A kimberly trip

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
hi there to all were planning a trip up into the kimberlys around next june does any body know of any must see and do places
they could let me in on ?

cheers russell

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day BP, remind me when I get home in November and I can help you. We did the trip a few years back and it is probably one of the mbest places in Oz to visit. Where in SA is Lobethal? We will be returning through SA in a couple of weeks via the Nullarbor.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day Russell,

We travelled the Kimberley region back in 2004 & as Chartrock said it's still one of the best trips we have done. A few memorable places would be Kununurra, Lake Argyle, Bungle Bungles, El Questro, Gibb River Road, Tunnel Creek, Wyndjana Gorge (spelling) Mitchell Falls, King Edward River, Kalumbaru. Also Broome, Derby & Cape Leveque. Just Google any of those places & you'll find heaps of info.
There is a lot of info on the web about the Kimberley & a good site is "exploroz.com" Its full of helpful info & current conditions.
Wish it was me going again but have a daughter in year 10 & can't take her out of school like we used to.
Have a great time there it's a fantastic part of Australia.
Paul

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
WOW pmk sounds fantasic we will be taking our 13yr old with us along with the laptop to do what she has to do for schooling
russell

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
hey chartrock good ol sleepy town LOBY is where BOD said it is were on 3 acres if you want to stay a nite or 2 and check out the barossa and surrounding areas i actually own the servo/ bridgestone store in town .........
cheers russell

mcgonical

Sep 6, 2011
Canberra
I think PMK nailed it with that list of places in the Kimberly. I'd love to know how your van goes on the trip. We went through the Kimberly last year towing an Ultimate Camper but now we have a 16.49 Expanda I'm making a list of modifications to help us minimise problems in that type of terrain. I'm sure my experience is not too common but I did manage to get myself bitten by a brown snake on the Kurunje track - make sure you carry a first aid kit! The folks at Home Valley Station are the best and it's a great place to stay.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
hey chartrock good ol sleepy town LOBY is where BOD said it is were on 3 acres if you want to stay a nite or 2 and check out the barossa and surrounding areas i actually own the servo/ bridgestone store in town .........
cheers russell

G'day BP, we hadn't planned on dropping that far south in SA on the way back, but it sounds like a good offer. :tea: If time will permit I would like to call in. I'll get in touch closer to time (about 2 weeks)
Regards, Paul

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
HI guys thanks for some more info sounds like we will have to be away yor a year not six weeks .
On the way home we have talked about turning down the canning stock route off the tanami track down towards the gary junction road and back into alice .
Anyone heard of well equipt vans travelling the canning ?

cheers Russell

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day Russell,

Not sure about vans of any sort on the Canning stock Route. You might find more info on this on the Exploroz site but I dont think it's recommended even with a well equipt van.
I have travelled down the Tanami from Halls Creek to Alice Springs. Usually this a fairly good dirt road & if you drive to the conditions & take it easy it shouldn't be a problem with a van. Just check on fuel avail as I think Rabbit Flat closed late last year. Also it would be wise to check the current road conditions at the time you are travelling.

What ever you choose have fun, sounds like a great trip.

Paul

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
G'Day Russell,

We travelled the Kimberley region back in 2004 & as Chartrock said it's still one of the best trips we have done. A few memorable places would be Kununurra, Lake Argyle, Bungle Bungles, El Questro, Gibb River Road, Tunnel Creek, Wyndjana Gorge (spelling) Mitchell Falls, King Edward River, Kalumbaru. Also Broome, Derby & Cape Leveque. Just Google any of those places & you'll find heaps of info.
There is a lot of info on the web about the Kimberley & a good site is "exploroz.com" Its full of helpful info & current conditions.
Wish it was me going again but have a daughter in year 10 & can't take her out of school like we used to.
Have a great time there it's a fantastic part of Australia.
Paul

I second all of the above places.
We did the Kimberley last year as part of a 3.5 month trip. We took our Expanda to all of the places mentioned above, except the Bungle Bungles. We started that part of the trip in Kunnunurra and spent 3 days there prior to hitting the GRR. Stayed 2 nights at El Questro (could have had a couple more. If you have a 4WD make sure you visit Explosion Gorge, great drive in...hehe).
If you plan on going up to Cape Leveque from memory, vans aren't allowed at Kooljamon, so we stayed for 6 nights at Middle Lagoon, fantastic spot (you can even get powered "sites" there.)

Any other questions, just ask.

Cheers,
Matty

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
I second all of the above places.
We did the Kimberley last year as part of a 3.5 month trip. We took our Expanda to all of the places mentioned above, except the Bungle Bungles. We started that part of the trip in Kunnunurra and spent 3 days there prior to hitting the GRR. Stayed 2 nights at El Questro (could have had a couple more. If you have a 4WD make sure you visit Explosion Gorge, great drive in...hehe).
If you plan on going up to Cape Leveque from memory, vans aren't allowed at Kooljamon, so we stayed for 6 nights at Middle Lagoon, fantastic spot (you can even get powered "sites" there.)

Any other questions, just ask.

Cheers,
Matty

G'Day Matty,

Are you able to take a van up Kalumburu Rd & into Mitchell Falls now? The road into the falls must have improved since 2004 I remember it being very rough getting in.

Paul

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
G'Day Matty,

Are you able to take a van up Kalumburu Rd & into Mitchell Falls now? The road into the falls must have improved since 2004 I remember it being very rough getting in.

Paul
Paul,
you can take an Expanda all the way to Kalumburu, we did, you just need to take your time doing it, as it is heavily corrugated up to the Mitchell Falls turnoff. Past there it becomes more of a single track in places but still OK if you take it easy.
We stayed 2 nights at the King Edward River campground and just did a day trip into the falls. The road wasn't great going in but I had been led to believe it was a lot worse than it was. It still took us 2.5hrs each way, without the van.

Cheers,
Matty

Reactions: PMK

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Paul,
you can take an Expanda all the way to Kalumburu, we did, you just need to take your time doing it, as it is heavily corrugated up to the Mitchell Falls turnoff. Past there it becomes more of a single track in places but still OK if you take it easy.
We stayed 2 nights at the King Edward River campground and just did a day trip into the falls. The road wasn't great going in but I had been led to believe it was a lot worse than it was. It still took us 2.5hrs each way, without the van.

Cheers,
Matty

Thanks Matty,

Thats the track I remember, I think it took us longer than that to get to the falls campground from the turn off. I know they have made some improvements to the camp ground since we were there but wasn't sure about the track in.

Paul

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi guys just another thought with those that have done the trip is it worth getting a WA national parks pass or just wing it and pay as we go since the majority will be bush camping ?
cheers russell

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day BP. We paid for an annual pass and found we saved quite a bit as entry was around $11 each time we went into a park (& there are lots in WA). But not many of the entrances were manned and were on the honour system so it would depend a lot on how honest you wanted to be. :roll: We also got our pass at concession rates. :embarassed:
Paul

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
Hi BP. I agree with Chartrock that the annual pass is the way to go if you intend to visit alot of parks, you don't want the ranger knocking on your window asking for your pass and you saying 'left it at the last place we saw.'
Just figure out how many parks you wish to visit and go for the cheapest option Paul