ACCC takes action against Jayco

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
very interesting..
I do agree Vans are not cheap.

“Caravans are an expensive item, typically costing tens of thousands of dollars. People are entitled to expect that the caravan they purchase will be of acceptable quality, and that they will be afforded an appropriate remedy under the ACL consumer guarantees if their caravan fails to meet this standard.”

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
ACCC is an enormous bloated money pit and white elephant. The ACCC claims to have received over 1000 complaints and have instigated proceeding over only 4 of those complaints and even then the complaints date back 4 bloody years. The ACCC concluded that there is a systematic problems across the industry and "has put the caravan industry on notice" nice throw away line ... big chest beating threats something along the lines of lift your game because we may well prosecute anywhere up to 0.4% of the reported complaints.

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
and considering that out of those 1000 reported cases - Jayco were probably only 4
and
its the 4 that they CAN charge and chase Jayco for

the main problem (I have been lead to believe) that several of the "big named players" in caravan building - they are $2.00 shelf companies
where as Jayco is not. (a shelf company)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats what is needed @skippy , for sure................the ACCC action or big words in regards to car companies hasn't caused much either but at least it's a start I suppose............................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
State and Federal consumer laws already contain the basics of what would be compatible with the so called Lemon Laws, and have been in place in one incarnation or another for many many years. Our problem is not the laws, its the application of those laws which is the exact same problem that plagues us repeatedly in most areas. We have massive and expensive govt depts bursting at the seams with way too many people that squander extraordinary amounts of money, are nauseatingly inefficient and pay lip service to the legislation, and their own core values. And each and every one of these sheltered workshops from local councils up, and are led by a gaggle of bureaucrats on incomes most of us could only dream of. These squeezers champion the rights of us peasants, yet the results are always pitifully and painfully the same; lacking at best, non existent at worst and nearly always incompetent; and then you can add the extraordinary timeframes

This Jayco thing is a case in point; 4 prosecutions from 1000 complaints over 4 years. Really?? Are you kidding me??

Vic Consumer Affairs policy is they only take on a minute pooth'teenth of any breaches reported, and then only the ones they decide ... based not on any formula or guidelines but more some random Tuesday'itis or "gut feel" kind of deal. There's plenty of legislation, but precious little bureaucratic bite ... your literally just rolling the dice with half the numbers missing with organisations that are too internally focused and dont know there place.

Last edited:

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
I find it interesting to read the problems they had with the vans. I’ve had more of the same.

Both bed end tents replaced
Roof skirt replaced
Roof struts realigned four times
Roof clips replaced
And still need to take it in for a fifth time to have it fixed.
Shower leaked
Toilet leaks
Van stays not bolted in
Cupboards not screwed in

When I asked for a replacement was told not to worry it will all be warranty. The question is should it have to be rather than replace or refund.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Interesting stuff.
In my experience jayco have always been very good with warranty (although you need to be assertive)
At least they have a network to back warranty up.

Will ne interested to see how it pans out.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
We had our 16 footer replaced under warranty as a good will on behalf of Jayco, yes we had some issues getting the outcome of a new rebuild, but how many other manufacturers will replace a van that they know was a lemon.

After getting the rebuild from Jayco and having a great replaced van, we decide a couple years later we would upgraded to the bigger 20-64.01OB and haven’t look back since.

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I am cynical.................

but out of the thousands of complaints to Vcat, Qcat and whatever the NSW equivalent is...
why "pick" on Jayco

one of their main selling points is their after sales service and warranty

why not one of the many many others that have constant complaints on faceache and forums

only 2 answers I can think of

1) Jayco are not a shelf company, run by other shelf companies

2) Jayco genuinely care about their brand and name

as I said, I am Cynical and find the reason why incredibly lame compared to the complaints about other Van manufactures

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I am cynical.................

but out of the thousands of complaints to Vcat, Qcat and whatever the NSW equivalent is...
why "pick" on Jayco

one of their main selling points is their after sales service and warranty

why not one of the many many others that have constant complaints on faceache and forums

only 2 answers I can think of

1) Jayco are not a shelf company, run by other shelf companies

2) Jayco genuinely care about their brand and name

as I said, I am Cynical and find the reason why incredibly lame compared to the complaints about other Van manufactures
I think it has something to do with Trump and the Russians ... and the grassy knoll ??