20' Series Almost ready to purchase - 20.64-1

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Ok. I've done it.

Before I start - special big thanks to Warren who showed me his van on Sunday and really helped me finalise my thoughts. Really appreciate it and I hope I can return the favour - a real credit to the forum.

But it didn't stop there - I had some troubles finding a dealer that was actually happy to help me and Warren suggested the guys at Watsons in Port Maquarie were both helpful and fantastic to deal with when he got his van earlier this year.

I ended up doing the same and couldn't be happier with the service so have put the deposit down for a 20.64-1 outback with the following options:
- Table / foldup bunks. Was originally two bunks but warren showed me his van and there is heaps of storage even with the table
- Outback spec. Was originally going to be Underslung from factory but to be honest the weight difference was going to be around 80kg so I figured it was worth the small increase.
- Cooktop with Oven
- TV bracket (will reuse my TV from my existing van)
- extended a-frame (have asked for spare wheel on rear under van - but doubt they will do it)
- bed converter
- 12v and 240v for rear bed
- TV antenna. Was originally the Sphere Sat but was dropped due to cost.
- IBIS Aircon upgrade
- Drifter Control Panel
- Basic Stereo option
- Two external tables
- washing machine
- Jayco bed ends
- Dual external 12v outlets (to run my portable fridges for extra drinks outside)
- bayonet point to front and rear (for Weber)

Now the wait begins...

Huge congrats matey and glad to help out, a huge purchase for you and the family. Glad it helped to come over and run through the van at your own pace rather than with a salesman standing over you. As I said mate any excuse for me to get in to the van and open her up is fine by me.

Glad you had the same experience as me with Watsons, Deffo worth the drive both on service and price, plus it turns into a weekend away when they put you up at Bonny hills for the night.

I wonder what the new decals will look like on your model and what handles they will now have?

Congrats again, start the countdown clock.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

jcexpanda2007

Sep 22, 2013
Melbourne
Congratulations on your purchase. We picked up our 20.64-1 OB 2 weeks ago. Quite similar spec to yours. A couple of things we decided to add in were:
- an extra down light for the en suite mirror. i.e. 3 instead of 2 downlights. Essential for makeup apparently ;-)
- added a downlight over the sink. Forward of the bowl, to light up the preparation area better (+ own switch)
- added towel rails to the wall outside the en suite near the rear bed end
- optioned up the toilet seat to be ceramic.
- added a flush power point to the wall aft of the cooktop. We place appliances on the closed cooktop lid (coffee maker/toaster/nutri-bullet) and the nearest GPO is near the entry door.
- had a pigeon hole cut into the rear wall above the top bunk. Great for storage & access into an otherwise hard to get at cupboard.

Most of these items were $0 by the dealer.

Cheers,
John.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Power point near cooker is Deffo needed. I am going to install one myself.

I'm also going to make a solid lightweight cover to sit nice over the cooker to put things on rather than scratch the lid. Something that will also double up as a chopping board maybe. Just got to find the right material. Once I do that i will cut it to size and put some rubber feet on the bottom to stop sliding.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Ok. I've done it.

Before I start - special big thanks to Warren who showed me his van on Sunday and really helped me finalise my thoughts. Really appreciate it and I hope I can return the favour - a real credit to the forum.

But it didn't stop there - I had some troubles finding a dealer that was actually happy to help me and Warren suggested the guys at Watsons in Port Maquarie were both helpful and fantastic to deal with when he got his van earlier this year.

I ended up doing the same and couldn't be happier with the service so have put the deposit down for a 20.64-1 outback with the following options:
- Table / foldup bunks. Was originally two bunks but warren showed me his van and there is heaps of storage even with the table
- Outback spec. Was originally going to be Underslung from factory but to be honest the weight difference was going to be around 80kg so I figured it was worth the small increase.
- Cooktop with Oven
- TV bracket (will reuse my TV from my existing van)
- extended a-frame (have asked for spare wheel on rear under van - but doubt they will do it)
- bed converter
- 12v and 240v for rear bed
- TV antenna. Was originally the Sphere Sat but was dropped due to cost.
- IBIS Aircon upgrade
- Drifter Control Panel
- Basic Stereo option
- Two external tables
- washing machine
- Jayco bed ends
- Dual external 12v outlets (to run my portable fridges for extra drinks outside)
- bayonet point to front and rear (for Weber)

Now the wait begins...

Congrats

Sitting in my new 20.64-1 OB and enjoying it.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Power point near cooker is Deffo needed. I am going to install one myself.
Not sure about your model @warren cook but in that area of our 17.56.2 it is hard to get in behind all the panels, cupboards etc without pulling the van apart.....

Ended up getting one of these from the Big Green Shed..... $4.00 and saved a lot of heartache trying to pull things apart..... Just take apart minimum bits, feed it through, tape the cables to it and pull them through! Just make sure you are not plugged into power when doing it "Just in Case"

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Not sure about your model @warren cook but in that area of our 17.56.2 it is hard to get in behind all the panels, cupboards etc without pulling the van apart.....

Ended up getting one of these from the Big Green Shed..... $4.00 and saved a lot of heartache trying to pull things apart..... Just take apart minimum bits, feed it through, tape the cables to it and pull them through! Just make sure you are not plugged into power when doing it "Just in Case"

So far all my mods are in the wishing stage without any real planning. I'm away with the van for two weeks now so I will Deffo start taking the plans to the next level. Thanks for the tip as well.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Trips away are the best thing for working out what is "NEEDED"... Trust me ;)
Yeah I'm kinda torn between doing things because everyone seems to be doing them rather than whether I actually need to. I mean I would love a toolbox on the front, but everything fits comfortably in the boot so I don't have a need for it if you understand my point.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Understand totally... The box wouldn't be on ours if we had a decent sized tunnel boot or things didn't have to get stored inside the van!

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If you don't need it, don't worry about it!

My mantra is to keep it as simple ( and light) as possible. Not everyone agrees...that's fine. But just because many others feel they need all those extras, you may not. It's your choice.

Having been sanctimonious, I now have to confess our new van will have a custom made toolbox....because we've discovered we need it and it's part of the ATM.

:oops::(;)

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
If you don't need it, don't worry about it!

My mantra is to keep it as simple ( and light) as possible. Not everyone agrees...that's fine. But just because many others feel they need all those extras, you may not. It's your choice.

Having been sanctimonious, I now have to confess our new van will have a custom made toolbox....because we've discovered we need it and it's part of the ATM.

:oops::(;)
A few more trips away and I think I will start to get a better feel or start looking for more convenient options. Right now I'm still in the honeymoon period with the van