14' Series Access to spare tyre

Tiger

Jan 16, 2013
Frankston, Vic
G'day all, I'm new to the forum and have an issue accessing the spare tyre situated within the A-Frame/Draw Bar the gas bottles protrude into the draw bar on both sides by some 60mm thus being unable to remove spare tyre without removing one of the gas bottles including the frame. Our van is the 14.44-5 Outback and is 4 months old, I have contacted Jayco and at this stage they are reluctant to rectify the problem. I would like to know if anyone else has this issue and what can be done.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome Tiger, I feel your pain. I have a 14' OB but it has a rear bed and a front boot where my gas bottles live. I do have a jerry can holder on the A frame but does not block the wheel coming out, just makes it a pain to get at. I have been trying to get a wind down mechanism (as used on utes) to fit the spare under the back but they are as scarce as hens teeth. Someone on the forum has modified the rack at the front with a hinge setup to lower it from its existing position. If you are handy with a welder this might be an option.

Tell us a bit about yourself and your rig, and where you are from. We all like pictures of rigs and mods.

Reactions: Tiger

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Bushman who is a member on here has experienced this with his 2010 16' brought it up with Jayco but I'm not sure what the end result was. Its a common thing unfortunately.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
If you search on the forum you will find a few posts on this subject. Back then we were talking about this being a design flaw. That would have been at least a year ago. I can't believe a van 4 months old still has the same problem. You would think they would rectify the issue.
Welcome to the forum by the way Tiger.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Welcome Tiger I thought I had put up a photo or two of my spare mounted under the back with a spare wheel winch but I cant find them , so maybe I didnt I'll take a few and put them up tomorrow, I bought a second hand one at the 4wd Wreckers, for around $70, I do remember someone else mentioning that they had bought one from someone who fits gas tanks to cars

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Tiger
I know it's too late for you but if anybody else is on the process of placing a order for a new van with twin gas bottles, go for the extended draw bar as this solves the problem with the spare wheel removal. I had heard about this problem and got the extended draw bar with mine and all is good.
I really don't know how Jayco could think it would be ok for owners to remove gas bottles to use the spare??

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Tiger, I wasn't aware of that problem...that would suck if you had a flat! Sounds like a mod of some sort like chartrock said or modify/move bottle holders or as mentioned move spare underneath to the rear. It's almost unbelievable that Jayco havn't changed design, just like the bloody shower walls.

I reckon with the input of forum members a cracka of an expanda could be designed!! Anyway let us know what you do.

Cheers.

Tiger

Jan 16, 2013
Frankston, Vic
G'Day All, I have spoken with the customer service dept at Jayco and explained my issue unfortunately I didn't get much joy over the phone, the next step is to send a detailed letter and I will include pictures of the the problem. It looks like I will have to make some mods myself will keep you posted, thanks for the replies.

Swift12

Sep 10, 2012
Mordialloc
Guys... Really how hard is it to unclip the gas bottle and disconnect the gas line to lift the spare out? Also just how often do you need to change a tyre? Not very often I would think!

Just sayin :tape:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Guys... Really how hard is it to unclip the gas bottle and disconnect the gas line to lift the spare out? Also just how often do you need to change a tyre? Not very often I would think!

As I read it you also need to remove a bracket as well?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Bushman who is a member on here has experienced this with his 2010 16' brought it up with Jayco but I'm not sure what the end result was. Its a common thing unfortunately.

Thats would be correct, I got nowhere with Jayco, dealer said they couldn't fix the problem without approval from Jayco.

I still haven't done anything about it myself, but will be looking into it soon, as coming back from the Vic High Country meet I got a flat, however I just happen to be in the Caravan Park when I found it, but was still a P-I-A having to remove both gas bottle to get the spare. also as note in my other post you can't use the supplied wheel brace to remove the retain bolt on the spare, however the handle for the drop jack solves that problem, or carrier a 4 wheel brace.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/93-Spare-wheel-removal-16-49-3

