Swift Alko ESC on Swift Camper

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
Well we went back to Jayco dealer on Saturday to order an annexe - very dangerous on the hip pocket. We walked away not only with the annexe, which I was pleased to learn the awning and annexe is made through our local canvas supplier which is of a very high standard, but also ESC, pole carrier and mud flaps.

We also found out about Alko ESC and ordered it as a safety feature on our Swift. Whilst it probably seems like overkill on further investigation these seem like a worthwhile investment that you hope one will never need but would be sure glad we've got it if we did.

Has anyone got ESC on their vans and if so what is their opinion?

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
If you don't mind me asking, what did they sting you for on the ESC? I am in two minds about possibly getting it on ours when the time comes.

Swift64

May 7, 2013
Ballarat
$900 ordered from new. Apparently retrofits are from $1,200 - $1,500. The lady at the dealership said she got to test them at Sanddown Racecourse on a demo day and she has had it fitted to her van and has recommended it to her parents too. CIL Insurance also offer a 10% discount on insurance too.

Reactions: cruza driver

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We had ESC retro fitted to our Expanda. $1400 all up. I had it wired with an Andreson plug from car to van because I was told power draw can be quite high if in use. I think I felt it come on when I went around a corner too fast

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
Thats what I thought.The basic inputs to the VAN ESC will be limited and as far as I can see its no more worth than knowing how to drive correctly, have a tow vehicle that is 30% more in weight than the vans ATM and slow down. My Pajeros ESC, EBD, ABS and traction control all operate on each wheel independently (trying) to stop me from killing myself . A van ESC is a "on or nothing" proposition, so like people say its probably just as effective as hitting the brake override switch. I dont see the worth in it really but am not knocking anyone for buying one, I think it just needs to match the smarts of the cars systems before it truely becomes an effective system.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Thats what I thought.The basic inputs to the VAN ESC will be limited and as far as I can see its no more worth than knowing how to drive correctly, have a tow vehicle that is 30% more in weight than the vans ATM and slow down. My Pajeros ESC, EBD, ABS and traction control all operate on each wheel independently (trying) to stop me from killing myself . A van ESC is a "on or nothing" proposition, so like people say its probably just as effective as hitting the brake override switch. I dont see the worth in it really but am not knocking anyone for buying one, I think it just needs to match the smarts of the cars systems before it truely becomes an effective system.
At the end of the day anything that can make traveling safer should be embraced. I have to ask re the quotes saying "hit the brake override". How many people would have the smarts to be able to do this whilst wrestling the steering wheel and performing an emergency brake? I know most people have the controllers down near their knees. I am one of them and there is no way in hell I would be able to do that quickly without taking my eye of the road etc.

Just my opinion.

BJ.

Edited for my bad typing and stupid autocorrect!

Last edited:
Reactions: CJ1177

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
U know the 2013 models have it prewired in the trailer loom? Which means all you would need would be the hardware. I noticed the other week when I was checking over all the wiring.
yeah thats all you need, but alko won't sell them to the public, they will only sell to authorised installers, guess they are covering their arse for a wrong install causing problems. and each unit is configured for that van, weight, wheels etc so you can't swap between vans without getting it reprogrammed. I can imagine what would happen if someone put one in the wrong spot or back to front, would cause more bad than good.

and like ppl say it's the same as hitting the override on the brake controller or accelerating to pull the van straight, only difference it does it before you even think of doing that, my guess is in a few years they will be as common as antilock on a car and may even be compulsory for a new van

yeah i install them ........ and don't get paid a cent extra for my trouble :)

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
At the end of the day anything that can make traveling safer should be embraced. I have to ask re the quotes saying "hit the brake override". How many people would have the smarts to be able to do this whilst wrestling the steering wheel and perform I and emergency brake? I know most people have the controllers down near their knees. I am on of them and there is no way in hell I would be able to do that quickly woot taking my eye of the road etc.

Just my opinion.

BJ.
I Absolutely agree, there was no way in my situation that I was taking one hand off the steering wheel to reach down & find a emergency stop button, of which only applies the same force as what you have dialed in any way for normal braking operation.

Reactions: Bmhdg76