Electrical Adding a 12V panel

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I need a couple more 12V outlets for when I am of staying the grid, after doing a search on what is avaliable I have decided to put one of these in BAINTECH_DC_Dist_5462e7093bd00.jpg

I would like to take the power for the panel from the Setec instead of a dedicated run from the battery that way when the battery switch is off this panel will have no power to it meaning the volt meter won't be able to draw the battery down.

Does anyone know if there is spare room in the Setec?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I fitted similar @Axl but they were seperate units.... The setec on ours had a couple of spare connections so wired them all to the one outlet. Guessing you should find yours would also.

Reactions: Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Thanks for the info @dagree I have seached the forum and found out how to remove the Setec so I can have a look what is hooked into it, now where to put the panel?

I am thinking in the overhead cupboard door directly above the Setec. I need the extra points to power the TV and Satking decoder when off grid and these items sit up on the overhead cupboards once we are set up, I will just have to see if I can get the 6mm2 twin core wire up to the panel neatly some how.

bd5451488156425878048.jpg

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
There was no spare points on our setec when I removed it recently. But Jayco has also doubled up some wiring on a single point so I did the same.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Axl
If you can get the wires up to that spot why not fit the panel on top of the cupboard (If it fits)? That way you won't need the wires lengthened to allow for opening the door and the TV cable etc won't be protruding forward.

Reactions: Axl and bigcol

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
There was no spare points on our setec when I removed it recently. But Jayco has also doubled up some wiring on a single point so I did the same.

Thanks for the info @achjimmy I will do the same if it is required.

@Axl
If you can get the wires up to that spot why not fit the panel on top of the cupboard (If it fits)? That way you won't need the wires lengthened to allow for opening the door and the TV cable etc won't be protruding forward.

I like that idea thanks @dagree.

another thought...........

are you able to slip the cable in between the shower and the wall...........????

Funny you mention that @bigcol, I am on the nightshift and as I was falling asleep this morning I had the exact same thought.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
not too sure of your cabinet making / carpentry skill set, but

(there is always a BUT eh.....?)

what about, on the side of the shower (with the cables running in between) make a little box to house it and mount it there?

cons: (bad bits......... :( )
cabinet work
wiring through shower stall side
maybe in the way on bench top
same if mounted on wall
hard to see

Pro's (I like these bits :) )
mount under cupboard out of the way on wall side
mount on side wall of shower high enough to see & use for TV
still bench space for food prep area - coffee machine
neat
petite
sweet

Reactions: dagree

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
not too sure of your cabinet making / carpentry skill set, but

(there is always a BUT eh.....?)

what about, on the side of the shower (with the cables running in between) make a little box to house it and mount it there?

cons: (bad bits......... :( )
cabinet work
wiring through shower stall side
maybe in the way on bench top
same if mounted on wall
hard to see

Pro's (I like these bits :) )
mount under cupboard out of the way on wall side
mount on side wall of shower high enough to see & use for TV
still bench space for food prep area - coffee machine
neat
petite
sweet

Thanks for the ideas @bigcol it gives me plenty to think about, when I fly home next week we are going out to the dam with the Expanda for a week so whilst I am relaxing, unwinding, drinking, eating, sleeping and not doing much else I will have a good look around the van to see if I can work out what can be done:D.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
my biggest problem is I over think the solution, and over engineer whats needed............

head full of garbage will always have some pearls in there - sometimes........

I’m a bit the same mate but I will be using the KISS principle on this one8-), there are plenty of mouldings/conduits that you can use to hide electrical cables that are exposed these days so I will be taking whatever is the easiest route so to speak;).

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I hear what your saying @Axl and KISS is always the best
but
I hate the look of conduit.................

just my personal opinion........

Again I'm a bit the same @bigcol, but if I could find something like this in a brown colour to match the shower wall it might not look to out of place.

1179d6cd-e1c2-4bd9-b896-3a2d8e7601f4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Axl I used simalar 25x12 conduit to hide a reversing cam cable on the 16:49-3. It was in a corner where to white panels met and you never noticed it.

Is there no 12v in that overhead cupboard?

Is there a gap in the corner between van cabinet and shower wall? where they fold the shower panel it has a raduis that may allow a wire down?. The other option depending on the draw and gauge of wire if you remove that cover strip can you squeeze a wire in there?

