Starcraft Anyone have the 16.67-5 Starcraft?

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
Hubby and I headed off to the Rosehill caravan and camping show in Sydney on Saturday and after going through as many caravans as we could decided we both like the 16.67-5 Starcraft model. The van looks great and is hard to go past for the $ value. It suits our budget and we simply could not buy a new van for what this is going to cost us and the idea of having a full ensuite in a van this size is amazing and for us will be luxury. We sat down with one of the salesmen and worked out what we wanted but will go back this Saturday and fill out the paperwork, order the Starcraft and pay the deposit. DH had left his glasses at home and was frustrated at not being able to read so felt he needed the week to work out what suits us best.

Anyone have one of these and can you please tell me the pro's or cons of this van?

We are looking at an outside table. Drop down jacks, some measuring thingamy for dear hubby to see how the battery and water levels are I think? A bed converter for the table, tv, air con, reversing camera and he's thinking of independent suspension. There might be a few other things but my memory is failing me atm.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neville Drews

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
How did you go? Have you made a purchase? You sound like you pretty much had your options sorted.

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
Dear twscoot, my apologies for my late reply, yes we made the purchase and these are the extras.

tv & radio
bed converter on the dining table
drifter control panel
esc
oven
12v power point under the bed
air con
external picnic table
reversing camera
drop down jacks
a starter pack.

Dear hubby is tossing up adding leaf sping but was holding back because it's $1500 and will make a decision today. There could be a few other things but he's taken the build sheet with him. To be honest we'd both rather not have the tv, DVD and radio package and take the leaf spring system in it's place.

Can't wait to get it :)

Last edited:

lee

Dec 5, 2013
Victoria
Hey sweet pea have you picked up ur van yet as my parents are looking at purchasing one , if what extras did you put on it and what did the weight come in at on the van?

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
Hi lee, no we don't pick it up till mid September, maybe around the 17th or 18th I think which still seems so far away ;) at this stage we don't know the weight so can only give you the weights from the brochure.

tare weight (kg) 1476/1669
tow ball (kg) 156/174

Dear husbands hoping we'll be closer to the 1476 end although we will tow with a Nissan Pathfinder so we will well and truly meet the weight requirements.

Show Special Touring Model $36000:

Came with Aventa on roof air con, didn't really want ac but it came with
Tv, radio pack, again didn't want this but it came with

Extras we added:

Outside picnic table, had one of these on another van and it was one of our most used extras so worth the $
Drifter control panel, a toy for dear husband ;)
Bed converter on the lounge, yes a small lounge but we have 2 grand baby's who will sleep there as our son and daughter in law will use the van
Smeg oven for me ;) I love to cook first thing I do when we stop us to do a roast so we have a few meals and sandwich meats
Esc not sure what that is but something dear husband said we had to have
Reversing camera
Auxil'ry battery again not sure why but something hubby wanted and I'm just there for the food ;)
12 volt socket near hubby's side of the bed for his cpap machine, marriage saver right there
Drop down jacks, corner steadies we've had these before and found them better than the wind down versions
Under slung axle as we're not getting the off road model but hubby thought that better than not under slinging (hope I'm using the correct terminology)

I don't think I've missed anything but if I have will let you know. This all comes to $39490 which is great for our budget and we never dreamed we'd get such a nice van for our price tag which happened to be $40000.

I'm not sure where your parents are lee but Jayco will be at the Penrith show in September so maybe they'll have some show specials.

Hope this helps Karen.

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
We've just arrived home with our new Starcraft almost two months later than first promised and we couldn't be happier. It's been a long and at times nervous wait (l had to stop reading negative product review complaints) but the day finally arrived. The team at Jayco Sydney were fantastic and while someone went through the van set up and pack up with us the electric brakes and rear camera unit was fitted to our pathfinder. It was absolutely pouring with rain which oddly enough we were quite pleased with and we could not detect any leaks. We turned everything on, looked into every space both inside and out and the only thing we could find was the tiniest smear of silicon on the front panel which dear husband has already cleaned up. The quality inside is just fantastic and it was so clean apart from our wet shoes tracking in some water and dirt.

This is our first caravan with Jayco although 20 years ago we bought a Jayco Swan Camper Trailer and it was so slapped together, leaked like a sieve, rough inside and out and held together with so much silicon that we used to joke there wasn't much camper in there. This van is so improved on our first camper and we couldn't be happier. Think I already said how happy we are ;)

There's not a single thing we can fault yet and although it's early days we hope to remain positive. Now all that's left to do is pack the van and get away :) Pity we both have to work and don't have any holidays coming up for awhile :(

Last edited:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We've just arrived home with our new Starcraft almost two months later than first promised and we couldn't be happier. It's been a long and at times nervous wait (l had to stop reading negative product review complaints) but the day finally arrived. The team at Jayco Sydney were fantastic and while someone went through the van set up and pack up with us the electric brakes and rear camera unit was fitted to our pathfinder. It was absolutely pouring with rain which oddly enough we were quite pleased with and we could not detect any leaks. We turned everything on, looked into every space both inside and out and the only thing we could find was the tiniest smear of silicon on the front panel which dear husband has already cleaned up. The quality inside is just fantastic and it was so clean apart from our wet shoes tracking in some water and dirt.

This is our first caravan with Jayco although 20 years ago we bought a Jayco Swan Camper Trailer and it was so slapped together, leaked like a sieve, rough inside and out and held together with so much silicon that we used to joke there wasn't much camper in there. This van is so improved on our first camper and we couldn't be happier. Think I already said how happy we are ;)

There's not a single thing we can fault yet and although it's early days we hope to remain positive. Now all that's left to do is pack the van and get away :) Pity we both have to work and don't have any holidays coming up for awhile :(
Sounds like your really happy ! ;) Good to hear any pics ?

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
Thanks I'm sure we will be very happy. We saw a Silverliner ready to go, a nice looking unit. It's still raining so as soon as we can get outside I'll post some pics.

Reactions: mfexpanda