Exterior Amber anti bug lights

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Does anyone have an opinion if Amber anti bug lights are worth the time and dollars to fit them under the outside awning to help keep the nasties away,as a greenie at heart it disturbs me to see a beetle doing duck dives into my casserole, or a moth doing back stroke in my beer, hmmmmm .maybe we should install great arrays along the border

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Does anyone have an opinion if Amber anti bug lights are worth the time and dollars to fit them under the outside awning to help keep the nasties away,as a greenie at heart it disturbs me to see a beetle doing duck dives into my casserole, or a moth doing back stroke in my beer, hmmmmm .maybe we should install great arrays along the border

There are now plenty of battery/rechargeable bug zappers available now at Camping stores, Aldi and the like. Some have a blue light and a white light besides the high voltage grid to fry the bugs. Recharging is through a USB terminal and different ones last for several hours too. I just hang them up around the the outside fairly close to my other ordinary lights. They do work, but you have to keep the grid cleanof zapped insects for best effect. One of the jobs straight after breakfast.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
now that is a whole new way to go, nothing like the smell of cremated moth to go with my canape and $3 bottle of red....shudder!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
now that is a whole new way to go, nothing like the smell of cremated moth to go with my canape and $3 bottle of red....shudder!

@poor but proud , I don't know what type of canape you would be consuming and washing it down with a rough red ($3.00). I could never smell ANY bugs whilst drinking my bottle of cheap champagne - very expensive at $10.00 a bottle. Maybe upgrade the quality of your alcohol so you won't smell a thing!!! Cheers and good drinking!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Tried all the lights and zappers at times, found the best way was to hang a 12v fluro off the back of the ute away from the van, kept the bugs away from under the awning which just had the leds running....pile of dead bugs and a mob of cane toads having a party by the ute.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
@poor but proud , I don't know what type of canape you would be consuming and washing it down with a rough red ($3.00). I could never smell ANY bugs whilst drinking my bottle of cheap champagne - very expensive at $10.00 a bottle. Maybe upgrade the quality of your alcohol so you won't smell a thing!!! Cheers and good drinking!!
after a couple of glasses of rough red ,i dont care whats on the canape,if we have visitors i get out my good clean skins at $6 a bottle,after the first couple its hard to judge between $6 and $20 bottles,now that should start a stir with the hard core wine buffs, PS the beauty of wine casks is that you cant see the level go down

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
PS the beauty of wine casks is that you cant see the level go down

I was going to mentions that along with being far better for camping, no glass, easy to pour from table edge into coffee cup, just a win, win for me......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Despite dubious evidence to the contrary, Victorians are not bugs. Any appearance to be moving toward UV is coincidental

I have friends that favoured rolling out a Korr ($$$) version of the amber LED strip light, and I can absolutely assure it made not a single bit of difference. I got hammered by tiny bugs one night up on the Murray late last year, and Ive added a single cheap Kings 4wd LED strip to my kit but havent had the chance to trial it, although from experiencing an expensive Korr variety Im not expecting much

I did see a Youtube video where a dude covered his awning LED strip with yellow electrical tape. Not sure if it worked to minimise the bugs but certainly very much looked the part

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was going to mentions that along with being far better for camping, no glass, easy to pour from table edge into coffee cup, just a win, win for me......
... and make a mighty fine pillow when your done tonight, and even better net float tomorrow when your hungry

Fallen

Feb 7, 2019
WA
I covered my awning led strips in yellow electrical tape (from the coloured 5 pack you can get at Bunnings). Seems to work well and also tones down the brightness. I also have orange-tinge festoon style led lights I string across when we're staying for a while (got a 24V to 12V step down transformer that can run them when free camping, very low amps). Plus blue led lights along the awning side under the caravan (cheap from eBay, stuck with silicone). Bugs don't seem to be attracted to any of these. As soon as I turn the white single led outside light on, they flock to that. So i keep it off.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
wow Fallen, you sure are trying different colours, the only one i have done so far is placing orange cellophane under the clear cover of my main annex light ( T10 led ) no heat to speak of. if it works in the bush i may invest in a marine grade orange led strip light, piggy back wired and switched to the annex light circut ,i am not sure if i am a fan of the rolls of leds you see on ebay as i am not sure how weatherproof they would be, how do you power the strip light under the annex?

Fallen

Feb 7, 2019
WA
The one under the annex came stock with the van, embedded into the tube. The strips under the van itself I popped through into the front tunnel from underneath and took power from the tunnel light, via a separate switch.