Personally I d go the conduit. It's super neat and if fastened on with quality double sided tape it looks neater than screwing as screw distort it slighty and are noticeable.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since we have the same Van you won't find a spare slot on your Setec so just piggy back one of the others, first check which wires are what as if like mine the tags didn't match the cables, I retagged them all. Fitting the panel in the door ??? Yuck, no, not a good idea....run your cable from the Setec thru the cupboard and out one of the holes to the back of fridge then up into the A/C cavity you can then feed it thru into the cupboard where I would fit the panel either on top or underneath but not in the door, actually you could fit next to the air intake vents of the AC.
I fitted a TV swing rack from the panel where the mains circuit breaker is, quite solid and hasn't ripped out yet so must be okay.
Disconnect your battery when you do it, first time I just switched it off then when the sparks flew everywhere I found that the Pos wire had never been fixed to the switch it was just jammed in the slot !!!!!!!!! Every connection has now been inspected and I found some dodgy one's.

Or you could just pick the power up from the radio circuit, there is also 12v power in the AC cavity.

Reactions: bigcol and Axl

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So Axl !! do we call you shaft for short ?????????....................lol,lol, I crack me up....if your ever up The Lockyer Valley way give a call we can swap notes, I have a van site here with power as well, may need a FWD for my drive but "not a problem".

Reactions: bigcol

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Axl I used simalar 25x12 conduit to hide a reversing cam cable on the 16:49-3. It was in a corner where to white panels met and you never noticed it.

Is there no 12v in that overhead cupboard?

Is there a gap in the corner between van cabinet and shower wall? where they fold the shower panel it has a raduis that may allow a wire down?. The other option depending on the draw and gauge of wire if you remove that cover strip can you squeeze a wire in there?

Personally I d go the conduit. It's super neat and if fastened on with quality double sided tape it looks neater than screwing as screw distort it slighty and are noticeable.

A lot of good ideas there @achjimmy thanks mate, I was thinking I would need a dedicated run for this panel as I am unsure of the size of the wire Jayco uses for the 12V stuff but if the original wiring is up to it I will tap in.

When I ran power around the soft floor I used 6mm2 for everthing as this would handle all of the loads I would be pulling no worries but I may be able to go to a smaller size in this situation.

When the TV, Staking decoder and Sat dish are all on they will pull around 5-6amps, we maybe charging a phone or tablet at the same time so another amp or two brining the total draw if using all the panel to around the 8amp mark. This may not be a problem if the wiring is only runnig a light as all my internal lights are LED's.

Since we have the same Van you won't find a spare slot on your Setec so just piggy back one of the others, first check which wires are what as if like mine the tags didn't match the cables, I retagged them all. Fitting the panel in the door ??? Yuck, no, not a good idea....run your cable from the Setec thru the cupboard and out one of the holes to the back of fridge then up into the A/C cavity you can then feed it thru into the cupboard where I would fit the panel either on top or underneath but not in the door, actually you could fit next to the air intake vents of the AC.
I fitted a TV swing rack from the panel where the mains circuit breaker is, quite solid and hasn't ripped out yet so must be okay.
Disconnect your battery when you do it, first time I just switched it off then when the sparks flew everywhere I found that the Pos wire had never been fixed to the switch it was just jammed in the slot !!!!!!!!! Every connection has now been inspected and I found some dodgy one's.

Or you could just pick the power up from the radio circuit, there is also 12v power in the AC cavity.

Cheers @Drover I will be looking at tapping into an original run now, I will also look at where to place the panel again. I don’t mind it being in the cupboard door but I am now wondering if it will fit on the panel near the AC as you have mentioned.

Have a look at this stuff from bunnings
http://www.bunnings.com.au/cable-management-dline-2m-quand-wood-cvr-adhesive_p4430330

There are all sorts of joiners and corners etc too. I used it in my last van with great effect.

Thanks for the link @relgate, I can feel a trip to the big green shed coming up.

So Axl !! do we call you shaft for short ?????????....................lol,lol, I crack me up....if your ever up The Lockyer Valley way give a call we can swap notes, I have a van site here with power as well, may need a FWD for my drive but "not a problem".

Hahahah luv it, mate just don’t call me late for dinner......Funny thing forum names I chose mine as a bit of a dedication to my first dog and still today the best mate I’ve ever had. I got him at 19 and he was taken away from me 12 years later by the jack dancer, even now at 42 I still think about him thanks to my forum name.

Being a member of several different forums fishing, camping, caravanning and 4W driving I choose to use the same name (as many people do) so as to keep a bit of consistency. It is amazing how many people you see on these forums as we all share the same hobbies:D.

I would love to drop in one day and catch up we will have to organise something as time permits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and bigcol