18' Series Awning Problems (Carefree Brand)

White Elliephant

Mar 24, 2016
Hobart Tas.
image.jpg
. This weekend was the first free camping test for my recently purchased 2009 Expanda 18-57-7. Middle of the first night, bit of a breeze gets up, and the awning wants to head for the stars! Not a good look, and messy for someone who hasn't operated the awning before!
The problem is the locking off to length of the top arm. The arm locks to the chosen length with a triangular black knob. Mine rotate (very jerky), but don't stop the arm sliding. Inspection inside the arm with a torch, still doesn't let me see how the flat plate inside the arms channel and attached to the black knob is supposed to work.
My next plan is to have a good look, by taking the arm completely off when I get back home, however this seems a major task.
I've gone a long way back through the forums, but as yet can't find any similar posts.
Has anyone else had my problem? Any tips?
Cheers Ron

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I think you'll find the black plastic knob is spinning on the threaded bolt which screws into a small backing plate to tighten it all together.
This is a common problem (as is losing the backing plate altogether when travelling if the black knob is left loose).
A new one is the answer. They are available from your spares place.
Like this.

White Elliephant

Mar 24, 2016
Hobart Tas.
I think you'll find the black plastic knob is spinning on the threaded bolt which screws into a small backing plate to tighten it all together.
This is a common problem (as is losing the backing plate altogether when travelling if the black knob is left loose).
A new one is the answer. They are available from your spares place.
Like this.
Yep, that sounds logical. Will try my local jayco dealer to source the part, but if no joy will order from your link. Thanks for reply twscoot.
I find it very handy that like minded people out there share the pool of knowledge. A good example was when my central roof light wasn't working, I found on the forum ( nothing in the Jayco manuals) it was the slightly odd two way switching from near entry door, a simple thing, but saved me heaps in working out. Cheers

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
After many year something threw us out of our pack up routine and we lost 2 awning knobs. I just bought 2 sets of knobs and nuts on Ebay for $25.

Reactions: bigcol

White Elliephant

Mar 24, 2016
Hobart Tas.
Our local jayco dealer had the two genuine carefree awning knobs in stock,(at about $28) and armed with instructions that came with the knobs I have proceeded to fix the problem. It turned out not that the plastic knobs had stripped out of the bolts, but the squarish washer inside the awning arm had corroded solid onto the

White Elliephant

Mar 24, 2016
Hobart Tas.
Bolts, and despite liberal amounts of WD40 would not budge. Luckally when the top awning arms are separated there was just enough gap to get a hacksaw blade up inside to cut the old bolts off.
New bolts and washers installed, all working like a dream. A few hours muckin about, but reckon I've got it beat.
Overall problem caused I think buy many years of lack of lubrication and/or of use by previous owner.

Cruikey

Dec 9, 2016
Sydney
I have lost several of these black knobs because of forgetting to tighten them before travel. My method to fix this problem is to take the knob off the arm and turn it over and fill ONE of the segments with split shot or lead and glue the lead into its position using araldite or similar. Then if you forget to tighten the black knobs on you Carefree awning the knob can only spin half a turn before it settles with the heavy side of the knob at the bottom

Reactions: bigcol and kozza

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
glad to hear you got it sorted out @White Elliephant

I have lost the nut part, but not the knob itself......
quick fix was a piece of thick plastic I had (3mm) cut down with a small hole drilled it in

to this day I still cannot get the sod off to replace the nut

oh well..........

Reactions: dagree

Scrounger

Oct 7, 2016
Shoalhaven
I went the long way round as it Peed me off big time. ( your own mistakes are the worst)
Cut 3 new plates to fit internal arm, drill over size holes in each , tack weld nylock nuts, refit, all good
Lets see these little "suckers" come off.

Reactions: bigcol

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Is there a procedure to replace these awning knobs that anyone can share. The reason I ask is to have this available in case I lose a knob or two; I like to collect this type of info and put in my handybilly (Naval term for documents with good info which is readily available).

Reactions: dagree