Awning anchor kits

Xliney

Oct 28, 2020
Newport qld
We took our van out for our maiden voyage albeit with no water in the tanks Due to to weight issues ( in another thread) anyway we used these ground dogs awning anchor kit . We have used them before on vans we hired so to protect the awning ...and our excess...from sudden wind gusts. Found they work a treat, others were pulling their awnings in and ours stayed solidly anchored. Others commented that they seemed a good product.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Pics ???????

They work well from what Ive seen but they would want to for the price of the things, I use a tent rope with spring, spliced a large eye in end to loop around awning barrel and just whack a long peg in the ground at the appropriate angle with anti flappers on the awning, if camped for a long time and it gets windy I will use the big anti flap rails for the awning........now they are expensive suckers, van came with them and will stay with me when I sell the rig, if that ever happens.....

Wind and awnings is something that comes with experience as to when to pack away, leave it too late and better to throw some hold down ropes over than end up with it wrapped over the van, practice the best sequence to fold away so its instinctive, first thing I do is drop the legs down, then the top arms, hold the strap and hit the lever, that way the upper arms/awning has tension till the last minute, handy when it gets windy..... and always check the screw in before you drive away.....I fit a velcro strap around the upper part of the arms so if it does get loose for some reason they are held in and it doesn't become a wing. Has only happened once and they saved the day, I had a suspicion some funny bugga in a town loosened the hold downs as a joke of course...... the catches and lock screws forgotten to be done up by me, I think not.

Have seen folk using dinky little pegs which are more like a bit of bent fencing wire.............lol.......

Xliney

Oct 28, 2020
Newport qld
Thanks for the tips,
I think I had some of those bent fencing wire pegs when camping.
I like the Ground Dogs because they have the 19mm hex head which means I can use the same socket for the stabiliser legs.
We discovered people using them in the Flinders ranges and they were the only thing that would go into the ground out there !
Have changed my thinking from expensive to quality, how many tent pegs do people buy, then bend or lose or leave behind ? How many fingers do you have to hit with the hammer before you look for a better way. They were a great birthday present.
Took your suggestion and got 2 velcro straps for the awning arms.
Seems like a few stories of jokers doing "funny" things to vans, pinching the hitch pin, pinching the jockey wheel lock bar.
cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I actually saw some of those screw pegs in 4WD Superstore yesterday think they were $13 each....certainly look the goods, I doubt they would work at the Opal van park at Lightning Ridge, ground there is like 40mpa concrete.....I use a short handled 2lb block knockometer for pegs.

Reactions: Disco Duck

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I made my own, these can be hooked to the rope spring and the screw turned in to the ground without winding up the rope.

Attachments

• 6C56D801-50AA-4BC2-BBEE-F554F41B4C55.jpeg
    6C56D801-50AA-4BC2-BBEE-F554F41B4C55.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 177CF854-2CAE-46C6-B391-FFF16ED28E29.jpeg
    177CF854-2CAE-46C6-B391-FFF16ED28E29.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 311

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Key-head wire pegs .... I've had them for years and never managed to bend one. They can be belted through a chunk of 4in framing timber without bending and there only around $1ea

1605260118625.png

Reactions: Drover

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I actually saw some of those screw pegs in 4WD Superstore yesterday think they were $13 each....certainly look the goods, I doubt they would work at the Opal van park at Lightning Ridge, ground there is like 40mpa concrete.....I use a short handled 2lb block knockometer for pegs.
Opal CP use to lend you a big Makita hammer drill with a masonry bit in it about the size of pegs, drill hole slam peg the rest of the way, getting them out again, well that's another issue.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
I use the same pegs as Crusty and they are great; Youtube shows someone banging the peg through a timber block without the peg bending. I alos have a few 'pegs' with hex heads for driving into ground with drill - I carry both types to suit most hard ground areas.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I use the same pegs as Crusty and they are great; Youtube shows someone banging the peg through a timber block without the peg bending. I alos have a few 'pegs' with hex heads for driving into ground with drill - I carry both types to suit most hard ground areas.
Pretty impressive hey?? I bought screw-in's at same time, havent found a spot where the key heads were challenged, so i gave the screw-in's to my son still in the box

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Impressive alright. I am the same at the moment, I have not had to use the screw-in's although my elder father-in-law does all the time as it is easier for him to use the drill rather than an hammer.

Reactions: Crusty181