Awning Arm Problem

Willy

Nov 5, 2012
Newcastle
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem before, but my awning arm stopper (the little threaded piece) which is inserted in the awning leg, to stop the awning arm falling out when folded up, has fallen out.

I was able to put it back in but it looks like that part of the leg has been stretched a little. Ive straightened it, but the stopper, when reinsterted, is now not as tight and falls out when the arm is slid onto it. I thought about a slightly bigger screw being inserted but wasn't sure if that would stuff it.

Any one else had this problem? Any ideas on a fix would be appreciated.

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
I will eventually put a pin across the end instead of that screw,some thing like a old style bonnet latch so it can be removed if needed

Willy

Nov 5, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Bushman, yes thats right, and whilst I have bent the ends a little to try and hold it in place, it has fallen out when the arm was folded away

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Bushman, yes thats right, and whilst I have bent the ends a little to try and hold it in place, it has fallen out when the arm was folded away

I didn't have mine come out, but actually had to remove it to put the awning slide arm back in after it jammed in the track and came out, more recently the hex head screws in each end of the roller drum had to be replaced with rivets as they kept comming out, as mentioned some Loctite might be the go

Basically the Carefree awnings that Jayco use are the biggest peice of crap going. should I ever need to replace mine it will be with a Dometic.

Willy

Nov 5, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks guys, Loctite it will be. I did squash the end in a bit before I re-inserted, and I was amaxed at how weak the arm was, it is definitely weakened. From my limited experience with the Carefree awning Bushman, I would agree with you.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
mine fell out on the last day over our christmas break. No idea where it is now, but fold the awning in the arm slides out of the runner. Need to get that fixed before easter thanks for reminding me...