Al Ko Electronic stability control

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Ozwitch,

Had a look at their site and video on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Ay9nSuXrM

Looks very interesting and was not surprised to see the video published by CLI Insurance.

Will be interesting when the retro-fit will be available in 2013.

The insurance companies my start requiring Electronic Stability Control (ESC) on vans they insure, or at least offer a discount if you have it fitted!

Hope the retro-fit cost is reasonable as I would certainly look at having it fitted!

Ro

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Straydingo,

It would be interesting to see how traditional weight distribution and sway control systems work under the same International Standard swerve tests. You can see the ESC tests on their video in both dry and wt conditions.

I would imagine that having both systems, they would not fight against each other, as the ESC is applying the van's brakes when a significant lateral shift is occurring. The sway control bars may have already dissengaged at the point the ESC is activating as the weight and angle of the van to the car would surely have caused the stability/sway control bars to pass their normal point, much like a turn would.

It is an interesting question and I suppose only the manufacturer AL-KO is qualified to comment on the use of both the systems concurrently.

Ro

Ozwitch

May 15, 2012
Melbourne
Straydingo, yes, I have one on the Discovery and I think Audi also operate one. From what I have read, the two systems don't argue at all, they work separately to control each vehicle, and as someone pointed out, having the van correct itself rather than the car trying to do it is desirable if that is where the sways start from. Same for the P3 and Hayes electronic brake controllers. But I would like someone from Al-Ko to properly explain it in better terms than I can.

Ozwitch

May 15, 2012
Melbourne
Sorry for the double post, I thought this needed its own space:

Here is a reply from Al-Ko, very quick off the mark!

We are in the process of compiling a FAQ page which will cover many of the questions we are commonly asked about the operation and installation of AL-KO ESC.

As a member of a prominent forum in the caravanning and RV industry,
it would be helpful to us if you can gather some questions from forum members,
we can then endeavour to address them for you in our soon to be published FAQ section.

It is our aim to use our website (www.alkoesc.com.au) as a centrally located and constantly updated public resource for the AL-KO ESC.

With mods permission, perhaps questions for Al-Ko could be put on this thread and be forwarded to Al-Ko? Only if you think it's appropriate - maybe there is an alternative, I don't know. I'm happy to do the legwork.