Another bent dualcab ute.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Noticed a near new Ranger dualcab Ute in the park towing a huge off road Retreat van.Had a few experts!, standing round it yesterday discussing the gap between the cab and Ute tray, gap about an inch wider at the top than the bottom.sure sign that the chassis was bending.Only travelled from Tassy,! the amount of gear in the Ute and van was mindboggling.Well overweight.

Reactions: Bluey

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Noticed a near new Ranger dualcab Ute in the park towing a huge off road Retreat van.Had a few experts!, standing round it yesterday discussing the gap between the cab and Ute tray, gap about an inch wider at the top than the bottom.sure sign that the chassis was bending.Only travelled from Tassy,! the amount of gear in the Ute and van was mindboggling.Well overweight.

All vehicles, regardless of size or make, can only take so much before something gives or starts to bend. Unfortunately it is then too late and very, very expensive to fix! Stay within the limits always!

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Near new, original suspension, big ball load and tub full, axle meets bump stop, then chassis cops the hit, things will bend...original springs really aren't up to anything than an empty tub...

Reactions: Brente1982 and BJM

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
The thing I have noticed talking to a lot of these guys is they really have not got any idea re ball weights , weight distribution etc.one of the guys giving so called advice to the Ranger owner asked me what I drove.Scoffed when I told him a 2010 GC said they were ongoing trouble.Mine is eight years old has towed 100.000ks no chassis problems ,and all the door gaps as per new.Still performs like new.I blame a lot of caravan mags re overweightvans.Heaps of info about fitting extra tanks,batteries large tool boxes,van movers ,this ,that etc.all equates to more weight .

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most folk don't have a full idea about weights and even those that read all the magazine blurb don't know the full story .....easy test is to ask the question, " If your GCM is under the plated amount when you are weighed, can you still be over weight ? " .................. If they answer NO, then they haven't got the full story, you can be under GCM but be over on an axle, many only think of axle weight being on the van, the tug has axle weights also and the rear can be overloaded easily......lots need a bull bar, winch and stuff which load up the front axle then throw on a set of WDH to transfer a 80 odd kgs to the front to bring the tow ball load down, the KGs don't disappear they just relocate....................... Its not an easy thing to get your head around, Truckies have been getting headaches for decades trying to keep things level, weigh bridge ticket is current for about 5 mins from weigh bridge, many a Truckie have been done as loaded up weighed then driven off, refuelled down the road and been scaled 5 mins later, 1.5t over, $1500 thank you very much..............added 600lts and filled up the belly tank ...........

When the Gronks start telling me about the Jeep problems, I usually shut them up by asking have they owned one, usually NO, Do you work on your vehicle, again NO, always seems to be a mates mates, friend story or they saw it on Faceache, they get upset when I point out I have had 3 Grands, 280,000km on 2, never a drama copped the same thing with my Landrover, funny thing is rarely from anyone who has owned one and when they have told me problem stories it seems to be more a servicing fault.... or just stupidity by the owner which would happen what ever vehicle they had as they are stupid............. Did have tow bar problems on the WG but that was from idiots not fitting the tow bar properly and torqueing the bolts up, not a Jeep thing just the usual overworked mechanic.

I know I'm starting to waffle ............................... been to Dentist then went and sat on beach and watched the Blingers driving to Double island Point, some really nicely set up vehicles, totally functional, you know they have a clue then a couple straight out of the ARB Catalogue go by and you wonder if you should hang around to tow them back........lol,lol,lol.

PS: Just reminded myself of one of the great joys of Jeeping, seeing the look of horror when I pull up in the Toorak Tractor and offer to pull them out after I have driven thru the yucky stuff and turned around to help....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The thing I have noticed talking to a lot of these guys is they really have not got any idea re ball weights , weight distribution etc.one of the guys giving so called advice to the Ranger owner asked me what I drove.Scoffed when I told him a 2010 GC said they were ongoing trouble.Mine is eight years old has towed 100.000ks no chassis problems ,and all the door gaps as per new.Still performs like new.I blame a lot of caravan mags re overweightvans.Heaps of info about fitting extra tanks,batteries large tool boxes,van movers ,this ,that etc.all equates to more weight .

Spot on @BJM and @Drover !!! Usually "operator fault" and no real appreciation of what happens to weights/levels as you add extras. Best question on extras is "Is it want I want?" or "Is it what I need"? What about "What can I do without"?? If in doubt, I still think the chart on Tow Vehicle Comparisons by ARB is the basis to work on to start with, or do without and save money, and perhaps your life or someone else's. Refer chart posted on 31 August, 2019.

Reactions: BJM

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's really education and would be easier if all states sang the same song, with vans and tugs clearly labelled as to weights .............. once youve added all the extras and bums on seats your dual cab cannot tow 3.5t or the boat on roof....... Have no idea how you could educate other than a towing course which would end up being a monumental Rort like the Cert II and III certificates.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hey @Drover you know where I live with two caravan parks within a stones throw, 22 foot van, boat on the roof, fold up trailer on the rear tool box on the van on a Prado or Pajero VIC or SA plates I just laugh now
In saying that hes drove all that way and not one copper or anyone has stoped him and said WTF are you doing hows your weights lets work it all out

Reactions: BJM

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I heard a rumour when I was in Hervey Bay that the Qld Gov didn’t want to be too tough on the Grey Nomads as the money they bring in each year is huge.The downside is highest number of caravan accident/write offs ever in Q this last year.Just about every caravan park I went into this trip wanted to know if I needed help in reversing ,one Cpk owner said it was astounding how many rig owners could not reverse the van.I agree that the weights these guys are towing these days is beyond absurd .I think it’s past the education stage,a crackdown will be the only way it would get through.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The secret reason that the coppers don't pull you over is that they have no way of doing weight checks, they will do licence, rego, lick the stick stuff and if you have dodgy lights or tyres they will have you, of course if your rig looks like an Pakastani tour bus then you will also attract but otherwise.Cops don't have scales thats the realm of the boys with the Magenta roof lights....... I think that rumour is just that, if Anna could see a few $$$ in it she would go for it but it would cost her big time in $$$$ as she would have to increase the manpower and equipment of the Transport Inspectors, the have it fully personed by equal numbers of the various genders with appropriate access so some could work from home.....

Interesting to see where the plates are from for these QLD van accidents.

I did a fantastic job of reversing into a site once, was really pee'd off at the small sites and with all the Goofers watching I was determined not to get cranky or stuff it up, did it in 4 moves, sweat pouring off me, then I was told everyone gets pushed in by tractor, I just said I don't need one but whispered to myself, bustards, why didn't they mention it earlier........though I do like drive thru's but as I off grid mostly no need.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Saw this on Facebook at a wreckers, prices start at $20 for parts, wonder how much change they would give if you offered to buy the whole thing for $20 .............

triton $20.jpg

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
i know Renault own both Nissan and Mitsubishi but i pretty sure the Triton hasnt aquired a Nissan badge just yet
Sorry about that my mistake just used to nissan being crap i should have realizes it was a heaps of shittty
I stand corected