Electrical Anti Theft Idea ~ Movement sensor switch ~ Brakes

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Thinking out loud, I had the idea of using one of the Fridge movement sensor switches between the onboard battery & the electric brakes with a disarm switch via a fuse.

I like the idea, because while sitting there motionless it's not drawing any power from the battery & as soon as the van starts to move the sensor operates & sends 12V to the brakes locking them on slowing the thieves down by skull dragging the van across the lawn & down the road or onto the flatbed as a mates new van did.

The brake wire won't be cut & simply tapped onto & I don't see it upsetting the Alko ESC as it wouldn't be any different to switching the ESC off on rough roads & applying the brakes.

How sensitive are the switches will it operate if the van is simply blown around by the wind on a windy night or simply walking in the van while at home.

Is there any problems with this idea I haven't thought of.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi CJ,
Personally I wouldn't muck around with the Brakes. one other option, We have a GPS Tracker in the van that whilst doesn't stop the van from getting pinched I will know exactly where it is. If it moves 100m from where I park it, i get a message on my phone, and can then track it. Then leave it to the boys in blue.
I will find the thread where I show putting it in. It was pretty cheap, around $100 if I recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanda

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
next door neighbours mate has a kill switch that locks the brakes. Someone tried to take it and he said they found the van down the street still attached by chains to bumper with hitch lock in place.
I might look at GPS myself.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Can't see why it wouldn't work @CJ1177. Top idea for an off the shelf product.

Personally I wouldn't add more connections to the brake circuit unless really necessary (chain through the wheels works for me as a theft deterrent).

FWIW - I've skulled dragged plenty of things onto flatbed trucks with and without wheels... brakes locked on ain't going to slow down old mate with the winch controls.

Devils advocate - what size van you protecting? If a smart / not so smart thief really wants your van, having brakes may not worry them... Why not just cut the brake cables at the wheel and their free to roll. Yes, very dangerous for a light vehicle but easier to handle in a heavy vehicle (and being a mongrel thief - I'm sure safety of other road users is not a priority to them whilst their running hot).

GPS + boys in blue sound like the go to catch them unawares.

If they steal mine they can have it - that's what I pay the insurance premium for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Hi CJ,
Personally I wouldn't muck around with the Brakes. one other option, We have a GPS Tracker in the van that whilst doesn't stop the van from getting pinched I will know exactly where it is. If it moves 100m from where I park it, i get a message on my phone, and can then track it. Then leave it to the boys in blue.
I will find the thread where I show putting it in. It was pretty cheap, around $100 if I recall.
Hey holden man what sim card are you using?

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I just bought one of these from eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33116090...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3822wt_1001
And put in an Aldi SIM card.
It is a TK102B, widely available on eBay from $30 - $60, depending on whether you want to buy local or from overseas.

I think the one that Holden man has, has a few more features in that it has external antennas, and outputs that you can send SMS commands to it, for example to active the electric brakes,

I had an issue with mine in that I didn't realise I had to turn off the GPRS (internet) on the Tracker, so it used up all of my initial $5 credit in a few hours.

Also, I read somewhere that Telstra is planning to turn off it 2G / GSM network next year, so will either have to upgrade to a tracker with 3G capability, or change to provider that uses Optus 2G (until Optus turns it off).

Jason

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi guys,
We had a prepaid Telstra sim that we used for awhile in one of our phones and with the reloads we had done, the time for expiry of the credit had gone out to about 2018. Like Jason says ours has external antennas, the unit is set to txt me if it moves, but I can txt the tracker a command and it will send me coordinates that when you click on the link google maps Fires up and you can see where it is. If the crook tows the van out of mobile range the moment the tracker picks up a tower it will send me a message. But I would be onto it well before they get out of range.

I found the thread where I installed the unit.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/expanda-security.1018/page-4

Didn't know about Telstra talking about turning of the GSM network, that would throw a spanner in the works.