Starcraft And so it begins...........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
congrats to you @Billnjim
there is a lot of for's and against's for getting things fitted by Jayco - QA/QC (who said that) is only a small % of the hassels

sounds like you got a real nice Van coming (after a European holiday as well.......)

Reactions: Billnjim

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
So close and yet so far................

Finally veiwed our new Starcraft this afternoon - once I've taken delivery I'll post the photos.

I have noticed there is two cracks in/on the internal wall where the bike rack is attached from the outside...........we fear this crack will spread given the roads we intend to travel and are going to request that this be addressed prior to delivery given our previous experience with this particular dealer (still have bitter taste from when we had the flamingo ob and ended up having to get head office involved to get warranty work done - long story and dealer network is limited in WA).

Does anyone know how long it would take to repair or replace this panel/internal wall?

Other then this issue with the crack, the van is brilliant from what I saw - dining window no longer hits door, reading lamps are at the door end of the bed, sink is closest to the bed, outside shower is right on the rear corner; forgot to check on other equipment and fittment as I was somewhat deflated by the crack and kept going back to it to look at it.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
So close and yet so far................

Finally veiwed our new Starcraft this afternoon - once I've taken delivery I'll post the photos.

I have noticed there is two cracks in/on the internal wall where the bike rack is attached from the outside...........we fear this crack will spread given the roads we intend to travel and are going to request that this be addressed prior to delivery given our previous experience with this particular dealer (still have bitter taste from when we had the flamingo ob and ended up having to get head office involved to get warranty work done - long story and dealer network is limited in WA).

Does anyone know how long it would take to repair or replace this panel/internal wall?

Other then this issue with the crack, the van is brilliant from what I saw - dining window no longer hits door, reading lamps are at the door end of the bed, sink is closest to the bed, outside shower is right on the rear corner; forgot to check on other equipment and fittment as I was somewhat deflated by the crack and kept going back to it to look at it.
So close!! How annoying about the crack. Try not to dwell on it and I hope they fix it quickly for you. Can't wait to see pics of your new van once it's all sorted! Exciting.

For those that mentioned the drifter control being put by the bunks I mentioned this to my dealer and he told me he would be very surprised if a dealer allowed a van to go out with one not in the kitchen. He said, as we all know, it's laziness at the factory and we would never know about it as he'd have it relocated before we even saw the van and we'd get a bonus powerpoint/12v where it had been on the bunk wall. I know I read of one van on here having it which is why I mentioned it to him. So now you all know if you end up with an extra on the bunk wall!

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Hope they rectify it quickly. I would think the internal wall is largely cosmetic and cracked when the over tightened the bike rack. Hopefully not much time/effort to repair. Is it inside the cupboard or on top?

Yep it's where they tightened the bike rake & it's on top of the cupboards and only on the one side from the plate that's covered by the plastic cover - didn't check inside the cupboards, hope it's not the same there.

So close!! How annoying about the crack. Try not to dwell on it and I hope they fix it quickly for you. Can't wait to see pics of your new van once it's all sorted! Exciting.

For those that mentioned the drifter control being put by the bunks I mentioned this to my dealer and he told me he would be very surprised if a dealer allowed a van to go out with one not in the kitchen. He said, as we all know, it's laziness at the factory and we would never know about it as he'd have it relocated before we even saw the van and we'd get a bonus powerpoint/12v where it had been on the bunk wall. I know I read of one van on here having it which is why I mentioned it to him. So now you all know if you end up with an extra on the bunk wall!

Drifter is above the sink area in the kitchen - have the dual battery controller on the bunk next to a double power point.

I really need to learn how to upload photos so I can share my excitement.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
image.jpeg

Here it is ?????? This is mine @Billnjim same as yours. Nearly every other 17-58-3 has it on the other side of the fridge above the splashback.

Last edited:

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Heres my offering, we picked up our 17.58-3ob on christmas eve ( happy christmas to us). I did a fair bit of research before ordering. These were our options
extended a frame
rear mounted spare
bike rack
fold down picnic table
2nd battery
150 solar
offside annex light
2nd nearside annex light
extra240 socket near fridge
extra 240 near cupboard on entry
external hatches under main bed and bunks
drifter panel on fridge panel side over stove
solar reg mounted under bunk
water filter
big fridge
roof air
esc
fusion basic
shelves in robe
centre mounted jockey
tri fold table
extra outside240 power point
windup antenna

all the above was completed at factory with exception of 2nd nearside annex light and trifold, which will be done 1st service.
Cheers Tony

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Tomorrow is the day...........have been assured crack issue will be repaired in the very near future - we just really need to get away for a few days (long story) so have decided to collect prior to repairs being conducted. Will be getting an appointment date in writing prior to handing over the bank cheque. Service manager at caravanland (Rob) was a pleasure to deal with and hopefully we aren't left as disappointed as we were with the flamingo ob.

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
I loved my Flamingo OB.........
sounds like you may need to tell us all about your Flamingo ...........

