20' Series ATM for 20.64-1 Expanda

Snowman

Oct 8, 2016
Perth
Hi All,

We are looking to buy a 20.64-1 Expanda and I cant seem to find the Aggregate Trailer Mass.

Can anybody kindly point me in the right direction?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
while they all have a plate mounted on them by manufacture - they are not always correct................

I'm not sure of the 20.64.1 weight - but I know mine was 75kgs out on the plate (said it was heavier than it is)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Jayco site? It's usually listed there.

If not, give a dealer a call.....I've got a handout from the last Brisbane show, somewhere, and I know it listed all the details for all the models.

Good luck...

Reactions: bigcol

Snowman

Oct 8, 2016
Perth
Thanks for your help. It is not specified on the website but it appears as though it might vary depending on the factory extras

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
hi @Snowman yes it really depends what you add to it Payload is 475kg although you can get this increased if your lucky.

Touring TARE 2425 + 475 payload = 2900
Outback TARE 2525 + 475 payload = 3000.
So @JaycoQ has over a 100kg of extras :)

If you look at the pdf
http://www.jayco.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/JAY644_Expanda_14pp_FA_180516_WEB.pdf
Jayco allow an amount of additional weight (Carrying Load) for each individual unit manufactured above the initial manufactured Tare Weight of the unit. This ‘Carrying Load’ is for the customers individual weight requirements and can be made up of ‘any’ additional weight they propose to load the unit up of. ie water, food, clothes etc. The standard unit carrying loads Jayco apply are; Single Axle, non internal shower units 300kg Single Axle, internal shower units 375kg Tandem Axle, non internal shower units 400kg Tandem Axle, internal shower units 475kg The tare and tow ball weight is only a guide and will change depending on accessories which are fitted to your van. It is advisable to discuss with your Jayco Representat

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Hi @Snowman.
Great choice of van! The family love this van, almost cabin like inside with the amount of living space. We have 3 kids, the 2 boys are in the bed at the back and the girl is in the bunk. We went for a single bunk with a bench and cabinets underneath. (pics in "My Jayco"). Apart from the extra cabinets the other stuff we added was pretty standard through this site. Extended drawbar (i reckon this is the most important extra), 185l fridge/freezer, shelves in wardrobe, extra external access hatch, internal access doors to front and rear boot. Pigeon hole for the top bunk. You'll have to figure out how you want to transport bikes, I hate carrying them inside because something always gets scratched (see my Jayco for my solution). Full annex and storage room for longer stays, this lives in the front toolbox. Wind up antenna and TV mount, we bought a tv/DVD combo from dicksmith smith before they closed. This was much cheaper than jayco option.
Where are you based?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Snowman

Oct 8, 2016
Perth
JQ,
Thanks for the tips, especially the ideas about the xtra hatches and TV. We have 3 kids as well and this will be our first van. The boss didnt want a pop top so the 20.64 seemed to be the only option. Trouble is, we live in Perth and the options over here are limited. There is one available at the end of the month but it has fixed bunks. Otherwise I will have to place an order and wont see it until next March. I might have to explore other options

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Snowman I have (and still do occasionally) deal with Ken at CaravanLand
I think @dagree has dealings with someone (I forget.,,,,,,,,,, sorry) at CaravanLand - usually camps behind each other in Busso

either of these guys seem to be the most helpful with questions

you are right though, we do have a limited array of options for most Vans
although Gumtree seems to have a few nice ones come up every now and again

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Up until a year ago heading east to pick up a van was worthwhile... @Smirke can confirm this for you.
Now us "Wait Awhile" people do not get charged transport and base prices are supposedly the same as over east but worth your while making a few calls to a couple of Eastern States suppliers to confirm this @Snowman

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, the good points are, you may get a great deal
the bad points are you may have to travel very far to get it

once you work out exactly what you want - give or take a few items, then you can start searching both dealers & Gumtree
whatever you pick, dont forget to add in the cost of travel there and back towing

but it can be a heck of an adventure to go east to pickup your Van - again, @Smirke has done that trip

Reactions: Drover and dagree

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
We r from Gladstone qld..central Queensland.... we sold our 2014 expanda and upgraded to the 20.64.1... i thought i would go back to jayco in Brisbane which is 600ks away and see the old salesman who we dealt with with the first van.. got a good price which he told me with all my extras that i wanted .. then i thought i would try jayco in bundy 250ks away.. they beat Brisbane... then a mate from work said you should try mackay 450ks away.. they or i should say mick the salesman has been honest from the start and easy to deal beat both the other guys buy a mile and the deal has been done all ova the ph...

Reactions: bigcol and G Daddy

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Saves time and energy.....and it just shows the leeway the salesmen have so its well worth the effort.

Also, it's closer for warranty stuff to be fixed and services....not that you'll need warranty items dealt with.

It'll be perfect!

8-)

(We're trying to deal with another manufacturer and dealership at the moment and I really have to say that Jayco are certainly miles ahead with details provided, questions actually answered ...even if it's a no....and the real biggie....actually communicating with the client about manufacturing schedule and a possible delivery date. I didn't appreciate Jayco till we decided to change! It's so frustrating. :apologetic:)

Best wishes for the upgrade.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
If you have the time and someone has the van you are looking for.....just go get it. We got ours from the factory direct, but still would have gone to any dealer if we found something. Yes we saved money on the van itself, which was good, but wasn't the reason for driving to get it. It was the trip. We hadn't done the nullabour, etc as a family, driving so off we went.