Electrical Basic solar setup?

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi all, our Basestation came with the wires installed for solar but no panels.
Just pondering whether to enter the world of solar for the occasional free camping weekend.
I appreciate that you get what you pay for but what's involved to get started with the most basic roof top solar set up? I don't want mobile panels that could get stolen but one or two panels on the roof is the type of thing I'm thinking of.
Can I connect directly into the standard Jayco battery charger unit or do I need something else?
Interested to hear your advice.

Reactions: Drover

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Reactions: pauljygrant

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pr...-Solar-Panel-100-Watt/404672?menuFrom=1021346
Would this work? It was seeing this in their catalog that got me thinking of adding solar.

Yes that would be a start.

Price is very good....lowest I've seen for a 100 panel.

As to what's involved:

You need to fix it/ them on roof....check eBay for solar mounts...4 per panel....suggest two of those panels if they'll fit
Then you need wiring
Then you need to wire to a regulator...suggest one mounted in caravan so you can easily check it..mppt if possible but with a good, easy to read display with amps and volts
(Wiring is from panel to a regulator to the battery....the Setec is not a solar regulator, unlike some other on board chargers...unless they've changed recently...so it's a separate system)

It can be a bit fiddly....depends on how much time and expertise you have...so an auto electrician would make the whole exercise easier!

As to the quality/cost of panels, I've bought quite a few over the years (mid 90's on...) and have found that the high cost ...BHP for example...are not really much better than el cheapo Chinese imports which the super cheap ones are likely to be. The difference seems to be mainly in the quality of the frame and whether they come with a stand and a regulator. There may be some efficiency advantage but the lower cost of the others far outweighs that.

I'm now an el cheapo Chinese import convert!

Do you have a battery fitted? If not, I'd strongly suggest AGM rather than wet cell deep cycle. Far more efficient.

Also, once you start free camping, you'll love it. Even in busy caravan parks you can opt for unpowered and get away from the hordes....at least we do as we can't stand being lined up like soldiers...but that's a personal preference.

I've got to visit super cheap myself in the next day or two and I'm very tempted to grab a couple of those panels if they're any good! My little shed needs some lighting so I'll put a panel on the roof, use an old regulator, to an old battery ....with my 30 year old versa lights and I'll be able to see what I'm cooking...or drinking.

Good luck with it.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Hi @pauljygrant

IMO, you've gotten some good advice here so far.

There are numerous awesome solar setups out there, and I'm sure they work well - but like you, I like adequate and reasonable cost (which does not explain why I bought factory-installed from Jayco!).

Anyway, IMO for average consumers like me, "panels are panels". Yes, some are better than others, but I probably am not going to notice much difference. Does an average consumer like me care much about the latest and greatest of panel technologies which make single-digit percentage differences to efficiency? No. I am not disputing that it matters to some people - just not to me. FWIW, I think the panel you linked to from supercheap is probably just fine for the job. (I'd probably fit 3 of them, but that is MY choice and may not suit your needs)

Regulators - same thing IMO - a sensibly priced model "does the job" in my van. While there are more efficient ones on the market for sure, and certainly cheaper ones, this one seems to do the job just fine. The supercheap 30A solar regulator (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Ridge-Ryder-Solar-Charge-Regulator-30-Amp/362088) looks visually identical to the one Jayco fitted to my van (which is visually identical to this one from Caravansplus https://www.caravansplus.com.au/cat...ts_id=10992&osCsid=k2vm4gppkahfv1re7gbfmdoj13) - and it works a charm. Connect direct to battery always.

We have 2 x 100AH batteries - again, fitted ex-works.

We have 2 x 150W panels fitted - but as they are ex-works, I don't know the brand or other specs.

What I CAN tell you however, is that this system powers our needs without any need to minimise our usage. We often have 2 x TV's going (no, I don't know why either....), lit up like a Christmas tree, and being Tassie - the gas heater is often running. When cooking on the stove, the exhaust fan is pretty much always being used. We've never made much of a dent in our power reserves, according to the Drifter control panel.

Based on my experiences, and for our needs, I can vouch that reasonably prices solar solutions like the one you are looking at can and do work.

