Advice needed please - which car would you recommend?

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
well my partner has a landcruiser load the cruiser up and pulls the van,i also wanted a 4wd to pull the van i brought a hyundai terracan it pulls my 16 foot expanda fine its 3000 turbo diesel at 100000 kms $23,000 2006 model ,their alot cheaper now it what you can afford in the long run

How many people do you fit in your Terracan? The third row of seats in the 7 seater looks quite squishy? I don't think my 16yr old would fit in the back but the other kids are all in car seats so they'd need to be in the middle row?

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
when i brought my terracan which was 8 hours away i put my teenage kids in 3rd row,but now i put my kids which are in car seats in the third row seat and teenages in the middle,i have sat in the third row seat and im a big person its was abit squishy depending on where you travelling i class this terracan as a ladys 4wd its comfortable nice,good on diesel i did get new radiator put in after it went in limb mode going up hill towing radiator had a blockage,but pulling van from canberrA 3 hours drive away didnt even notice the weight at all and car was full 7 passengers,brotyher inlaw had a pajero v6 i was comparing boot room in mine to his,the seats were folder in the floor greqt to get more space but seats nearly sit on floor in terracan they fold up to either side but come of higher of floor so you coulkd sit with normal without spreading or bending your legs,but terracan had heaps more boot area than pajero,terracan 2nd row seats have 3 poistion so you can push seats up higher when using back seats,my son has own car only time then i can possiable
take out 3rd row if i like,hard when travelling roof onky hold 35 kilos but recently seen a travelling rack like a bike rack u put on tow ball for extra storage which is brillant

Reactions: Tayla

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mmmmm
lots of good points on here, I like most are biased towards 1 brand - and I have my feet in Both Camps
I have a 100series Kakadu - great for everything, but thirsty for towing (when I drive)
and a GU Patrol for the towing and touring duties

if you look hard enough, there are faults in ALL vehicles (worm can exploding now)
Patrol - ZD30 - tick tick BOOM with the first 2 series motors
- 3.0CRD - must have clean fuel
- 4.2TDi - tow all day - it takes that long to get anywhere ( got one)
LandCruiser - 100 series Diesel - underpowered
- Petrol - thirsty when towing (I know I have one)
- 200 series too $$$$ to buy and the V8s diesel use as much oil as fuel to run

these I know because I have owned or do own at the present.

me? I would recomend a PRADO - long range baby LandCruiser

the myths about the costs for Injectors - yes, they are all expensive, but - if your leasing - you will only keep for 3 to 5 yrs anyway so you dont need to worry about that.
my thoughts on "chipping" cars is very bad - if you need to chip it - get a bigger engine.......................

now, as you said Tayla, maybe make a spread sheet (or 2 different sheets)
1 sheet - ALL the cars / 4WDs that you know, like, interested in -LC, Patrol, Prado, Pajero etc once you have filled that in, put it to one side
2nd sheet - ALL the tings you need - 6 seats, 3000Kg towing, etc etc and what you want from it - spot of fishing when camped, outback touring etc, dont limit your "wants" I want to drive in comfort, I want to tow at 100km up Mt Dandenong (dunno never been) I always say Greenmount as it is here in Perth.
you know what I mean.....???

go back to your first list and cross off ALL that WONT do what you want.

what ever is left, is what to look for. and look at whats in your price range.

that is about my 0.05c worth.

cheers

Reactions: Tayla

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
Hi Tayla,
we have an 18.57 and have towed it with a petrol Prado for the past couple of years, towed ok and weighed In just under 2500kg. We have just upgraded to a 200 series for peace of mind and stopping ability. Valuable cargo (2 girls) is far more important than money.
if you are looking at upgrading the van, go with the 3000 plus tow vehicles, personal opinion but I just don't see the safety in towing a big van with some of the questionable tow capacity dual cabs out there at the moment, will pull but will they stop. Apologies to the dual Cab owners, just giving my opinion and that is what a forum is about.

Reactions: Tayla and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I quite agree with you there Kingy,
easy to tow with just about anything - but stopping is a very important part of the equation....

and how long will it last????

cheers

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Tayla You might get a good deal at the moment with End Of Financial Year sales starting. Toyota were doing GXL Diesel Auto Prados for $60990, great value for money and the Prado has great resale also.

I have 150 Prado and pick up my new 200 LC on Monday. Both good cars. Budget is definately a big factor at the moment so shop around and play hard with the dealers to get the best deal!

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
Tayla You might get a good deal at the moment with End Of Financial Year sales starting. Toyota were doing GXL Diesel Auto Prados for $60990, great value for money and the Prado has great resale also.

I have 150 Prado and pick up my new 200 LC on Monday. Both good cars. Budget is definately a big factor at the moment so shop around and play hard with the dealers to get the best deal!

We were thinking the same thing re the EOFYs but thinking we will try and take advantage of it next year, not ready to upgrade car yet...