Primary faults were the leaking roof and substandard stitching on the seams around the beds and a majority of the windows - other issues were poorly aligned benches, drawers and cupboards, snapped leaf spring (apparently alko had a bad batch) which they only replaced one of leaving the camper with a lean, several areas where there were holes for fixings but no actual fixing in place. At handover when we observed these faults we were told to get a list together and they'll see if it's a warranty job...............several phone calls and unanswered emails later we were getting, I'll use the term frustrated as its a family forum, and as a last ditch effort/resort contact jayco head office with our concerns. We were instructed to put everything in writing to them and email it immediately (you can imagine how the pessimist in was thinking with this request) & within 24hrs had a return email from jayco head office acknowledging our email and stating they will investigate our concerns and assigned us a 'liason officer' (again the pessimist raises his head). Early the next day we received a phone call saying a third party will be contact shortly to arrange a mutually agreeable time to have our concerns assessed. Within the hour we received the phone call & he came down to look at the camper the next day. He had a look and said he'd be back after the weekend to collect the camper and take it in for repairs including replacing the roof entirely; true to his word the camper was collected, repaired and returned to us the following week. I was FIFO so wasn't home to inspect the job but upon my return home & inspection noted damage to the vinyl floor and the fridge door - called up immediately and reported it to be told it wasn't on the list of jobs to do (because there weren't any problems with these when the camper was collected). Tried arguing my point but in the end was easier to leave it as a bad experience and avoid this repairer/service agent in Belmont at all costs. All previously reported were rectified. Just bitter it took us being given the run around for months on end and having to contact head office for any form of a response, then having additional damage done by a third party who denied all responsibility - everytime we used the camper we were reminded of the saga when looking at the fridge door or the floor.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh wow, a smile and a grimace all at the same time...............My Colorado had a warranty issue not long after I got it, thought about warranty hassles, fixed it myself, was quicker and less agro, the same with Big Mal, would have meant 2 trips to Brissie and a few days, did it myself in a day, over the years I have found unless it's something major I do it myself as I found it could lead to more hassles to let them at it.

Reactions: bigcol and Billnjim

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Oh wow, a smile and a grimace all at the same time...............My Colorado had a warranty issue not long after I got it, thought about warranty hassles, fixed it myself, was quicker and less agro, the same with Big Mal, would have meant 2 trips to Brissie and a few days, did it myself in a day, over the years I have found unless it's something major I do it myself as I found it could lead to more hassles to let them at it.

I'll be honest here and say when it comes to a majority of subjects outside my comfort zone my confidence depreciates rapidly - doesn't mean I can't do it, just means I'd continuously stress over it being done wrong by me and probably going to fail at any given minute or the minute that's most inconvenient leaving me worse off. With the flamingo it was a steep learning curve on QA/QC and how just because it's claimed to have been done doesn't mean it has...............it was the first ever brand new big $$$ item I had ever bought so I wrongly assumed everything would be perfect. Sure as hell didn't expect to be given the run around with my concerns and claims.
The 17.58-3ob I picked up yesterday is not without its faults but the responses and commitment I have had from caravanland this time have been nothing short of excellent and a vast improvement on my last dealings with them 8 years ago. All faults are booked in to be rectified in mid April. This time round I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone looking for a new van or camper.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm glad it seems to be working this time for you @Billnjim , bought a new vehicle 40 yrs ago and they stuffed up the first free service, I never went back and had to learn how to do it, at odd times when I thought it would be beyond me, spent the dollars for the experts only to find they weren't or did a poor job, now I have confidence, no qualifications other than a good dose of CDF but I still stuff up...........and have mild panic attacks when I look at what I've taken on sometimes but overall it just gets better.

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
image.jpeg
So we managed to get away for a few days with the new toys..........no real complaints apart from struggling to get the bikes on the racks - found it easier if I removed the seat off mine & kept the wife's closest to the van (27.5 & 29er); daughters bike travelled in the van. Any how's had a good play with most things that I could remember from the handover and pretty much just sat back admiring it and planning mods (so many for both) which looking at the current bank balance will take some time (currently looking for work before I start Uni next semester). Took the tug for its first off road run on the track to three bears - surf was pumping but didn't take boards away this time so just watched. Was pretty surprised to see an amorak struggling on this track - assumed maybe it was poor choice of line from the owner despite the track conditions not being the worst I have seen them - guess you've got to learn somewhere.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well that's it..... I'm leaving this forum. Too many new vans and 200 Series being shown!!!!!
Nahhhh... Just kidding. Looks great @Billnjim . Where did you end up going to?

Also a couple of us are heading to Toodyay for Easter if you don't already have plans. Otherwise keep your eyes on the WA Meets/Members page for upcoming trips.

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Well that's it..... I'm leaving this forum. Too many new vans and 200 Series being shown!!!!!
Nahhhh... Just kidding. Looks great @Billnjim . Where did you end up going to?

Also a couple of us are heading to Toodyay for Easter if you don't already have plans. Otherwise keep your eyes on the WA Meets/Members page for upcoming trips.

Went down to Mandalay for a couple of nights - it's a great park where we can just stay and do nothing and the daughter has still got the opportunity to play/ride/swim/play; or I can go surfing and to the 'other' attractions in the area.

May take you up on the offer for Toodyay depending on the wife's roster.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree