AussieNick's Expanda adventures

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
So I arrived into brissie last night.

The drive from Longreach to brissie was a nightmare, 1100km of constant rain, potholes, washouts, lane closures, people driving grey cars without headlights on, aquaplaning.... Was a mental drive down.

Picking up the van tomorrow morning. To say I'm excited is an understatement, then we hit the road a dumb o'clock Saturday morning to try and beat the potential road closes from flooding, once I hit Longreach I reckon I'll be right.

Final bits purchased for the van today. Just food, beers, beers and beers for the trip back to go.

PSX_20210318_141236.jpg

Just outside Augathella from memory. Looks like the water had receded a bit as there was heaps of mud over the crossing.

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
So the drive today was a bit longer than anticipated.

Hit the road at 6am and rolled into Tambo as the scheduled first stop at 4pm. So we decided to push through to Longreach, getting here at 7.30pm

Looks like we'll be in Darwin a day earlier than intended, which will be good.

I'll get some better pics tomorrow morning before we close up but the van towed like a dream, and aside from an empty gas bottle (I brought another for this reason BUT don't have a wrench large enough to get the gas line off the old bottle) we had to out the steaks away and use the old microwave for some frozen meals for dinner.

PSX_20210320_221932.jpg

Outside my mates place just before we left

PSX_20210320_221948.jpg

Pit stop at miles

PSX_20210320_221959.jpg

Just after setup at Longreach.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I’ve stayed in that very park with my old expands, I’m heading for Darwin in June but it’s going to take me a bit longer than you to get there, travel safe

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
So figured since i'm now home with the van i'd put up a bit of a write up of the trip. Chucked a couple of pics in for proof lol

Capture.PNG

Total Driving Distance was 6400km (rounded)
7 Days on the Road
Total Diesel costs $1400 (rounded up)

The Plan was Darwin - Barkly Homestead - Longreach - Ipswich (Van) - Tambo - Mt Isa - Tennant Creek - Darwin. This changed on the way back.

Day 1: Darwin to Barkly Homestead - 1100km
20210315_052250.jpg

Loaded and ready to go. Yes the paint is stuffed on the van

Not much to write home about. Left Darwin at 0530, Set the cruise control onto 130km/h and just burnt the km's away with podcasts and uni lectures playing on the stereo.
20210315_124835.jpg

Fuel stop at Elliot

Had never turned left at threeways, so it was nice to see a different stretch of highway for awhile. Rolled into Barkly homestead around 6pm. Dinner, beer, study and bed. Cried as I put fuel into the D40. Has been years since i've seen diesel above 180c/lt.

Day 2: Barkly Homestead to Longreach - 1100km

20210316_061631.jpg

Looking East down the Barkly Highway

Got up at the crack of dawn. Made a very, very large coffee and continued to cannonball run east.

Hit the NT/QLD border. It was like passing into the twilight zone....In the NT it's all Landcruisers and Hilux's. Past the border and it was all Patrols, Navaras (to my complete surprise) and Dmax's. Very odd.

PSX_20210316_203022.jpg

I apologise for any broken screens....

Also got to see the progression that is camping I believe. Between the Border and Camooweal I passed, In order.

- Ute full of camping gear
- Ute with Roof top tent
- Patrol pulling a Camp trailer
- Someone pulling an Expanda
- A full blown New Age full van
- And an RV...

The Road from MT Isa to Winton was destroyed and i was at times down at 100km dodging pot holes and wildlife. Got into Longreach about 8pm.

Day 3 - Longreach to Ipswich - 1150km

20210317_105620.jpg
20210317_105623.jpg

Bit of water just after Augathella

The end is in sight. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind long drives, but I was looking forward to not staring down the barrels of another 12 hour day on the road.

Also, the rain didn't stop. From Longreach to parking up for the night at some friends place in Ipswich, it was constant and never ending rain. Rain = Potholes. Outside Miles I spent a fair chunk of time on the wrong side of the road due to washouts. Also a fair few creek and river crossings were quite close to coming over the roads.

Days 4 and 5 I spent in Ipswich getting the last of the caravan stuff sorted, letting feeling return to my numb arse and getting ready for the return trip. At least this time I wouldn't be by myself and my mate offered to ride shotgun/co-drive the trip back.

I also discovered that the D40 doesn't like reversing with anything on the towbar up any slight incline. My clutch got particularly angry with me.....

The return trip I allowed 4 days and an average of about 750km a day to allow for slower drives, getting used to the caravan on the back of the D40 and any teething problems we may have had.

Turns out the Expanda loves sitting on 105km/h.

Day 6 - Ipswich to (Planned) Tambo but pushed through to Longreach - 1150km

PSX_20210320_221932.jpg

On the road again....

We hit the road early. The drive out of Ipswich we discovered quite quickly that, even loaded, the D40 was pulling the van without any issues and the km's just started to blow by. We stopped every 250ish km's to change drivers and refuel. Old habit of mine on the long drives is at half tank I start to look for a servo, this timed in well with the caravan, I worked out that I was losing about 100km a tank based on the refuel stops. Not too bad. 650km without the van, 500 - 550km with (to empty).

IMG_20210321_084910_877.jpg

Chilling just passed Miles

By about 3pm we hit tambo feel fresh and not like we had just driven for 9 hours. Made the call to push the drive into Longreach. Closer to home and we felt fine so off we shot. Called Longreach tourist park and they set us aside an ensuite site, $55 for the night, and gave us the site number as we'd be in and out before reception was open.

Not much to say about the park. It was dark when we got there and dark when we left. But the ensuite was clean, the facilites did the job.

IT was here we worked out we may have had an issue with the gas on the van. Couldn't get the Outside BBQ or inside burners to ignite. We couldn't hear or smell any gas in the lines, and I'd out a new, full, bottle on before we left... Oh well, frozen dinner in the microwave it was.

Day 7 - (Planned) Tambo to Mt Isa (achieved) Longreach to Barkly Homestead - 1100km

20210322_183344.jpg

...Yeah....Ummmm....Somewhere between Camooweal and Barkly Homestead....I Think....

So, we found ourselves 300 odd km further in the drive than we thought, so we figured we'd see how we felt at Camooweal and again, if we felt good, we'd push to Barkly Homestead. This would bring us some 700km closer to home and would eliminate an extra night on the road. Not going to be upset about getting home to the girls a night sooner.

Again, hit the road early and just drove. Heaps of places I would have like to explore a bit. The QANTAS museum, The RFDS exhibit in Winton...but we had a target to achieve. So we settled in for another 12 hours at the wheel.

20210321_135335.jpg

Cloncurry smoko break with photo bomb from the co-driver

Getting into Barkly Homestead around 8pm that night. The last 200km was in hellacious rain, trucks that struggled to stay on their sides of the road, big winds.....I was relieved to park up for the night without totaling Us, the D40 and/or the van....

20210322_065043.jpg

Parked up at Barkly Homestead (day of leaving)

It was here I caved after trying again to get the gas to work (I wanted my steak dammit) and called the old owner who politely reminded me that I need to PUSH the gas taps in when lighting the burners..............Yeah I felt like and idiot.......I blame 24 hours at the wheel for this oversight.

Day 8 - (Planned) Mt Isa to Tennant Creek (achieved) Barkly Homestead to Home! - 1100km

20210322_184136.jpg

Adelaide River, final driver change before home.

We played leap frog with a bunch of RAAF guys in convoy coming back from exercise in NSW. But it was nice to turn North on the Stuart highway and avoid a night in Tennant Creek (I lived there for 6 months when I was born, and that 6 months too long).

The drive home was nothing to really write about. Long, Hot (right into the sun), straight as an arrow roads and boring.... But we got back to Darwin around 8:30pm.

20210322_125456.jpg

Dunmarra. Nothing else to say.

I would like to do the drive again and we will over the coming years to go and see family and friends, but take our time and actually enjoy the stops, see the sights etc. But this trip was with 1 goal, get the van and get home ASAP.

The van is everything and more I could have asked for. The beds are super comfy, the A/C works incredibly well, the previous owners kept amazing care of it, it barely looks used. It towed well and had 0 issues. We have got (not shown) a full annex kit, 160w folding solar panel, 100AH battery, all the leads, hoses, chocks, ramps, adapters, fans, porta potti, ensuite tent and odds and ends that we would have brought, the last owners just tossed in for us.

Off to get NT rego sorted today, then next weekend we head off for 3 days with the family for Easter, our first official holiday with the caravan.

And some quick pics of the Van (I mean, you all know what a 16.49 looks like.)

20210323_085700.jpg

20210323_085710.jpg

20210323_085104.jpg

20210323_085116.jpg

The Wife, Kiddo and I cannot wait to start our adventures with this, now we finally have it home.

Attachments

• 20210322_184136.jpg
    20210322_184136.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 295

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
Sensational @AussieNick now I can't wait to head up the same path, we originally allowed 7 days this has now blown out to 10-11 days with so much to see.Glad you had a trouble free run!
Heads up the road between Katherine and Darwin is a minefield of potholes.

Otherwise, smooth sailing. Not going to lie that i'm jealous your doing the drive and actually going to get to see some sights.

Reactions: DRW

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
It was here I caved after trying again to get the gas to work (I wanted my steak dammit) and called the old owner who politely reminded me that I need to PUSH the gas taps in when lighting the burners..............Yeah I felt like and idiot.......I blame 24 hours at the wheel for this oversight.
To think, this could be the paramedic who comes to save your life ?? Frightening! :o:o :congratulatory:

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
So our first family trip away. 3 days down at a camp ground and hour out of town.

Got down to the ground on Friday morning, and only of the reasons we brought the van shone through, from parking to completely setup was about 30min.we didn't worry about annex for this trip, but with me setting up the outside the kiddo and missus got the inside feeling like home.

