A couple of videos you may or may not have seen

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Good videos, thanks Bigman.

Funny how those safey glasses are protecting the top of her head, not her eyes:brick:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Q: "how long does an expanda take to make?"
A: "90 a week, divided into 38, so one every 20 minutes"

So is he saying it only took 20 minutes to make my expanda??? :)

Funny how those safey glasses are protecting the top of her head, not her eyes
I was more concerned with the person holding the router with only one hand

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Are you sure those vids are of the Jayco factory? I only saw one person with a tube of silicone in her hand. Surely that one person cannot be responsible for all the silicone in my van.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, On a point that straydingo raised about a van every 20 min i find that hard to believe even if everything was pre-cut and wired ready to assemble and after seeing the progress of maccayak's van where do they get 20 min from? I have seen those videos a few times on the manufacture process but i have also seen Jayco in USA on you tube and their extensive manufacture process. The name is the same and also the emblem, so i'm starting to think Jayco is a franchise of the US.

Has anyone who has done the tour actually seen the manufacture of the chassis frame (yes you do see them welding on suspension) or the aluminium wall frames being welded, or even the laminating process for the walls? Yet you see all this on the American video. I have also heard from a reliable source who was allowed access to a restricted area of the factory that they saw containers of chassis ready to attach the suspension . It looks to me that it's more like one huge assembly shop. Anyway i could be wrong but i'm just putting it out there, either way I still like Jayco's! :)

Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VvGVw3NJ5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYx51fbFyvs

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We didn't see the manufacture of the chassis, but did see them piled up ready to go off for a gal dip. So I guess they are made on site, otherwise why bring them to the factory to send off again for the dip.....

Although same logo etc, apparently Jayco Inc in the USA and Jayco Aust are only loosely related. Piecing together a lot of disjointed stories (so probably all crap) I think the story goes that Jayco Inc was founded in Indiana in 1967. in the early 70s the guy came over to Australia and started something with a mate here, Mr Motley or something, building from US parts under license. In the meantime Gerry Ryan went over to the us and liked the vans he saw so came back here and started building them, but with US parts also. One rumor was that he registered the names Jayco and Winnebago here (as allowed to do) without affiliation at the time. (He later sold the winnebage name off). Don't know what happend to Motley, but Wikipedia said he was still building them into the 90s (?). Jayco Aust is still an Australian company, but I gues has non-financial ties back to the US (other than purchasing parts)

???

And yes as Ragracing says, Jayco say they turn out a completed van on average every 20 minutes......

Tuco

Jul 16, 2012
Winnebaggo Oz - problems

One rumor was that he registered the names Jayco and Winnebago here (as allowed to do) without affiliation at the time. (He later sold the winnebage name off). Don't know what happend to Motley, but Wikipedia said he was still building them into the 90s (?). Jayco Aust is still an Australian company, but I gues has non-financial ties back to the US (other than purchasing parts)
*** not wishing to hijack the video thread ... but relevant to the quote.

Seems Winnebaggo Oz may be in a bit of strife ...

http://www.smh.com.au/business/court-rules-winnebago-brand-was-hijacked-20120730-23agh.html

Justice Foster has ordered the cancellation of the Winnebago trademark in Australia. But he indicated the vehicle dealers may be allowed some time to rebrand their businesses, considering the costs involved and the fact they had traded using the Winnebago brand name without objection for a long time.

Tuco