Anderson plug

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Thinking. If I have a Anderson plug on the back of my Toyota, can I charge up the battery through that plug with my 120w solar panel. Or does it have to be connected on to the battery terminals. Cheers

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Where2nxt,

You should be able to connect your Solar Panel to the Anderson plug directly, as typically these are wired directly to the battery, at least in my case via a 30A fuse.

I presume your 120W panel has an inbuilt Solar Controller?

The only negative is the distance between the Solar Controller / Battery and the possible resultant voltage drop - hence efficiency may be lost depending on the voltage output.. Unfortunately they didn't use 6 B&S for me for the connection from the anderson plug through to the Battery, rather I believe it was 6mm auto. Something I may change down the track, although the Battery is rarely charged via the anderson plug now, due to the Solar Panel on the Roof.

Good luck with the charging!!

Cheers,

Glenn

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Brad I was thinking of charging the car as I don't have dual battery as yet. It's for when I park up and have my 60 ltr engel in the car still running. Maybe keep charge of the van to. Not the same time.
Shadow75, it does have a controller and im guessing with car cable and solar cable together, 7m
Thanks

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
i would pop the bonnet and connect the panel straight to the battery with some alligator clips and minimise the length of cable and potential volt drop.
Another more inexpensive way to power the fridge is to get a thumper second battery set up works like a duel battery but is portable so you can take it and the fridge out of the car and have it in your annex for a closer beer supply!!!
good luck!

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Righto. A normaly do pop the hood. The length of cable might be good for the van, total length would be 5m which I heard is the best max limit for 120w solar length....thanks for the battery idea Paul Lees. Im just sitting back having beers thinking. Picking the expanda up tomorrow, see if I can sleep tonight.
Thanks people