Battery and Generator

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hi Guys,

This may be a dumb question....seens as we have had our expanda for nearly a year...but...when we bought it second hand it was wired to take a battery, but didn't have one. We put a battery in and all has been good. When we come home from a trip, we plug it in to mains power and it recharges, obviously via the Cetec?? (i think it is called). During our recent flooding and power outages, we used the van for charging phones etc and used the fridge on gas. Now when checking the battery charge and water, it doesn't seem to have charged much. I think someone, has switched the battery switch on and off etc. My question is, do you need to have the battery switch on to charge the battery or not?

My second question...we have bought a Honda 2KVA generator to use when we are camping...is there anything specifically we need to do to recharge the battery when using the generator. Do you need to disconnect the cetec and/or have the battery switch on or off or do you plug where you normally plug when we are at home?

Hope I make sense and my questions aren't too silly!

Thanks,
Tracy

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
Hi Guys,

This may be a dumb question....seens as we have had our expanda for nearly a year...but...when we bought it second hand it was wired to take a battery, but didn't have one. We put a battery in and all has been good. When we come home from a trip, we plug it in to mains power and it recharges, obviously via the Cetec?? (i think it is called). During our recent flooding and power outages, we used the van for charging phones etc and used the fridge on gas. Now when checking the battery charge and water, it doesn't seem to have charged much. I think someone, has switched the battery switch on and off etc. My question is, do you need to have the battery switch on to charge the battery or not? It needs to be on

My second question...we have bought a Honda 2KVA generator to use when we are camping...is there anything specifically we need to do to recharge the battery when using the generator. Do you need to disconnect the cetec and/or have the battery switch on or off or do you plug where you normally plug when we are at home?
Just have the batter switch on and run the gennie as normal.It plugs intom the same lead as you would use at home

Hope I make sense and my questions aren't too silly!

Thanks,
Tracy

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
The battery switch needs to be ON or else the Cetec will only trickle charge the battery, and with a 100Ah battery, that could take days!!!

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Tracy,

We also have the Honda eu20i just make sure the battery isolator switch normally on the side of the seat is on (and the Setek is plugged in under the seat) then plug the genny into the normal inlet plug on the van and the setek will charge the battery.

If unsure and you have a multimeter check the voltage of the battery when connecting to the genny and you should see around 14.4v boost 13.3v float

Christian