Exterior Ball scale weights....

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I am looking at getting a set of ball weight scales so I can easily check my setup each time before I head off.

My issue is most are limited to 350Kg. I can understand how they come to this number (10% of the most common towing capacity (3,500Kg) is 350Kg, the limit of most common towballs is 350Kg, etc.

I also can fathom the *the should load to the absolute maximum" however I'd like to know if I ma at 350Kg's or over.

Does anyone know if there is a 400kg model available?

I am trying to avoid the expense of the scales made for individual wheels.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think if your scales are heading up and over the 300kg mark I would be looking at sorting out the load better, they aren't all that accurate I have found and can be 40kg out by just moving them slightly..........the scales will only tell you a rough ball weight, you can't really extrapolate that to a real overall weight of the van, there are too many variables to try and use the 10% myth, thats a mythical calculation similar to Tare weight on plate...................To get a reasonably accurate figure your van needs to be level in all directions with the scale vertical on a hard flat surface.

and I have not seen any showing over 350kg though you could possibly mod it to show what 400kg is just with a Nikko.

Reactions: JT76

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I think if your scales are heading up and over the 300kg mark I would be looking at sorting out the load better, they aren't all that accurate I have found and can be 40kg out by just moving them slightly..........the scales will only tell you a rough ball weight, you can't really extrapolate that to a real overall weight of the van, there are too many variables to try and use the 10% myth, thats a mythical calculation similar to Tare weight on plate...................To get a reasonably accurate figure your van needs to be level in all directions with the scale vertical on a hard flat surface.

and I have not seen any showing over 350kg though you could possibly mod it to show what 400kg is just with a Nikko.
I would actually expect the ball weight to be at or over 300Kg's when the van is fully loaded, if using the 10% guideline. But I guess 350Kg should be enough as my ATM is 3200Kg.

Might just stick with the system and get either the Hayman Reece or TowSafe ones - whatever is on special at the show in Feb I guess.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I would actually expect the ball weight to be at or over 300Kg's when the van is fully loaded, if using the 10% guideline. But I guess 350Kg should be enough as my ATM is 3200Kg.

Might just stick with the system and get either the Hayman Reece or TowSafe ones - whatever is on special at the show in Feb I guess.
Which van have you got @Macca_75 ?

I have a 21.64-1 which is loaded to the hilt, and it only has 240kg on the ball

Reactions: Drover

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Which van have you got @Macca_75 ?

I have a 21.64-1 which is loaded to the hilt, and it only has 240kg on the ball
2016 20.64.1 OB

I weighed it (3 x water tanks full) on the way home from the dealer.

It weighed 2,860Kg's. The ball weight alone was 320Kg (but it tows like a dream ;-) )

Since then I have added *stuff* (chairs, weber, privacy screens, blocks of wood for under the feet, Isi Bike rack (and bikes), etc so it would be over 3T total before we put food for 5 people. I am trying to keep weight over the axles or slightly behind, bit the bike rack and bikes sit right up the front.

Empting the water tanks (at least the front 2) as they are well forward of the axles will definitely help with ball weight.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Mine is basically the same van as yours.

What is the max ball loading shown on the compliance plate ?

Mine is 211kg and I have 240.

It’s an issue if you get checked to be that heavy on the ball.

Reactions: Bluey

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Mine is basically the same van as yours.

What is the max ball loading shown on the compliance plate ?

Mine is 211kg and I have 240.

It’s an issue if you get checked to be that heavy on the ball.
I don't have a max ball weight on the plate.

Empty ball mass is 264, TARE is 2610, ATM is 3210 and GTM is 2946 (so does that mean my max ball weight is 321 Kgs)?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's what I was going to say, most hitches are max at 350kg.....but then the actual GVM of the tug can lower that ....... Can of Worms Alert..........

Reactions: Bluey

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
GVM and towball on car are fine. GCM is a concern for me (and why I will never load to my payload allowance).

Ball weight adding to rear axle weight is also very tight.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
You pay for what you get get cheap one it will not tell the truth so only option is pay more for real truth in weight

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Second thoughts, I don't think the van would have a *legal* max, it would be more the car (which is 350 Kg). Would that be correct?
They do normally have a maximum ball weight, so interesting that yours isnt marked. So yes, the maximum would be 350kg, but even though the tow vehicle is rated for it, its the maximum, so you'd certainly want to come in under the max if possible.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
1............ I think the scales are all the same, just the labels are changed to increase the return.

2:..............As for weight , if it tows nicely I prefer not to look into it any further, I know "head in sand " but I may not want to know the answer........

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
I agree with Bellbirdweb and Drover, if the vehicle towbar limit is 350kgs you shouldn't exceed that. My experience with Hayman Reece and Towsafe scales is that they are usually fairly close to the mark. I operate a business in Brisbane called WEIGHTCHECK MOBILE CARAVAN WEIGHING, and i have had plenty of customers that have those type of scales, and they are always interested in what our scales read compared with theirs. The biggest difference i've recorded was about 30kgs more than the weight obtained on our scales, which are a digital load cell type with increments of 1/2 kg . Also, when weighing the TBM , we firstly measure the height of the tow hitch when attached to the car. Then we place the Towball Load Cell under the hitch as close as possible to that same height to measure the TBM. I have a heap of data on my own van that shows how the TBM varies with the height at which it is weighted. Just on the compliance plate, our 2015 16.49.1 has a maximum towball weight stamped on it , but i've noticed on 2016 models onwards, they have that weight stamped as N/A ( not applicable ) . I asked a guy I know at Jayco Bne and he said they don't put it on any longer as it caused to much confusion with their customers. Like Drover says, those type of scales are only a rough guide and you cannot use the towball mass to roughly calculate the ATM . Check out our website or give me a call if you need any more help, cheers Wally . www.mobilecaravanweighing.com.au
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1649.jpg

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
They do normally have a maximum ball weight, so interesting that yours isnt marked. So yes, the maximum would be 350kg, but even though the tow vehicle is rated for it, its the maximum, so you'd certainly want to come in under the max if possible.
Jayco hasn’t put maxuim ball weight for a number of years now only quote empty ball mass on their compliance plates.

Reactions: wally

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes ball weight now is Tare which confuses people more :) I looked at a 4 bunk Golden Eagle ATM 3500 it was around 120kg TBM.
I found my towscale to be close of our TBM when I did it at the truck weighbridge. Although they have a bit of tolerance as well.

Reactions: wally