Exterior A-Frame Tool Box

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Look for some idea's with different setup's in regards to A-Frame tool boxes. It would need to enclose the gas bottles and ideally provide a mount for baby Q weber.

Any recommendation's on where and who to see?

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
One of our customers had this nice one made.

image0009.jpg

Customer.jpg

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Just out of curiosity, how are people mounting there toolboxes to the draw bar?

Drilled and bolted through the floor of the back half direct to the plate that the gas bottles used to sit on with large flat washers. Long bolts with a plate below the a-frame at the front.... Make sense?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Drilled and bolted through the floor of the back half direct to the plate that the gas bottles used to sit on with large flat washers. Long bolts with a plate below the a-frame at the front.... Make sense?

I've read on here also that it helps putting a section of marine ply at the base underneath the box to reduce vibrations.

Reactions: dagree

KevO

Aug 12, 2013
Cobar NSW

Yep that does make sense, thanks. And I think the marine ply idea will be used also. Now to get a toolbox from somewhere, freight is the killer at the moment

Peakay

May 14, 2013
Ballarat
just fitted it to mine last week.
I took off the 9kg bottles and swapped them for 4 kg as I don't use gas much. @crustt had trouble fitting 9kg in his, but they seamed to fit ok in mine tho. (Height)
Paid $480 from EzyTrail Campers and had it couriered out for another $55. They sent a badly made one where is was so warped the end door didn't close. It was a fight to get it swapped and even then had to waste my time returning it personally (there was a reason I got a courier first time)
The bed end clears it by about 30-40mm, (with 15mm structural ply under) and no problem with turning circle

And another 2 keys added to the ever growing key ring (1 for top, 1 for ends)

View attachment 25946 View attachment 25947 View attachment 25948 View attachment 25949

1) I'm in the process of fitting up a box like the one @straydingo has fitted. I'm curious if anyone would see any detrimental impacts on putting the plywood on the inside of the box rather than underneath it. that way i wouldn't need marine plywood, just structural plywood would be sufficient with perhaps some rubber stopping the aluminium from rubbing on the steel A-frame.

2) Do i need to install extra support under the box or can i just put 4 bolts through to the old gas bottle brackets.

3) If I weld onto the A-frame does this affect any chassis or other warranties? also insurance?

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
I used the appropriate size galv U-bolts and 9mm marine ply underneath the box. At work, I have seen the effect of ally tool boxes bolted directly to the ute tray, the ally rubbed away to nothing and the box was wrecked so IMHO it is a must to put marine ply or rubber or any other type of insulating material between the two metal surfaces. I figured the marine ply would possibly strengthen a little the floor of the box so that couldn't be a bad thing. The marine ply wasn't very expensive and didn't take very long to paint.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I cut the holes for the Gas Bottle holder to go through the floor of my box
there is rubber under the box on the A frame, and I Teck screwed it to the A frame.............