Edit - I should mention that one of the reasons I elected to go for 300w solar panel capacity (and not less) is that I live in Tassie. Apart from the middle of summer, the sun is rarely overhead, so harvesting ability takes a greater toll than at more northern latitudes. I figured a few extra dollars in panel costs would be appreciated down the track.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi @pauljygrant,

If you are looking are some free camping, plan the size of your solar panel/s based on your expected power usage.

There are plenty of different solar panel and battery setups and sizes to choose from when getting ready to free camp. What you need to do is look at what it is you want to do and keep running.

We free camp and use a 200W panel (2 x 100W folding) and 2 x 100AH batteries, CTEK 250S Dual DC-DC charger & solar regulator and a 2,500Watt inverter for the microwave, toaster, coffee machine, hair dryer and washing machine! Call if free Glamping more like it!! We have free camped for up to 9 days straight with this setup and no issues.

First thing is to look at what you want to run, the total AMPS all the items will draw and a day (Volts x Watts) and how long you will run things for.

Don't forget any portable electrical devices like cameras & phones. iPad and phone chargers typical draw 2.1Amp, and if left on once the device is charged, they still draw a small current.

The key thing from a battery sizing perspective is that for optimal battery life, do not draw the battery below 80% of the battery's AH rating. If you are using 100AH batteries, then you should as a guide, do not use more than 20AmpHours per day, per battery. If you have 2 x 100AH batteries, use 40AHrs per day. Some deep cycle batteries can be drawn down regularly to 60% of capacity with little impact to their life, but this is manufacturer and battery type dependant. Refer to the manufacturer's technical specifications.

At the end of the day, the critical part is also how much power you can put back into the batteries - this will also depend on where you are in Australia.

Assuming a "sunny day" and the 100W panel/s you are looking at with a 5.56 MAX wattage:

1 x 100W (5.56Amp) over 4 hours @ 80% efficiency = 17.8AH recharge per day
1 x 100W over 6 hours @ 80% efficiency = 26.7AH recharge per day

This is where it may be necessary to have 2 x 100W panels or a larger single panel to make sure you get a full battery recharge.

Looking at bigger panels:
1 x 250W (@13.8Amp) over 4 hours @ 80% efficiency = 44AH recharge per day
2 x 250W over 6 hours @ 80% efficiency = 66AH recharge per day

Put the Solar regulator as close to the batteries as possible. Run min 6mm wiring everywhere. We use portable solar panels because if van is in shade, we can move them anyway we want and keep them in the sun most of the day. They are tethered to the wan with a 6mm PVC costed stainless steel wire!

The guys I buy from are Vic based sellers:
Solar Panels - Low Energy Developments - http://stores.ebay.com.au/Low-Energy-Developments?_rdc=1
CTEK, Cable, Fuses, Anderson Plugs, etc - AutoelecAU - http://stores.ebay.com.au/autoelecau?_rdc=1
Batteries - hunt about, but I am still using the batteries I had put in the van by Jayco in 2012.

If you are going the newer Lithium battery, make sure you get the chargers that are designed specifically to charge at higher voltages than normal batteries.

ROnEM's Wiring Diagram v3.jpg

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Cheers,

Rohan

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Thanks for all the replies and valuable input and advice. I'm certainly better placed now to evaluate what I want / need / can afford / and perhaps most importantly what I may get approval from 'her indoors' to install.
Will post on here what I end up doing.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey @pauljygrant

I went to Supercheap today and discovered their 100w solar panels are only available online and the sale ends today...maybe tomorrow.

so can't help with the quality. Sorry.

We don't get their catalogue so I had no idea.

How are you going with your plans?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Here is the Supercheap solar panel and it is available until Friday but it does not have a regulator so that will bump the price up. None of my local stores have stock so I have lost interest. :p

Reactions: dagree

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Well despite Supercheap's website saying they were in stock, when you get to their checkout, it's then out of stock.
Guess even at the original price, it's still reasonable cost whenever they get stock back in - might monitor over the next few weeks.
Otherwise, Low Energy Developments as recommended by Rohan might be the go.....