hauler Battery Charging

stephen hoffman

Jun 7, 2016
New Zealand
I have a 2015 Basestation and wish to charge my battery when not plugged into the power grid ... I have a 300w generator (I've had it for years) with a 230v outlet .. can I just plug that (through my 3 pin plug adaptor) into the main power input plug on the van, or should I use a separate battery charger and connect directly to my van battery?
I know not to use the generators 12v outlet to charge the battery

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
You will need to find out what the Setec that is in your Base station pulls, I would be surprised if a 300w generator would be up to the task I know my 25amp Projecta charger has the potential to pull around 700w or more.

You may get away with a 300w genie and a small battery charger connected directly to the batteries but this may not be enough supply to keep your batteries over the 50% mark depending on what you are power you are consuming of course.

More info would be good battery size, length of stay off the gird, what you will running whilst off the grid etc. I'm thinking you may get away with a small battery charger and LED lighting but that would be about all.

I'm not a sparky but I am curious as to why it has a 230v power outlet instead of a 240v? does this matter I don't know maybe there is a sparky on here that knows.

The other thing to consider if you are going to use a generator to power your van is the fact that the RCD may not work, if you are going to do this on a regular basis I suggest you have an electrician replace the RCD with an RVD as these will function whilst using a stand alone power unit.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If your just charging the battery while not in use the genny would cover it but if you are running the van as well , lights, TV, pump it more than likely would have a problem. It wouldn't run a HWS or kettle..................... Charging via a charger direct to battery would be the best way as the least amount of loss the better.....

Reactions: bigcol