I helped our mates setup their camp trailer and tents, who'd been there for about an hour before us. Insert smug face here.

We spent the bulk of the weekend in the pool. It was humid as for the whole trip, threatening to rain but aside from a downpour Friday night, we got nothing.

So the weekend consisted of lots of swimming, chasing after my daughter on her bike, beers, food, pool, beer, BBQ and good times.

The camp ground was awesome, super green sites, pool was big and clean. My only gripe is the amenities blocks are right at the entrance to the park but the sites are a fair walk away. Thank God for the porta potti for those emergency 2am toilet stops for the girls.

I did spend Saturday doing the 2 hour round trip driving back to town to get spare parts, twice. My daughter with her ASD and OCD decided that the door handle needed to be flush when closed, so she snapped it trying to press it flush. The first trip was to get s replacement for thst, only to get back to camp to discover she'd also snapped the inside handle off, thus I drove back to get a new handle. But I'm glad I did as I wasn't keen on driving the van back to town without been able to secure the door.

We've worked out a few changes we want to make to the van, I need to convert the dining area to allow us to extend the front bed into the van to make it bigger, some changes to the wardrobe area to make it more functional for us.

A few photos.

PSX_20210405_192531.jpg

PSX_20210405_192622.jpg

PSX_20210405_192710.jpg

Gotta have the icicle lights.

PSX_20210405_192632.jpg

Setup

PSX_20210405_192716.jpg

The communal kitchen/hang out for the group

PSX_20210405_192743.jpg

PSX_20210405_192753.jpg

Temp door latch to keep the bugs out

PSX_20210405_192725.jpg

Quiet time break

PSX_20210405_192558.jpg

PSX_20210405_192613.jpg

Late night rave on Sunday

PSX_20210405_192642.jpg

And the wife doesn't have enough plants at home, so they are taking over the van, which has been christened by our mates as the #plantvan

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
Little bit of comfort mods done today.

The beds in the #plantvan are just a bit too small for myself and my wife to sleep on comfortably. I'm a tad under 2m tall and 130kg, so I take up a bit off room.

So, some 1800x350x20 plywood boards, 2 foam single mattresses and some foam to pad the board and I've turned the front bed into essentially a king.

20210622_092831.jpg

20210622_104448.jpg

20210622_105737.jpg

The single bed foam mattresses are 110mm and 120mm thick. Went with getting mattresses as it was about 25% the coat of getting Clark rubber to cut something to size.

With the thickness of the foam and slats underneath it ends up exactly the same height as the existing bed. It isn't as dense, but when your laying down, you hips and up are on the main mattress and it's just the legs down the bottom.

The boards and extra mattresses flip into the bed end for the day when we want the table and lounge. The table packs down under the slats easily.

Now, the new bed is slightly narrower but about 200mm longer than a king bed, so the missus is stitching up some custom sized fitted sheets for the new bed.

Happy with the outcome, not the cleanest, but looks good and packs down easily enough for transport or when needing the table

Get to test it out this weekend.

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
Picked up the new tow rig and daily driver today.

20210624_191812.jpg

2015 Ntec GU Patrol. 100,000km on the clock.

Previous owner has done a bit of work on it.

- dual battery setup
- oil catch can
- tig welded intercooler
- HID spotties
- led headlights
- boab rear drawers
- fuel prefilter kit (not installed but has given me all the parts)
- uniden CB
- awning and rod holders on the rack.
- 3in stainless steel exhaust system
- diesel tuned for towing their 2t caravan

From factory it's come with

- bullbar
- warn winch
- roof rack
- snorkel
- heavy duty tow package
- 2in lift

Only needing to change the head unit over to something a bit newer as its still got the stock head unit in there and get the child anchors installed. Also wanting to put clear view tow mirrors on.

More pics tomorrow. But happy as a pig in %@#&

AussieNick

Feb 9, 2021
Darwin, NT
So we're chilling out down at Banyan Farm tourist Park at Daly River.

We left town late. I had planned to pick the kiddo up from preschool and then burn rubber down here, but we didn't end up in the road till 4.30pm. That meant, after a pit stop at Adelaide River and dodging idiots on Dorset road we didn't get here till 7.30pm, setting up in the dark. But the sites are wide and easy to get into.

Nice park, really good amenities, for the fishermen around its right on the banks of the Daly River which has an abundance of barramundi. Only downsides are some of the sites only have a single water tap connection, and a few of the ones as tounfiest come in are just dirt. But the main sites towards the river are grassed and well maintained. Also (as our kid is terrified of dogs) people tended to let their animals roam, despite the park clearly stating not off lead, which was annoying. Pool area getting some TLC but was very nice, if a bit cold.

I didn't bring the rods this time, as we just wanting to chill after a crazy few weeks.

Plus it was a good chance to have a shake down with the new rig, and the first time just us have had a trip out.

Got one more night before we head back to Darwin.

20210626_110358.jpg

20210626_105423.jpg

20210626_105410.jpg

20210626_104946.jpg