14' Series Another 14.44 member

TraceynGrant

Oct 3, 2012
SW Victoria
Hello all,

We have taken delivery of our new 14.44-4HL (bunks at the back) Expanda and just returned from a trip to Merimbula, back to the SW of Vic (near Hamilton).

Now it's time to book the van in for it's first service to get all of the things that went wrong looked at:

- missing cupboard latches
- all hinge pins dropped out (stupid split pin design with the bottom pin dropping out of every hinge)
- broken pop top stiffeners
- brakes staying on LHS wheel when travelling
- hand brake cable rubbing against water tank stone guard - badly
- 2" hole in floor, where something was supposed to go(?)
- fridge element does not work on 240volt (thankfully worked on gas)

We are pleased with the design, the van was exactly what we wanted in terms of inclusions and layout, it's just a pity the quality and QA is so poor. There is silastic everywhere and no attention to detail when putting it together.

We are looking forward to having all the problems resolved and getting down to really enjoying the new van.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome TraceynGrant,

Sorry to hear of your issues, there are some things Jayco have no excuses for and I can't imagine there would be too many long term employees on the production line with the experience and a bit of finesse but rest assured they will be fixed and you'll have a great van. Before we bought our first van 3 years ago I heard that if you buy 2 years old all these issues have been sorted, nothing like a new van I know but I can see why that was said! Anyway enjoy guys as I'm sure you will.

Cheers,
Burnsy.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Welcome TraceynGrant

It is a pitty that we go through these issues, but in the end it will be a great van.

We love our expanda and I'm sure yours will be sorted in no time.

Enjoy the great outdoors.

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
That really is appalling in a $35,000 van (after all you can buy 2 new cars for the same coin), and sorry to hear about your problems. At least all the dealers seem very reasonable and seem to accept that the factory leaves them to do the QA and fixes. Surely this is less efficient than getting it right in the first place?

I have the O/B version of the same model on order and am feeling nervous. On the other hand JDove says he has no warranty issues after a week out in his new 14.44 OB - it seems so random. Just remember it's a short term hick up and that there's lots of trouble free years ahead once these initial problems are fixed.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Welcome TracyeynGrant to the forum :welcome:

This is a great forum and a real family feel to it. Sorry to hear about your warranty issues I'm sure Jayco will have you all sorted in no time.
Re the first service, Jayco seem to be a bit pricey for what is actually involved. Check your Jayco book and you. Will see what I mean.
Enjoy your new home away from home. :biggrin1:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome TraceynGrant. Someone said to me once if you want a perfect Jayco, then buy a second hand one from someone who bought brand new. Because by then the first owner has ironed out all the issues.
Still great vans though...enjoy the forum.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Agree with Brad, ( I'd add...If buying s/h, also try and buy from someone who is upgrading or downsizing to another Jayco).
Anyway they are certainly pretty good for the $'s and with a little bit of patience, perseverance and TLC they do become the perfect van. I'm sure you'll soon be sorted and enjoying your investment and sharing the adventures with us.