17' Series Awning rolling up un-even

Still Workin

Dec 10, 2017
Little River
Hi guys
I'm having trouble with the awning not retracting properly on one side on our 17.56-2 outback.
I've measured the awning and the frame work on both sides folded out and retracted and everything measures the same on both ends, yet when rolled up the first one is loose and the rear is tight. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys

Still Workin

Dec 10, 2017
Little River
image.jpeg

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
I had the same problem. The service guys tightened the spring inside.

If you try to do it yourself be careful. Apparently there is enough tension to take a finger if your not careful.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Couple of things..............pull it open, tension and lock down the arms so the fabric is taught check that the section that fits to the roof is lined up square to the barrel, if it's not square it will roll up uneven, if so remove lock screw in sail track and realighn................

. If the fabric has a few loose spots but the edges are tight then it's possibly stretched, just leave it in the open position set up properly so the sun can cook it and it can reshape itself.........

The spring and bits inside the drum do get rusty and dry also the arms can cause one side to drag a bit, lube what you can get at on the arms but the barrel bits I would check the website for the Carefree awning I'm sure they have instructions on how to lube it, I know having fitted a couple there is some big time tension inside so it's not a open it and see job you have to know the steps.....it could end up like a toaster repair, pull apart and throw in the bin....lol.

As they get old I find I have to give a bit of a push in the middle of mine sometimes, it is 18ft and at times does go uneven as one side ends up rolling quicker than the other, I think I may be getting close to learning about the insides of a barrel, a place i don't really want to visit.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Do you have led lights on the awning roll?
I found that the side that has the connecting wires for the LEDs rolled up tighter and the other end was loose.
Worth checking.
Is this a recent problem or one that has always been an issue?

Reactions: Drover