automatic brakes and 12 pin plug

kegs

Sep 23, 2011
hunter valley
:lock1: Hi,
I'm picking up the 17-56.1 o/b in december. I need to get the automatic brakes for the Pajero and a 12 pin plug, ( sales rep tells me I don't need the anderson plug as it is basically redundant)
The question I am asking, the sales man has quoted me $450 to supply and fit the automatic brakes and $140 to upgrade to a 12 pin plug. I have just rang a local auto dealer and he has quoted me $349 for the brakes and only an extra $40 for the plug. I am assuming that I am comparing apples to apples and that Jayco are not offering anything far and above what the local retailer is ????
Also is he correct that the anderson plug is becoming outdated and that the 12 pin plug is the way to go. I have upgraded to the 150 litre fridge.
Regards
Pete :thumb:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Pete,
you are pretty much comparing apples with apples, except for the type of brake controller that they are going to fit. If you can find out which one they will instal will give you more of an accurate indication as to whether you're being ripped off or not.
I would highly recommend looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy range of controllers, they are pretty much the duck nuts, either the P2 or P3. I just upgraded from the P2 to a P3.
I have my trusted auto elec do all this for me rather than the dealer.
The 12 pin will run your fridge and charge your battery, so yes, an anderson plug would be a redundant extra. Having said that, there would be nothing wrong with having the anderson plug wired to charge the battery and the hotwire in the 12 pin to run the fridge whilst travelling.

Reactions: kegs

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I agree with Matty.
However, with some brake controllers (Prodigies included) they need to be installed with the front to rear angle horizontal to a max 60-70 degrees from horizontal and horizontal only on the left to right angle. (to do with an added braking measure of using inertia to activate) With that in mind, I'd suggest choosing the location for it to be positioned with the installer. When mine was put it, they stuck it right where my knee went, which was far from comfortable. "Nah Mate, thats the only place it'd go. Can't put it no where else". (yes, I relocated it easily)
Some, like the HR models can be install vertically, so I've seen many installed on the centre console just forward of the drivers seat. (but don't have that extra inertia function to help)

I don't know if they ended up bring out the Prodigy RF, but they looked great - no wiring at all - all radio frequency instead (sender in the car and receiver on the drawbar) Meant the sender could go in different cars if others towing for whatever reason, or removed from the car completely when not in use. They were going to be a bit pricey though)

Matt:
Swapping from the P2 to P3, do they use the same plug or does the wiring get redone? (ie keep new wiring aside, and swap P2 back again when selling in a couple of years) Is it any better to adjust on the fly if needed than the wheel on P2 or not much difference?

cheers
Andrew

Reactions: kegs

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Another advantage of the anderson plug is you could connect solar panels (with a built in regulater) to the Anderson plug to charge the battery at a later date without a lot of mucking about

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Matt:
Swapping from the P2 to P3, do they use the same plug or does the wiring get redone? (ie keep new wiring aside, and swap P2 back again when selling in a couple of years) Is it any better to adjust on the fly if needed than the wheel on P2 or not much difference?

cheers
Andrew
Andrew,
wiring is all the same, so just plug and play. The only difference is the mounting cradles are different. I liked the slide-in pocket used in the P2 but the P3 doesn't fit in that, so I had to use the mount for the P3, which is a backwards step in design and ease of use IMO. I haven't actually used the new P3 yet, going away late this month so will set it up then.

Another advantage of the anderson plug is you could connect solar panels (with a built in regulater) to the Anderson plug to charge the battery at a later date without a lot of mucking about
This too....

Cheers,
Matty

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Have never used a Hyland hitch, so I can't comment, maybe others can.
I understand the reasoning behind having a fully articulated hitch, but from my personal experience I have never found the standard hitch to be problematic, even on some articulated roads I took ours on.

Cheers,
Matty

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I have the Prodigy P3 Controller my PJ great bit of gear, though it's location isn't brilliant (centre under steering column ) so can't see it on the move. but I don't wack it either getting in or out.
I ordered the Anderson on my 16-49-3 thinking it would run the fridge and charge the battery, didn't know my van came standard with the 12 pin plug as I have the 150 litre fridge.

So 12pin runs fridge, Anderson dedicated to Battery and have Solar, either way if your fridge is hotwire via Anderson or 12 pin to the vehicle, I suggest you have a isolater fitted to prevent the van fridge zapping the tugs battery when stopped ,lunch sight seeing etc
By chance both my van and tug have one fitted.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I have the Prodigy P3 Controller my PJ great bit of gear, though it's location isn't brilliant (centre under steering column ) so can't see it on the move. but I don't wack it either getting in or out.

Bushman, found this image on another forum, maybe a better place to fit your P3
P1040434.jpg
P1040433.jpg

Cheers,
Matty

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
They appear to be a good idea, but the issue you have is that it's permanently installed into the car. At least with a Prodigy (and others like it) is that you can simply unplug it from one car and plug it into another car.
I did this last year when I took my P2 out of my Territory and fitted it to a Pajero for our big trip. Sold the Pajero and removed it and put it back into the Terri. Cost was $24 for a second loom for it.