Toy Hauler Advice please on Suspension

JohnB

Nov 26, 2013
Hi Guys,

A limited but talented pool of Toy Hauler owners here - please share your wisdom. We are keen on a Work N Play Outback with ensuite, there's a couple of good ones 2nd hand at the minute and we have had quotes on new ($45k approx with solar for 2013).

The 2014 will have the better independent suspension and solar fitted etc, so if going new I'd order and join the queue - at $46k approx. As a good 2010 is available for $37k I attracted to it, we can add the solar and maybe a decent mattress (it has foam only).

The questions are how much better will the new suspension be over the current set-up? How much further would it go off road - is it even wise to tackle outback NSW (or further) corrugations with a van this big and a 660 bike in the back?

I doubt we will want to do the Gibb with Work N Play - is this even possible for example?

I tow a big Malibu Wakesetter with leaf twin axles now, it's equivalent or heavier than the Work N Play loaded and it's fine on roughish (- NSW folks will know) tar roads - our tow vehicle is a stock 200 series TD. I do have air bags to fit to the rear soon.

Love to hear you you all,

Cheers John

JohnB

Nov 26, 2013
Oh well, 129 views and no response, a little unusual for the web?

Anyhow we decided on a smaller van, not quite ready for the imposing full height of the Work N' Play, I might miss the opportunity to lug the bikes but we have more access with the smaller van. So a 2014 outback Penguin has made it's way into the garage - another plus I can garage it with the tug, 2 bikes and 2nd car.

Will post up pic's and some mods I have done in the campers forum shortly.

Cheers John

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
G'day John. Think you looking at something a wee bit bigger than my Swift.
Oh, and I looked at the Penguin as a possible replacement for my Swifty. I couldn't justify paying 24k for a smaller van than I have. I did consider the Outback version of Swifty, but decided to stay with what I have.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi @JohnB
That is strange that you had no replies. Must have slipped under the radar! Most of the views were probably non-members doing web searches. I dont know if the google spiders/crawlers register as views too?!

Congrats on the purchase of the Penguin. Sounds like you might have reached a good compromise. But how do you take the bikes with you?

whiplash

Mar 3, 2014
No reason why the Work N play cant do the gibb......ergo I'm going to be doing it in august with my brand new WNP.

WNP Independent is going to be around $56k not $46. I bought my 2013 WNP for $46k couple months ago priced down from $52. Which is when I got them quoted. So if you could of got it for $46k you should of went down that path as resale in 3-4 years will be same price id imagine. Mind you is that price the OB with toilet?

Anyway. I just fitted 400w solar system to my van and only cost me $600 so I am super stoked with that. Dealer wanted $1500. always areas to save money. It is a pretty big unit but so the Penguin will be more nimble offroad.