Tiger

Jan 16, 2013
Frankston, Vic
Hi Swift12, normally this sort of problem wouldn't phase me but when I've spent quite a few of the hard eared $$$ on a brand new van I would have thought that the designers would have had more sense, than to place the gas bottles inside the draw bar, and also the response that I received from Jayco wasn't adequate either, they also said something about not having to change a tyre that often but the reason I found this problem was that I had a pinhole in the rim resulting in a slow leak, thankfully the staff at Bayswater Jayco have organised a replacement under warranty, also I'm glad I found this problem while changing the tyre in the safety of my backyard and not on a busy freeway or late at night out in the scrub with the family. As I explained earlier the complete gas bottle including the frame had to be removed to access the tyre which took maybe half an hour I just don't want to be doing that in a dangerous situation. Just replying. Tiger

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
G'day all, I'm new to the forum and have an issue accessing the spare tyre situated within the A-Frame/Draw Bar the gas bottles protrude into the draw bar on both sides by some 60mm thus being unable to remove spare tyre without removing one of the gas bottles including the frame. Our van is the 14.44-5 Outback and is 4 months old, I have contacted Jayco and at this stage they are reluctant to rectify the problem. I would like to know if anyone else has this issue and what can be done.
I have a new 14.4-5 OB and had the same issue. Complained to dealer and to Jayco. They replied but just said they would take it 'on board' and pass on my concerns to the R&D team. My solution was to purchase and install a spare tyre bracket for the rear bumper. I found removing the tyre from the original position as very tedious and dangerous if required on the side of the road. Will use space in frame for a basket/ storage box of some kind. Have photo if required.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide

Not just un lipping the gas bottle but undoing the bottle holder bracket and swinging it back out of the way. Requires two shifters at least to hold the nut and undo the bolt(s). Undoing two of the four is sufficient to be able to swing the bracket out of the way.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Not just un lipping the gas bottle but undoing the bottle holder bracket and swinging it back out of the way. Requires two shifters at least to hold the nut and undo the bolt(s). Undoing two of the four is sufficient to be able to swing the bracket out of the way.

You shouldn't have to reomve the bracket as well, just both bottles, fortunately the only time I've had to do it was in a CP when I found the flat

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Sorry about the spelling errors! I had to remove one bottle from its bracket an unbolt one set of bolts from its bracket so I could swing the bracket away. This was the only way I had enough clearance to remove the tyre. I have now mounted the spare on the rear bumper, I wasn't going to want to do this on the side of the road in an emergency!
Don't know why un-doing got auto corrected as un lipping??

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014

gotta agree with you there Burnsy, if i brought a car with a spare under the floor in the boot or wagon i wouldn't complain about emptying the boot to get at it ....... i have to remove these spares a couple of times a week when we have them for service, i just slide both bottles out and undo the spare takes 2 minutes, i've never had to remove a gas bottle frame.

Also the reason ppl are not getting any satisfaction from a dealer is ...... "thats how it's made, we can't charge jayco for warranty work to modify a van from standard" if you want it modified from standard than i'm sorry you will have to fork out cash. we strike this all the time with ppl wanting things changed. someone has to pay for the work, if head office refuses, than the dealer isn't going to wear the cost.

Having defended Jayco, i'll now say their R&D department is a laughing stock .... they seem to develop stuff but do no research
here are a few i've seen .......
new camper door with a 50mm gap at top
wardrobes that hit window pelmets so won't open
battery hatches that batteries won't fit thru
putting a slideout switch on the other side of slideout so you can't reach it unless the slideout is out
putting storage hatches behind awning arms
putting windows and lights where annex track "has" to go
stupid wheel caps that need to be removed to change tyres <----- hate that one

and last but not least, top of my pops .... pantry cupboard near door that if it swings open the handle won't let main door open as they interlock and you are instantly locked out, had to lift van with floorjack to get pantry door to swing shut to open main door for a couple at a park

Reactions: asis

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
The
G'Day All, I have spoken with the customer service dept at Jayco and explained my issue unfortunately I didn't get much joy over the phone, the next step is to send a detailed letter and I will include pictures of the the problem. It looks like I will have to make some mods myself will keep you posted, thanks for the replies.
response I got from Jayco was to just bad luck. "How often do you need to change a van tyre anyway?" Ended up moving mine to the rear. Now want to find a use for the front 'tray' where the spare was. Jackson holders?