14' Series Aircon freezing

TheEddies

Nov 28, 2015
The Gap Brisbane
Hi all. Need some advise from this wonderful group. We have an Expanda 14 pop top with a Heron 2.2 split system aircon. We live in Brisbane and went to Maroochydore to try and escape the heat but it followed us. OK we have aircon lets try it, closed everything we could and turned it on. After a couple of hours the inside unit froze up. It was very humid and by the sea. What are the best settings to avoid the ice up, fast fan, slow fan, lower temp, go for a swim.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the humidity is what kills refrigerated aircon
so much moisture, so little ability to get rid of it

have the temp - 22-24
slow fan speed
make sure every window is closed

but yes, go for a swim the best idea

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As BigCol said it's the humidity, but since the Heron is a split system then fan speed doesn't matter but the temp setting does, too cold and you will get ice, same thing can happen at home or in car. Too cold and the moisture in the air will freeze on the tubes before it has a chance to getaway, so start off with the temp in the little blue are then slowly move it into the bigger blue bit.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi @TheEddies,
Our old 14.44-4ob had the same air-conditioner and in high humidity it would ice up as well. I found it only occurred when the fan speed was on low. When I ran the fan at a higher fan speed, it wouldn't do it. Also make sure you keep the filters clean as poor or restrictive airflow will cause it to ice up as well.
Cheers
Nick

TheEddies

Nov 28, 2015
The Gap Brisbane
Thanks bigcol, Drover, and Rockape.
You have answered my query, I will check filters asap. We have had the van for nearly a year now and have used the aircon only for a short periods. We have used the heater element a couple of times.

Reactions: bigcol

Pauline

Dec 10, 2016
Perth
We were told never to run the aircon below 23 deg as it runs at it's most efficient at that temperature and yes it's a must to keep the filters really clean.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Never ever put your bare hand into places you can't see, caravan builders sweep all wood and metal swirl under the mats, back of cupboards anywhere it's out of sight but never into a bin.. Big Mal is 5 yrs old and still finding the damn stuff.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I was worried about snakes in hiding ....and it's only metal filings!

We found a rivet that completely stuffed up the slide on the slide out kitchen...the only way we could move it was with one person climbing into the opposite hatch and shoving the whole thing with a broom.

Not a pretty sight. All good now after we suggested to the dealer that it wasn't a great advertisement for their product, particularly in caravan parks, if this was what had to be done.

and I agree with the mess left.....it can be dangerous. They must have very specific time allocations to each job or part of a job if they've got to clean up by shoving it where it can't be seen.