20' Series Almost ready to purchase - 20.64-1

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Hi Guy's,

Just trying to finalise the price for a purchase in the next few weeks.

Am going for a 20.64-1 touring with the following options:
- 2 fixed bunks and external access doors
- Underslung from factory
- Cooktop with Oven
- 150w solar
- TV bracket (will reuse my TV from my existing van)
- extended a-frame (have asked for spare wheel on rear under van)
- bed converter
- access door (on rear right) for rear trunk
- 12v and 240v for rear bed
- Sphere Sat
- IBIS Aircon upgrade
- Shelves to robe
- Drifter Control Panel
- Basic Stereo option
- Two external tables
- washing machine
- Jayco bed ends
- Dual external 12v outlets (to run my portable fridges for extra drinks outside)
- bayonet point to rear (for Weber)

We will mostly do caravan parks with a little free camping for a few days.

Did I miss anything?

Reason I didn't go for an outback as I have a 3t towing limit and I wanted to save the 100kilo weight difference for the payload.

The dealer suggested I get the factory to stamp the ATM at a fixed 3t so I can't go over. Does anyone have any opinions about this?

The only item I am still unsure of is if I bother with the leather upgrade...

Any ideas what sort of discount from list you can normally expect?

Thanks
Chris

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Comprehensive list @ChrisFatboySydney

Re leather: do you have two kids? What do Jayco charge for the leather option? If it's a significant cost, I'd be inclined to just use a throw or similar to protect the standard fabric. We've always scotch guarded ours, thrown a protective cover of some sort and no problem at all.

Exciting times for you!

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Comprehensive list @ChrisFatboySydney

Re leather: do you have two kids? What do Jayco charge for the leather option? If it's a significant cost, I'd be inclined to just use a throw or similar to protect the standard fabric. We've always scotch guarded ours, thrown a protective cover of some sort and no problem at all.

Exciting times for you!

I have four kids. I plan on using the bed converter so am worried the leather won't be soft enough as well.

Good suggestion - thanks

Reactions: Delano

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
You're on a roll! (I know what it's like; you wake up and instantly think 'I'd better check x, y, z or, what if?'

With four kids and using the bed converter frequently I'd definitely do without the leather. Apart from anything else, leather is slippery and the fabric is easier to protect. Just be very sure to check the seams for strength before you take delivery....that would be a weak point, if any.

Are you going to use bed linen, doonas for that? A sleeping bag with a sheet for kids is easy but it depends on whether your times away are short or long stays. Whatever packs away easily for travel but is comfortable for the kids.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hi Guy's,

Just trying to finalise the price for a purchase in the next few weeks.

Am going for a 20.64-1 touring with the following options:
- 2 fixed bunks and external access doors
- Underslung from factory
- Cooktop with Oven
- 150w solar
- extended a-frame (have asked for spare wheel on rear under van)
- bed converter
- access door (on rear right) for rear trunk
- Sphere Sat
- IBIS Aircon upgrade
- Shelves to robe
- Drifter Control Panel
- Basic Stereo option
- Two external tables
- washing machine
- Jayco bed ends
- Dual external 12v outlets (to run my portable fridges for extra drinks outside)
- bayonet point to rear (for Weber)

We will mostly do caravan parks with a little free camping for a few days.

Did I miss anything?

Reason I didn't go for an outback as I have a 3t towing limit and I wanted to save the 100kilo weight difference for the payload.

The dealer suggested I get the factory to stamp the ATM at a fixed 3t so I can't go over. Does anyone have any opinions about this?

The only item I am still unsure of is if I bother with the leather upgrade...

Congrats,

Great van choice.

How old are the kids, can 2 of them share the drop down for a while? rather than use the slide out lounge or are they older kids?

All I will say about price is that I live 10k's from St Marys and I ended up buying from Watsons Port Macquarie. Happy to divulge if need be.

Sounds like you have everything covered looking at the accessories, good choices well done.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
good list, it looks like you have thought long and hard about what you need

my suggestion

extra power points inside
kitchen
under table (for kids phones / lappy's / whatever
near the beds - kids can charge their toys at night

Reactions: Delano and dagree

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
How old are the kids, can 2 of them share the drop down for a while? rather than use the slide out lounge or are they older kids?

All I will say about price is that I live 10k's from St Marys and I ended up buying from Watsons Port Macquarie. Happy to divulge if need be.

13, 10, 3 and 1 are the ages. I probably don't need the bed converter initially but wanted something when the two older kids get sick of sharing.

Yeah. I am in Cranebrook myself. I might try newcastle as well. Would love to find out how you went if that isn't a big ask? I'll message you privately.

