Exterior Annexe Solutions

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK Gang,

Well, we're faced with a bit of a problem. Like a lot out there, some "genius" decided that we can't have an annexe due to the fridge being on the door side of the van and some hideously dangerous gases are getting may getvented into the quite obviously air tight airspace of the aforementioned annexe...

Sooo... where does that leave those of us wanting the extra "outside" room? Or, probably more importantly, how can I keep Mrs Smerg's happy as she quite clearly wanted the annexe on the van?

We'd ideally like an annexe to keep the bikes, tables, and other stuff, whilst also perhaps creating the extra room for the little man to sleep in when the inlaws take over his bed at the other end of the van.

I managed to stall her buying a gazebo at Anazonda today, but I'm not sure how long I can hold her back.

So I'm calling on the experts of ED to put forward different ideas and solutions for our awning that I can propose... All kinds, $$, styles are welcome.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
One option (probably most expensive) is to change fridge over to a Waeco/Engel 12v/240v compressor fridge.
Very efficient on 12v but means if free camping need more solar and battery to run it for extended periods.
Also leaves you with what do you do with the fridge you have.

BJ

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sorry mate, I've had a few beers tonight, so I might need a bit more of an explanation than that.
Id had a few jars when i wrote it. The press stud attached plastic skirt that covers the void between the van and the ground inside the annex. Im not sure how much ventilation is required (ie sq/mtr area) but you have more than 2 sq/mtrs that would count as a vent if you replaced all or some of that skirt with a mesh of some kind. It would be cold and breezy in crappy weather ( still water proof) .... but at least you might be able to have an annex. You could later get a usual plastic skirt for when the fridge is on main elec anyway, because the venting is only for the fridge on gas .... and what you add later shouldnt bother the supplier of the skirt

I managed to stall her buying a gazebo at Anazonda today, but I'm not sure how long I can hold her back.
PS Thats a bit extreme of Mrs @Smergen to move the Midget Smerglings out to an Anaconda gazebo ..... with no walls. Surely you could save the bucks and just throw'em out on the ground under the awning !!!!!

images.jpeg

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Could you find a second hand annex? We got a second hand one for our 17.58 fits just a little to long height wise which is weird as we have the outback? Will get it trimmed or something soon..
There was a annex on here made of shadecloth? I know Aussie Traveler do there sidewalls with zips of sunblaster stuff.

Reactions: Marv_mart

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Some people get "add a room " instead which is a room that goes on either end of the annex or I've seen people use a "minute tent" that they slide it's awning into the slot that runs along the awning tube so it's facing the van

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Id had a few jars when i wrote it. The press stud attached plastic skirt that covers the void between the van and the ground inside the annex. Im not sure how much ventilation is required (ie sq/mtr area) but you have more than 2 sq/mtrs that would count as a vent if you replaced all or some of that skirt with a mesh of some kind. It would be cold and breezy in crappy weather ( still water proof) .... but at least you might be able to have an annex. You could later get a usual plastic skirt for when the fridge is on main elec anyway, because the venting is only for the fridge on gas .... and what you add later shouldnt bother the supplier of the skirt

PS Thats a bit extreme of Mrs @Smergen to move the Midget Smerglings out to an Anaconda gazebo ..... with no walls. Surely you could save the bucks and just throw'em out on the ground under the awning !!!!!

Thanks mate, so what you propose is that instead of using a skirt around the bottom we just use a mesh (or actually without it?) We've never actually used the fridge on gas, and when we do, I doubt it'd be for that long that we'd put up the annexe anyhow!

As for the gazebo, she was going to buy the walls as well...

Really appreciate the help though mate and really appreciate the input.

Reactions: Delano

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
One option (probably most expensive) is to change fridge over to a Waeco/Engel 12v/240v compressor fridge.
Very efficient on 12v but means if free camping need more solar and battery to run it for extended periods.
Also leaves you with what do you do with the fridge you have.

BJ

Yeah, that'd be a very nice solution. But to be honest I like the idea of being able to run it on gas if we free camp for a while. And yep.. I imagine it's pretty $$$. Appreciate the tip though.

Could you find a second hand annex? We got a second hand one for our 17.58 fits just a little to long height wise which is weird as we have the outback? Will get it trimmed or something soon..
There was a annex on here made of shadecloth? I know Aussie Traveler do there sidewalls with zips of sunblaster stuff.

Would I need to install the track on the side of the van then? I will have a look for a second hand one as well.

Some people get "add a room " instead which is a room that goes on either end of the annex or I've seen people use a "minute tent" that they slide it's awning into the slot that runs along the awning tube so it's facing the van

Might need to google these ones. Cheers mate.

oztent 30 sec tent you can get a sail track add on. I think @Capt. Gadget has this setup.

Hopefully the good Captain might chime in here with a pic or two...

Reactions: Capt. Gadget

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks mate, so what you propose is that instead of using a skirt around the bottom we just use a mesh (or actually without it?) We've never actually used the fridge on gas, and when we do, I doubt it'd be for that long that we'd put up the annexe anyhow!

As for the gazebo, she was going to buy the walls as well...

Really appreciate the help though mate and really appreciate the input.
My thinking is if you opted for the mesh, it covers the manufacturer because (in theory) you cant block it even if you wanted to which should make manfacturer comfortable. If they go for it, you can order a proper skirt later as an accessory for when the fridge is on elec.

i presume they might be reluctant to supply the annex without a skirt at all, and the mesh is more of a concious action to provide the necessary venting.

cheers

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Would I need to install the track on the side of the van then? I will have a look for a second hand one as well.
Yes does not look hard to do although seeing I need to adjust the length will drop it in somewhere. We also need to get a draft skirt.
Ours is like 10cm too long so will get it trimmed or maybe put extend the mud skirt with new peg holes as some places we could do with the extra length.

Vid from aussiewise

As yours is a model thats been around a bit.. Maybe ping some people selling the same model and see if they separate it.
Or put a wanted ad up here, apart from cost one of the reasons we went s/h was I saw a lot of vans with Annexe used once or twice

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
Hi Smergon, we have an annex and no longer use it as the kids sleep in instant tent and swags. Got sick of putting up the annex and sitting outside with no shade. Now just use awning with shade wall. Kids in 2 second tent and swag that we can move around under awning if really wet, but usually swag goes under rear bed. Cover bikes etc with a tarp, makes it harder for people to see, also they are chained to A frame anyway.That's my 2 cents worth anyway.:D

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Oztent could come in handy if you want to rough it without the van as well. Probably need a roof rack on the Paj to carry it though. Plenty to think about mate.

Reactions: Smergen