Just Browsing Advice on new 18, 20 or 21 foot model

Moore Family

Jun 18, 2014
SE Queensland
Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. @Moore Family, that is one good looking van in the picture. Have you has any height problems free camping? Or more specifically do you have to be careful which campgrounds you pick due to height and size? Thanks for the tip regarding the Alko-ESC system.
At camp sites you will have no trouble at all due to the height, as almost all campsites are designed with full height vans in mind.
Plus there are many bigger than at 20series outback. ( not many as good looking though lol :) )
Free camping in a national park could be challenging in a few spots but as long as you are aware of your hight you will be fine.
Expandas downunder is an awesome site for information, checkout the "my jayco" and the "new members" threads for much more in depth info.
:welcome: To the 20 series

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
I vote the 20.63.1 unless you need additional bedding that the 21 provides. We got the bed conversion kit for the slide out lounge so we can sleep 6 in ours. Love the interior space in ours and we have had no probs getting into either caravan parks or free camping thus far. I just make sure when booking I let them know the size of our expanda.

Reactions: Patons

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
G'day, we have a 21.64 and it is great. The space is fantastic and plenty of sleeping options for the kids.
The overall length from coupling to open bed at rear is 9.4m. I should add, we have an extended drawbar. As you can see, we tow ours with a Jeep GC.
photo.JPG

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
G'day, we have a 21.64 and it is great. The space is fantastic and plenty of sleeping options for the kids.
The overall length from coupling to open bed at rear is 9.4m. I should add, we have an extended drawbar. As you can see, we tow ours with a Jeep GC.
View attachment 23769
Ha were you at racv resort inverloch last weekend ? We were there and what you know expandas every were

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Nice park ha should off knocked on door but didn't see you around crap weather ha . Water proof bed fly coming now just got to work out witch one to go for ? Bed held up very well though all dryed out by sunday lunch time

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
View attachment 23769
Apologies for the slight hijack, but whats the towing of the bigger vans like with the Jeep? economy and power/speed etc.

BJ

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
The Jeep seems to have a 3500kg towing capacity, so no problem towing a 21.64-1 with nearly 500kg to spare.
Was going to say the Grand Cherokee's have a 3500kg towing rating so no problems with legalities as long as under that, was more wondering about how it holds the speed and power. My Challenger is rated at 3000kg towing and it sucks towing a 1700kg van! Would never dream of trying anything heavier. When the lease is up on this one I will be looking very hard at what my options will be.

BJ

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
It tows the van without an issue, sits really well on the highway at 90-95kmph. The Jeep GC diesel is rated 3500kg with max 350kg on the ball. On our recent trip we averaged around 14l/100km which I am very happy with. Hope that helps

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome @PeterE, no ones mentioned an 18 yet so I will. Ours suits us perfectly, being the discontinued 57-6 it only sleeps 4, wife, 2 kids and myself with enough room inside for us.....cater for yourself I recon, don't worry about someone else's kids! :p
Cheers.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Was going to say the Grand Cherokee's have a 3500kg towing rating so no problems with legalities as long as under that, was more wondering about how it holds the speed and power. My Challenger is rated at 3000kg towing and it sucks towing a 1700kg van! Would never dream of trying anything heavier. When the lease is up on this one I will be looking very hard at what my options will be.

BJ
Dont look past the AWD diesel territory I got one towing a 20/63-1 power heaps to spare fuel very good have had it down to 11.9 towing and up to 14 no complaints here only thing is the 2700 kg towing but we in that by around 200 kg very happy with car.

Reactions: skippy

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Dont look past the AWD diesel territory I got one towing a 20/63-1 power heaps to spare fuel very good have had it down to 11.9 towing and up to 14 no complaints here only thing is the 2700 kg towing but we in that by around 200 kg very happy with car.
Thanks @brotys we will be doing A LOT more research when the time comes, but I may be hard pressed getting swmbo into a ford - even though she drives one now (Mazda) ;)

BJ.

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi mate.

Have u thought of one of these?? This will be my next van "one day" fingers crossed!!

http://www.jayco.com.au/range/caravans/the-starcraft/ ? 20.63-2?

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Carav...-STARCRAFT-Van/Edwardstown/SA/AdNumber=GYRBK9

Reasons as follows;

Full bed - stop waking each other up when we need no 1s during the night (as we age!)

Rear fold up bunks - flexibility of extra storage when travelling ie bikes / pets / kids etc

Either way u ll have fun

Good luck mate and looking forward to following your posts :)

Reactions: twscoot

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
That Starcraft is very popular I love the layout too
Still think the expanda has more room but for the same size the downside the expanda doesn't come std with esc and the Starcraft does