Chris

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
good list, it looks like you have thought long and hard about what you need

my suggestion

extra power points inside
kitchen
under table (for kids phones / lappy's / whatever
near the beds - kids can charge their toys at night

Great suggestions. Love the under table idea.

I managed to get a drawing and have marked up my options..

IMG_1979.JPG

Reactions: G Daddy and bigcol

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
13, 10, 3 and 1 are the ages. I probably don't need the bed converter initially but wanted something when the two older kids get sick of sharing.

Yeah. I am in Cranebrook myself. I might try newcastle as well. Would love to find out how you went if that isn't a big ask? I'll message you privately.

Chris

I have 4 young kids, twin 6yr olds 4 and 2.

4+2 share the bed and the twins have the bunks, this set up will last quite a few years as I have all girls. We also have the bed converter for later down the track. To be honest right now between the young ones me and the wife, we play musical beds anyway, when they wake through the night and get in to our bed either the missus or me move to an empty one.

Happy to pm me mate, I will give you my number as probably easier to explain over the phone. Picking up from further away also turned into a weekend getaway so that was good.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Hi I have leather and had fabric the leather which is only on the lounge is easy to wipe clean when little oily fingers touch it. The fabric looked dirty and was a pain to wash. I am in the same situation and down the track I will get a bed converter but I think I'd just settle for the fabric as you won't see it with a sheet or mattress protector on it.

Lonnie

Oct 24, 2016
Ulladulla
We have a 20.64 on order at the moment. The wait is a killer! We went through Jayco Canberra and have been really happy with the service we have received so far.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
We have a 20.64 on order at the moment. The wait is a killer! We went through Jayco Canberra and have been really happy with the service we have received so far.

Congrats on a great choice of van.

We were told a 3 month wait and got a phone call 1 month early saying the van had arrived, 2 weeks later after the annex was fitted I picked it up, we were over the moon. Problem was I wasn't ready and then had a mad dash organising things and picking up essentials.

Good luck with the handover.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. Good Luck.

@warren cook did you get your shed / driveway sorted in time? I seem to remember that there was something major you needed to do.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Yep. Good Luck.

@warren cook did you get your shed / driveway sorted in time? I seem to remember that there was something major you needed to do.

That's right, I still haven't done it either. I have 5 metres down the side of the house that I was going to prepare for the van, its currently just unused but its on the other side of the house to the driveway so it means going over my beloved front lawn to get to it, which is now ruined as the van sits on it now. In the new year I will get in to it, honestly I will!

I am going to prepare a base with drainage and then top it off with fake turf and have the van sit on that. The van will only roll straight on and off so should not cause too much damage to the surface, unlike the crabbing on the real stuff. I have even bought a power jockey wheel to put it in place rather than drive over it with more wheels.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Great suggestions. Love the under table idea.

I managed to get a drawing and have marked up my options..

View attachment 46638

Just had a close look at your layout.

We have pretty much the same layout, except our HWS is in the bottom of what is shown as the robe in your design. I think it would even be better there than in the front boot.

One of the big pluses is that full width tunnel boot.

At least they have moved the battery out of there in yours, but then added the HWS. It would be fantastic if there was nothing in there.

I've attached our layout for reference. You have the pantry and robe which is better than ours

Attachments

• 21.61-1_layout.pdf
    634.9 KB · Views: 211

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Ok. I've done it.

Before I start - special big thanks to Warren who showed me his van on Sunday and really helped me finalise my thoughts. Really appreciate it and I hope I can return the favour - a real credit to the forum.

But it didn't stop there - I had some troubles finding a dealer that was actually happy to help me and Warren suggested the guys at Watsons in Port Maquarie were both helpful and fantastic to deal with when he got his van earlier this year.

I ended up doing the same and couldn't be happier with the service so have put the deposit down for a 20.64-1 outback with the following options:
- Table / foldup bunks. Was originally two bunks but warren showed me his van and there is heaps of storage even with the table
- Outback spec. Was originally going to be Underslung from factory but to be honest the weight difference was going to be around 80kg so I figured it was worth the small increase.
- Cooktop with Oven
- extended a-frame (have asked for spare wheel on rear under van - but doubt they will do it)
- bed converter
- TV antenna. Was originally the Sphere Sat but was dropped due to cost.
- IBIS Aircon upgrade
- Drifter Control Panel
- Basic Stereo option
- Two external tables
- washing machine
- Jayco bed ends
- bayonet point to front and rear (for Weber)

Now the wait begins...

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Just had a close look at your layout.

We have pretty much the same layout, except our HWS is in the bottom of what is shown as the robe in your design. I think it would even be better there than in the front boot.

It is a great layout. With four kids I have had trouble finding a layout that worked. I really need the club lounge and the toilet/shower so it was only ever going to be the 20ft for me.

More than what I wanted to pay but you only live once I guess :)