14' Series 6JJX15 wheel questions

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
I'm thinking of getting a second spare wheel for my new 14.44-5 Outback. The plate says the wheels are 6JJX15. I assume this means 15 inch diameter, 6 inch wide rim. What are the PCD and offset details?

Reactions: Marv_mart

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can't remember offhand but google carbible and you should come up with a site thats got everything about tyres and rims with all the info on how to measure up your rim.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
take your spare off. It should be cast on the back of the rim. I am interested in how you propose to carry it. My ultimate aim would be 2 x spares on the rear bar which would need to be modified, if only I had the money.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Should be but not on mine, made in Thailand wheel so may have missed out.......ha.
I always carry a tyre repair kit and have always managed to plug em, thankfully no major blow outs to date. Having said that, might just tie the spare tyre underneath and make sure the tyre levers are in the kit, I may have mozzed myself.

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
take your spare off. It should be cast on the back of the rim. I am interested in how you propose to carry it. My ultimate aim would be 2 x spares on the rear bar which would need to be modified, if only I had the money.
Initially I would carry it on the car roof in my alloy tray. Long term I would be looking at the rear bar like you.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Look in the coast to coast catalog. If it's a wheel from there they list the offset. The Chinese POS 15x6jj on the 2011 expandas were -9 offset iirc but it was listed in the coast to coast catalog as above.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Also looking for a spare rim and tyre
So far rim seems to be POS 6JJx15 (-9 offset) ??
Tyre is a 235/75R15 ??
Also want extra spare for GRR trip next year with second spare carried with BT50 second spare on the roof rack.
Any updates to this info?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Also looking for a spare rim and tyre
So far rim seems to be POS 6JJx15 (-9 offset) ??
Tyre is a 235/75R15 ??
Also want extra spare for GRR trip next year with second spare carried with BT50 second spare on the roof rack.
Any updates to this info?

That sounds like the right numbers except for the POS, I added that it stands for "piece of don't be rude" cause they are crap or the 2010-2011 rims were

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The J or JJ is the rim contour shape and the 6 denotes width (6")..........................
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html I have found this site to be an excellant accessory in the shed.
@Marv_mart looking at the calculator a 7JJ rim with those tyres would be better, I know I had 235's on a 6JJ and the extra sideways flex was scary at times had to drop down a couple of tyre sizes to get better stability and a 75 would have a pretty high sidewall to boot . Is that what it had on originally ??

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The J or JJ is the rim contour shape and the 6 denotes width (6")..........................
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html I have found this site to be an excellant accessory in the shed.
@Marv_mart looking at the calculator a 7JJ rim with those tyres would be better, I know I had 235's on a 6JJ and the extra sideways flex was scary at times had to drop down a couple of tyre sizes to get better stability and a 75 would have a pretty high sidewall to boot . Is that what it had on originally ??

Yep they put 235s on the 6". I don't think it's to bad tbh. It's worse with 16"s they put 245s on 8" rims :ambivalence:

Reactions: cruza driver

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
to alleviate the hassles of finding and extra rim to suit the Van - I am in the process of getting same rims as my Patrol, and fitting tyre to them
that way, the 2 I carry + the one on the Van should be MORE than enough to keep me in trouble......

Reactions: Drover

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I am just trying to match the existing rims/tyres so if I have a flat and have to change tyres, the van stays balanced.
Where do I look to see what my existing rims are?
They were the ones that came with the van, 14.44-5 OB 2012 model.
Van is in storage so will need to go out and look at existing spare?
Contact Jayco Adelaide? I thought most were pretty standard for all OB vans built in 2012-13,

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Usually stamped on the inside of rim, should be on comp plate as well I think. Probably find they are 1 ton rims as well. Some LT tyres will even have min rim size noted on them.
I refreshed my memory with all this when I had the idea to match the wheels with the Jeep, 5 stud 16" rims but after adding up 3 new rims, 3x tyres 245 R70 16 to suit ,2 x hub/drums I decided to just upgrade my tyre repair kit, it was heaps cheaper, we were looking at $1300 and that was mates rates.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
All outbacks came std with the 15x6 alloy with neg 9. It is rated for 1000kgs each which is interesting when your 16:49-3 is rated 2095 kg ATM !!! Heaps of headroom there Jayco???
If you optioned 16"s on your outback then there was two options both same wheel (16"x8", zero offset) but the options were 245/70-16 or 265/70-16 tyres, they dropped the 265s recently because the rocket scientist could not place the plastic inner guard on the chassis in the same place each time they made a van and so some rubbed (not helped by the fact the 16"s have a zero offset.) if you don't believe measure the distance between your tyre and inner guard both sides to see the difference ?

Fwiw and what I was planning to do before I sold the Expanda. If I was doing the GBR etc on a well loaded single axle van, I would run sunrasyia mine spec wheels and replace the ALKO outback springs with custom springs from a good supplier using a "military" wrap on the spring leafs.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
All outbacks came std with the 15x6 alloy with neg 9. It is rated for 1000kgs each which is interesting when your 16:49-3 is rated 2095 kg ATM !!! Heaps of headroom there Jayco???
If you optioned 16"s on your outback then there was two options both same wheel (16"x8", zero offset) but the options were 245/70-16 or 265/70-16 tyres, they dropped the 265s recently because the rocket scientist could not place the plastic inner guard on the chassis in the same place each time they made a van and so some rubbed (not helped by the fact the 16"s have a zero offset.) if you don't believe measure the distance between your tyre and inner guard both sides to see the difference ?

Fwiw and what I was planning to do before I sold the Expanda. If I was doing the GBR etc on a well loaded single axle van, I would run sunrasyia mine spec wheels and replace the ALKO outback springs with custom springs from a good supplier using a "military" wrap on the spring leafs.
Thanks for that info. Confirms what I have gathered so far.
Sunraysia wheels - cost? Available from? 6" JJ 15" rims? Marv