Air command sparrow or Dometic B2200

smwilk

Apr 6, 2012
Gold Coast
Hi all,

Dealer quoted me a sparrow but contracts have been drawn up as dometic. I'm leaning towards the sparrow. Apparently the sparrow has much better heater and is Aussie made. Any thoughts or experiences with either?

Thx

Smwilk

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Smwilk,

I've heard of sparrow but have no experience with, my dometic has heating element and does ok in the 16ft but not sure about a bigger van, don't know what size van you ordered. I'm looking at an 18ft and am leaning towards reverse cycle heating. Dealer quoted me extra $700 but that was ibis.

Cheers
Burnsy.

Famof5

Apr 20, 2012
Interesting. The order for our 16.49.3 was sent to the factory on 22/04/12 and we just got a copy. The air con we thought we were getting was the Dometic as that was in the display models at the Sydney Caravan & Camping Show. Just spoke to the dealer as our order indicates a Sparrow. Apparently they have just changed suppliers and are now putting the Sparrows in. I am told the Sparrows have a slimmer profile on the roof. I am also quite keen to hear which is preferable.
Cheers
Vanessa & Rick

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I had heard that jayco has swapped to sparrow. they are slightly lighter so good for poptops and much better heating because they are true reverse cycle. I don't know what my van will come with as I haven't confirmed yet, but I will be hoping for sparrow because of heating. quality may be another issue but I have no way of comparing the two.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Ahh - that also explains why our order confirmation from the Melbourne show has the Sparrow and not the Dometic. Still have to re-ask the question though as we are getting the 17.56-2 OB, and on the Sparrow web page, it says not to use on 17ft or greater and only on insulated vans. As the 17.56-2 is a pop-top with expandable ends, then is this really considered an insulated van that is less than 17 foot or is Jayco using another Sparrow model that is not yet listed on the Sparrow site that will cater for the specific characteristics of the expanda & pop-top?

Ro

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I spoke to the air command sales rep at the show and asked him this same question. he seemed to think the sparrow was fine for the 17 expanda.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi guys,

We had the Sparrow fitted to our 17.56-2 and it does a great job on heat. 0deg outside and 20d inside.

One question though. Are these units supposed to leak lots of condensation on to the roof. I could imagine around 30lt of water ran off my roof overnight. I understand that it is a condenser style heater and will always collect condensation, but should it have a drain that may be blocked?

Kev

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ring em up. But I would guess yes they just leak on to the roof.

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Hi guys,

We had the Sparrow fitted to our 17.56-2 and it does a great job on heat. 0deg outside and 20d inside.

One question though. Are these units supposed to leak lots of condensation on to the roof. I could imagine around 30lt of water ran off my roof overnight. I understand that it is a condenser style heater and will always collect condensation, but should it have a drain that may be blocked?

Kev

Hi Kev
I just got my 17.56-2 also with Sparrow, same as you, it keeps you warm at night, but plenty of water run off overnight. Only issue I had with it was the first time I was running off directly over the door. I adjusted the level slightly and all fixed.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
My Sparrow seems great for heating too.
Didnt notice the water running off. Must have been going to the back of the van