Electrical AGM Battery's

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Just came across an issue I was unaware of in regards to 12v batteries. I just replaced my AGM after only 9 months of use.

The battery shop suggested that the battery I had may not be a true AGM battery. Primarily because of it's construction and weight. The top had the standard clamp post plus screw posts. Apparently this is uncommon on true AGM batteries and usually indicative of a cheap Chinese knock-off. Also the top of the battery had standard shaped and vented refill caps, whereas AGM should be a couple of long sealed caps. My dead battery weighed around 25kg for a 100ah, the new 120ah is 33kg. He said this is also an indicator.
He suggested a couple of franchise type stores may be pulling the stunt of cheap imports rebranded to resemble genuine brands.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Any pics @peterg ???? I would be going back to the mob and giving them "what for", especially if it is clearly marked AGM, mine came with 24 mth warranty from Forbes Batteries and even the cheapies come with 12 mths at least...

Reactions: yabbietol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Any pics @peterg ???? I would be going back to the mob and giving them "what for", especially if it is clearly marked AGM, mine came with 24 mth warranty from Forbes Batteries and even the cheapies come with 12 mths at least...

No pictures. I'll have a look online when get back to the van. At Karijini this weekend.

Lost the receipt unfortunately. And being a few thousand kilometres from home makes it all too hard.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, I know where your coming from @peterg, throw it in the bin stamped lesson learnt, bin there myself....................lol,lol.