Anti-flap

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hi guys,

After last nights storm I am a little worried about going away now for Easter as they are predicting more storms. I was wondering what everyone else uses to secure their awning, or do u put it back in?

Thanks
Tracy

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Tracy,

We just use either one or two anti-flap units. Picked them up at BCF. Just clamp them onto the awning and then Velcro then to the horizontal bar.

Deflapper Installed.JPG

If you are worried about the wind, it is best to wind in the awning if you are away or overnight.

Also, it also pays to make sure you have tied down the end of the awning.

IMG_1284.JPG

Cheers,

Rohan

Our awning arms have anti flappers already attached and have others like ROnEM.
If at all concerned though, roll the awning away.
If our annex is up we do not have to worry.
When we were in WA a storm hit while we were out and about for the day and returned to a 30 cm tear along the front edge of the awning. Another van had its awning pulled out and up over the van.
Luckily ours was replaced on Insurance.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
We purchased our van on the 22nd December 2010, and took it to a local beach about 40k down the road and set it up on the 24th Dec. We then drove home for xmas day with a plan to return to the van on boxing day. It p!ssed rain all christmas day and night, we were woken early boxing day by friends telling us that the awning had collapsed. $3000 and luckily an insurance claim later and we were sorted.

I have 2 recommendations, if you expect a bad storm roll the awning away - however if this is not practical (ie you have a full annex set up etc) then make sure you have plenty of roof rafters installed as well as a good antiflap kit. We use the Aussie Traveller flapkit and rafters and have found them easy to use and well made. I also ensure that the outside of the awning is as low as possible to ensure good water run off. I also put the awning legs just off the slab and secure them into the ground with a tent peg through the hole in the foot. I have an 18 57 6, which doesn't have the world's biggest awning, so I use 2 rafters - Anything longer and I would have 3 or more. I asked the dealer when we originally picked up the van if we needed the rafters and was told that it was not big enough to warrant them. After it collapsed, this was the first thing we had installed along with the new awning and have weathered some big downpours since with no dramas at all.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
As above we have 2 roof rafters on the 18 and wouldn't have any less, legs always pegged down as well as ropes on awning arms.....no matter what! We also have anti flappers if not attaching walls, the more sides you have on your awning the better as far as wind resistance goes as each wall is pegged down. Another precaution to take is park your car close and parallel with awning to act as a wind break but of course if a gail force wind is predicted and its practical then roll it up.....sometimes it's a gamble!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Tracy,

We just use either one or two anti-flap units. Picked them up at BCF. Just clamp them onto the awning and then Velcro then to the horizontal bar.

If you are worried about the wind, it is best to wind in the awning if you are away or overnight.

Also, it also pays to make sure you have tied down the end of the awning.

same for us.
The anti-flaps are good for light winds, but anything too strong will bend the horizontal arms, so we still play it same and roll it up if the wind picks up.